Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

He's been getting less reps than TJax and Kolb all of OTAs.

It's pretty likely he'll be a backup QB to start the season unless he does amazing in training camp/pre-season.

Do remember that the Rookies had a full week of OTA to themselves earlier. May be Marrone wants to be fair and give Kolb and TJ a shot.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do remember that the Rookies had a full week of OTA to themselves earlier. May be Marrone wants to be fair and give Kolb and TJ a shot.

Someone (can't remember where) said that perhaps they're giving KK and TJ more reps because they're only looking to keep one of them, and are trying to figure out which one, quickly. EJ will obviously make the team, although whether they are planning on starting him is unknown. Although I get the sense that with all the talk about not letting rookies start, it's a "the lady doth protest too much, methinks" and they're really planning on starting EJ, but don't want to let-on so that KK and TJ don't get discouraged and not give it their best effort in an attempt to get cut quickly.

Someone (can't remember where) said that perhaps they're giving KK and TJ more reps because they're only looking to keep one of them, and are trying to figure out which one, quickly. EJ will obviously make the team, although whether they are planning on starting him is unknown. Although I get the sense that with all the talk about not letting rookies start, it's a "the lady doth protest too much, methinks" and they're really planning on starting EJ, but don't want to let-on so that KK and TJ don't get discouraged and not give it their best effort in an attempt to get cut quickly.

This logic seems sound as well to me. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if he (EJ) starts the season as the backup, or has to *earn* the starting job in training camp/preseason. But this Kolb/TJax battle to see who makes the team also makes a lot of sense. Wonder how much they'd save if they cut one of them and kept the other rookie as the 3rd string guy.

Or save the roster spot and put Tuel on the practice squad.

IMO, the qbs will be:

Kolb, EJ, Brad Smith > Tuel to PS

This means we drop Tjax, and get an extra WR Slot where i would like to see:

SJ, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, Rodgers, and Kaufman (sp? the tall UDFA)

I'll be one of the first people to say, please dear god lets get rid of brad smith and open up the money and slot, but i have to admit, the guy can play a lot of positions and was terribly underused by the previous staff. I think his contract is 500k of dead money even if we cut him, which is less than he 3M + we will pay him, but he does give us a KR, WR, and ST player. Essentially, if you pay Min Wage for a player to take up each of those slots, you're looking at 1.5M - 2M anyway, it's not a bad deal to pay him a bit more to take up only 1 roster spot.

^^^^^^^^

I don't believe that Brad Smith has had any work at all at QB.

I believe the new coaching staff will allow him to compete exclusively as a wide receiver.

Thats what i read also.

Any chance of poor Tjax holding a clipboard again ? i feel so bad for this guy . Seriously.

If it was me I would start kolb dress tjax and have EJ hold the clipboard for awhile. Put Tuel on PS and wait for Kolb to get injured.

Not gonna happen and one of many reasons i could only coach first year Pop Warner. I'm soft hearted.

How often does a 3rd QB play, anyway? Much less win the game?

Not much. And never. My preference will be for the Bills to keep either Kolb or TJax (but not both), and Tuel as the 3rd.

Not much. And never. My preference will be for the Bills to keep either Kolb or TJax (but not both), and Tuel as the 3rd.

Same here, assuming Tuel shows anything. They may limit his play so as to stash him on the PS.

Same here, assuming Tuel shows anything. They may limit his play so as to stash him on the PS.

I'd only see that happening if they feel they really need the extra roster spot for another position (and feel they're ok with Smith as the emergency QB).

I'd only see that happening if they feel they really need the extra roster spot for another position (and feel they're ok with Smith as the emergency QB).

I'm thinking they'll need that extra roster spot for Smith as a WR, considering outside of Stevie and Easley (who is likely done), all the other WRs on the roster are rookies or first-year payers.

I'm thinking they'll need that extra roster spot for Smith as a WR, considering outside of Stevie and Easley (who is likely done), all the other WRs on the roster are rookies or first-year payers.

Graham's not a rookie and appears ready to step in. Woods is also considered by most to be NFL-ready. My take on the WR corps at this incredibly early juncture is:

SJ

TJ

Woods

Goodwin

Smith

Rogers

I'm one of the few here that likes Smith's versatility (I think?). In him, they have an emergency 3rd string QB without wasting a spot. He's proven (imo) to be reliable as a 4th or even 3rd WR. He's a solid KR, and was actually pretty dependable at picking up short yardage first downs when used out of the wildcat. He fits a few "holes" but only uses one spot.

Graham's not a rookie and appears ready to step in. Woods is also considered by most to be NFL-ready. My take on the WR corps at this incredibly early juncture is:

SJ

TJ

Woods

Goodwin

Smith

Rogers

True, Graham is neither a rookie nor a 1st year player. But as a 2nd year player, he's still very inexperienced.

I agree with your list, although I'd say one from among Kaufman, Hogan, or Elliott could make the team as well. Basically if Tuel shows enough that it's not worth risking cutting him to get him on the PS, you go with 3 just-QBs and 6 WRs, and the list you provided is reasonable, unless one (or more) of those 3 guys I mentioned really light-it-up. The Bills could go from having a weak WR corps last year to an embarrassment of riches there. Which would be a nice dilemma to have. Hopefully the same goes for QB.

I'm one of the few here that likes Smith's versatility (I think?). In him, they have an emergency 3rd string QB without wasting a spot. He's proven (imo) to be reliable as a 4th or even 3rd WR. He's a solid KR, and was actually pretty dependable at picking up short yardage first downs when used out of the wildcat. He fits a few "holes" but only uses one spot.

Same here. But me may lose out because of the potential of the younger guys, plus his salary.

No doubt he has good versatility. The main issue people have concerning him is his salary. Ultimately I think we have room for him next season and we'll see how it goes.