EJ's throwing motion is amazing

Seeing EJ Manuel in a live game, and not knowing he was going to be a Buffalo Bill at the time, I just remembered his ability to buy time, and that he was fearless.

One thing that stands out when looking at him as a pro player is his throwing motion is lightning fast. Compared to a guy like Jim Kelly or Fitz its night and day.

EJ just kinda flicks the ball from his ear and it's gone. He seems like a guy that would be very tough to strip the ball from because he's got huge paws and when he pulls the trigger his motion is so compact and quick that there isn't much of that vulnerable window where the arm is back and the ball is exposed.

I've watched his highlights before but never noticed until now. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYRCkpnnlIs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webster Guy, my good man, great point. They measured this on Sports Science and Manuel's release time was .333 seconds. Ironically they also put an "eye tracking" device on him to measure how quickly he locks on to a target. That took him .25 seconds. Ironic given the "slow eyes" commentary. Obviously, EJ's accuracy was also THE WHIP, gents!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLEMyMkDdU

Did Kelly have a slow release? (I never noticed or heard that before, or forgot in the intervening years.)

kj

I don't recall either. To say Fitz had a slow release would be inaccurate though. Fitz got rid of the ball quick.

I get the impression EJ could be the next Big Ben, only faster. Also, he doesn't seem at all like the type to get mixed up in the wrong stuff like Ben did. But if he resembles BB on the field, I'd be happy.

I don't recall either. To say Fitz had a slow release would be inaccurate though. Fitz got rid of the ball quick.

The OP probably means Manuel's release is way more effortless than FItz's and Kelly's. You're right, Fitz was known for his quick processing ability (hence the 48 on the wonderlic) and getting rid of the ball quick. But because his arm strength and athleticism is nowhere near Manuel's, he had to put more effort into the throw. Definitely why his longer throws suffered. Manuel seems to have everything you'd want in a franchise QB. And I'm counting on our new HC and his staff to develop him into a superstar.

Edited by ko12010

The OP probably means Manuel's release is way more effortless than FItz's and Kelly's. You're right, Fitz was known for his quick processing ability (hence the 48 on the wonderlic) and getting rid of the ball quick. But because his arm strength and athleticism is nowhere near Manuel's, he had to put more effort into the throw. Definitely why his longer throws suffered. Manuel seems to have everything you'd want in a franchise QB. And I'm counting on our new HC and his staff to develop him into a superstar.

You're probably right.

Ya know, looking at some of those throws above almost reminded me of Randall Cunningham. I was always amazed at how effortless it looked when Randall launched the ball 60 yards down field !!

EJ does appear to have all the tools to be a very good QB. I wonder if he'll be ready to start week 1 this year ?

It'll be an interesting year fer sher.....on both sides of the football !!

I do think EJ gets the ball out of his hands quickly but this video appears to be in fast forward mode making everything appear faster.

The other thing I really like about EJ's throwing is he's tall and throws tall.

Edited by Triple Threat

I'm not sure if this is the norm or the exception but on the minicamp recap videos and BB.com, he has the tightest spiral i've ever seen.

Webster Guy, my good man, great point. They measured this on Sports Science and Manuel's release time was .333 seconds. Ironically they also put an "eye tracking" device on him to measure how quickly he locks on to a target. That took him .25 seconds. Ironic given the "slow eyes" commentary. Obviously, EJ's accuracy was also THE WHIP, gents!

He can do that all in a half a second; I'm pretty sure i can't do anything but blink in that amount of time

I could be totally wrong somebody correct me if I am

- Fitz made very quick decisions (and they were mostly short passes because lets face it his deep ball accuracy was atrocious...so when he made a decision the ball was out....but depending on how far the ball was going downfield his full body windup was the definition of "effort"

- Manuel has night and day arm talent......and he carries the ball in a "cocked" position.....so when he makes his decision the ball is gone.....its "effortless" because he does not use his whole body to throw the ball.........and he throws it much further down the field

What we will need to see is if he processes information mentally as fast as Fitz did because lets face it......for all the bitching we did about Ryan Fitzpatrick if he actually had an NFL arm and was accurate he would have been a pro bowler every year.......but he wasnt

Seeing EJ Manuel in a live game, and not knowing he was going to be a Buffalo Bill at the time, I just remembered his ability to buy time, and that he was fearless.

One thing that stands out when looking at him as a pro player is his throwing motion is lightning fast. Compared to a guy like Jim Kelly or Fitz its night and day.

EJ just kinda flicks the ball from his ear and it's gone. He seems like a guy that would be very tough to strip the ball from because he's got huge paws and when he pulls the trigger his motion is so compact and quick that there isn't much of that vulnerable window where the arm is back and the ball is exposed.

I've watched his highlights before but never noticed until now. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYRCkpnnlIs

The play at 0:41 is something I can't wait to see. :thumbsup:

A few things. Thank you for the video link.

His release is why I think he will be a good NFL QB and why I think Geno Smith will be horrible. I believe he has a very awkward and slow release and it will cost him in the pros.

EJ seems to hold the ball rather high which should benefit him where Genos is lower. EJs release seems lightning fast and it seems effortless. In fact, in some of those videos I swear he looks like he's shot putting the ball down the field.

The play at 0:41 is something I can't wait to see. :thumbsup:

the long pass play right before it at about :37 and the long run at 1:05 is what I wanna see.

not on medium-long throws it wasn't. Guy had to contort his entire body to get the ball down the field.

Every time I watch EJ he reminds me of a tall version of Russell Wilson, except a stronger unpolished arm...I'd love that to be true. I'm hoping that FSU just didn't really know what they had.

Either way as a threat I don't see how to defend him. You 2 deep him he will roll out and create spacing with his feet for the underneath patterns, you man up and we have some of the fastest WRs in the NFL and a QB that can physically take on the blitz and get the ball out there. I'm excited, it may take a year or two but I know we are going in the right direction.

Did Kelly have a slow release? (I never noticed or heard that before, or forgot in the intervening years.)

kj

Jimbo's release was faster than normal but not in the league of Marino or Elway. It was still plenty quick enough.

Kelly's greatest asset as a passer was his incredible touch and accuracy in every and all conditions. I'm not sure what the exact number is but if you said that an NFL QB has to be able to make 15 different types of throws, Kelly could throw all 15 perfectly. Both Marino and Elway, while awesome passers tended to throw a bit of a flat trajectory ball sometimes.

Jimbo's passes always had the perfect trajectory for the play.

Also Jimbo threw the most beautiful deep balls of any QB I can recall.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

EJ better be really good cause he just seems to have all the tools and I really feel good about this selection

I'm just glad that whatever ends up happening with EJ, he has a much better team around him than JP, Trent, and Fitz for the first year or so. It's always boggled my mind how people bash JP and Trent relentlessly. Yeah, they failed. No question about it. But how many other QB prospects would've succeeded on the Bills during the last decade? It's been a mess, a total mess. Part of becoming a star player is being in the right organization at the right time. Every once in a while there's someone so good that they are the spark that turns around a franchise and can almost single handedly change the culture within the organization. These are guys like Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson, guys who would succeed no matter who drafted them. But that's incredibly rare. We all have to admit that the Bills as a team were horrible during Trent's and JP's tenures. From top to bottom. But I still fully believe Trent and JP might have succeeded elsewhere--they just needed to go to the right team at the right team. It was said Green Bay would have taken Losman had we not jumped up to get him. (Too bad for him). Buffalo, Cleveland, and Oakland have been black holes for QB's for a long time now. They literally had no chance. JP actually started getting pretty decent, but our organization was so unstable. It's been painful, but I believe Buddy Nix has added some serious talent to this roster and I believe Brandon made an awesome hire with Marrone. That's what gives me comfort--whether EJ starts this year or not, he's in a good spot. When was the last time we could honestly say that with a young Buffalo Bills QB?

Edited by ko12010

The fact that he can buy some time with his feet and hit guys in stride downfield should help with defenses crowding up front at least.

He seems to be a great prospect. Let's hope he flourishes.

Edited by jeremy2020