EJ's throwing motion is amazing

I don't disagree with your post. My point is that finding secondary receivers is a skill, and today it's a necessity. Montana wrote the book on this. Brady, Brees and of course Manning are doing this in todays new version of football.

And no, teams weren't beating down the door to draft Montana, Brees, or Brady. But what they did in the NFL speaks for itself.

Manuel has a much better skillset in terms of his arm and athleticism. I hope that with good coaching he can become a complete quarterback and make the Buffalo Bills Football team relevant. And again, I like the selection!

Right. I think my point is that we don't know whether Manuel has the ability to find secondary receivers quickly. He didn't run an offense at FSU that asked him to do it. But I get the perception folks think he can't do it -- which is unfair at this juncture.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, and I am pretty excited about EJ Manuel... but I do recall watching the "Gruden Camp" thing that ESPN shows, prior to the draft (not really imagining the Bills would ever take him), Gruden's biggest concerns about the way his undergarment sleeves clashed with his jersey (seriously, Gruden mentioned it like 10 times) and the way EJ handles the ball, especially while moving around in the pocket. I know, you were commenting specifically on his throwing motion (which I like too), but Gruden seemed to really be hammering home that he needs to protect the ball better.

In the video on buffalobills.com after he was drafted it show's him talking to Gruden and Gruden said something along the lines of "I see you fixed those sleeves"

I get the impression EJ could be the next Big Ben, only faster. Also, he doesn't seem at all like the type to get mixed up in the wrong stuff like Ben did. But if he resembles BB on the field, I'd be happy.

The OP probably means Manuel's release is way more effortless than FItz's and Kelly's. You're right, Fitz was known for his quick processing ability (hence the 48 on the wonderlic) and getting rid of the ball quick. But because his arm strength and athleticism is nowhere near Manuel's, he had to put more effort into the throw. Definitely why his longer throws suffered. Manuel seems to have everything you'd want in a franchise QB. And I'm counting on our new HC and his staff to develop him into a superstar.

I like the Big Ben comparison. Hopefully he won't hold onto the ball as long as Ben does though! Ben is taking a beating year in and year out.

if you don't consider Marino to be in the same conversation as the best QBs in history then I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like, as a Bills fan you just have it imbedded to hate him with all you've got.

Not sure why you rank Marcia so highly though if you hate Marino so much.

Marino was amazing. If he played on better teams and didn't have to play the Bills, he could have lost 5 SB's. The Dolphins always had the Bills in their way, and the Bills always had (except SB 25) a better NFC team in its way.

Manuel is very stimulating. The release is very important if its too quick it doesn't get the job done... too slow and......your late for work

This post is gonna rub some people the wrong way.

GO BILLS!!!

Right. I think my point is that we don't know whether Manuel has the ability to find secondary receivers quickly. He didn't run an offense at FSU that asked him to do it. But I get the perception folks think he can't do it -- which is unfair at this juncture.

It might be unfair to think he can't do it but it's fair to question whether he can.

The ability to read coverages and go through progressions is a question asked of all young, unproven QBs because in the end, many if not most QBs can't do it.

And we all know that intelligence and classroom excellence have little bearing on the ability to play NFL quarterback so even this asset of Manuel's doesn't dispel those questions.

I think the one QB in this rookie class who you can say seems to be able to do all those things is Matt Barkley.

But they'll all have to prove that they can do it in the NFL.

I like the Big Ben comparison. Hopefully he won't hold onto the ball as long as Ben does though! Ben is taking a beating year in and year out.

Great point and here's the irony:

People are concerned that a QB who runs too much exposes himself to a higher risk of injury but they overlook the fact that quarterbacks who extend plays in the offensive backfield (like Big Ben, like Rodgers) take a beating too.

It's not the running which exposes a running QB to risk, it's his failure to protect himself. Same with the pocket passer.

Sometimes you just have to curl up and eat the ball.

(First this disclaimer: the rest is of course depending on EJM not suddenly developing off the field issues, or Reevis disease, etc. The is 0 reason to believe he will, but, just covering the bases.)

If you take EJM's existing skill set, and he can get to 40-50% of Montana's ability to read a field and make the correct throw, and avoid the rush?

Then the Bills will be a consistent playoff team, whose down years are 8-8, like the Steelers, never mind relevant.

If EJM can get to 70-80% of Montana's ability?

Then EJM is a HOF, and the question will be: how many SBs will he win?

If EJM can get to 95-100% then he is the greatest QB of all time.

That's pretty much the scale.

Of course we know that's b.s.

There are players on this team that are locks to start at their position.

Sure., I understand that..However, what coach is saying is that everyone has a chance to unseat the incumbent and they should be working towards that. This is the biggest difference between the Bills and winning teams like the Steelers. Sitting in Pittsburgh, I watched every year their backups seamlessly filling in for the starters when they went down with injury (except on the OL). They had their backups prepared mentally to be starters. I am assuming this is what the Doug and Doug show is building back there in Orchard Park.