Mario Williams: no love for

I'm a huge proponent of women's rights, all women's rights, to the point of being a feminist, but frankly, I don't see any reason whatsoever she or any woman should keep that ring, regardless of what he did or said before. The ring is supposed to be 100% about their engagement and marriage. Regardless of who ended it and why, the engagement and marriage doesn't exist.

My stance as well. Maybe I'm clouded by being a man here, but it seems to me that if one party is supposed to pony up financially, they should get that back.... It's not supposed to be a financial penalty against him if he makes a mistake. If so, where's the returned commitment from the other party?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge proponent of women's rights, all women's rights, to the point of being a feminist, but frankly, I don't see any reason whatsoever she or any woman should keep that ring, regardless of what he did or said before. The ring is supposed to be 100% about their engagement and marriage. Regardless of who ended it and why, the engagement and marriage doesn't exist.

I alluded to it in my post, but a guy can change his mind. Women do it all the time.

I'm pretty much a social liberal and respect the rights of women.

That said there are at least two things in my book which trump any women's rights, either legal, traditional, or from a customary/protocol/etiquette standpoint.

1) Common !@#$ sense.

2) No double standards.

Men shouldn't be penalized because they are men. The application of the law should view men and women as equals which unfortunately is not always the case in family law and areas like that.

On the other hand, women should get the same pay for the same job as men do, which also isn't always the case.

The way I see it is... if you buy someone a gift, you don't get it back if your relationship ends. He bought her a gift as a sign of their engagement, she gets to keep it.

Sucks for him, next time he should make better decisions.

The way I see it is... if you buy someone a gift, you don't get it back if your relationship ends. He bought her a gift as a sign of their engagement, she gets to keep it.

This is exactly what I disagree with.

To me this kind of thinking is based on tradition, custom, protocol, and etiquette but has zero basis in common sense or fairness.

JMO.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Id consider it far from a standard gift situation.

i don't see how any of this is any of our business, but since lawsuits are public, mario signed up for this. nobody knows what happened. let he who is without embarrassment cast the first stone "mario is a lout; she is a gold digger." we all probably know less than 1% of the story but let's pass judgement, because we can.

such a toxic society we live in...

Friday, he released a three-page series of text messages sent to Marzoukis mobile phone in which Williams wrote on Nov. 11, & I took 3 hydrocodones this morning and no one knows; and & Im going to take 2 more on the plane and fade away; He also texted &;No money in the world should leave me with suicidal thoughts.;

In a message on the same day, Marzouki replied, & You told me youre having suicidal thoughts. Clearly me & you dont need to talk after every mean thing you said to be, but Im going to tell DD to call you or something BC you went above and beyond saying suicidal thoughts, taking pills. Someone that you trust needs to intervene.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/05/mario-williams-text-message-no-money-in-the-world-should-leave-me-with-suicidal-thoughts/

Edited by papazoid

Legally (and I think the law matches common sense here), an engagement ring is often considered a "conditional gift", a gift given contingent on the expectation of marriage.

The law varies from state to state. Some states are "no fault", whoever breaks it off the ring gets returned to the giver.

Apparently in Texas, the person who was "dumped" gets the ring, hence there may be a prolonged "dirty laundry airing" with he said she said to decide on that point.

Friday, he released a three-page series of text messages sent to Marzoukis mobile phone in which Williams wrote on Nov. 11, & I took 3 hydrocodones this morning and no one knows; and & Im going to take 2 more on the plane and fade away; He also texted &;No money in the world should leave me with suicidal thoughts.;

In a message on the same day, Marzouki replied, & You told me youre having suicidal thoughts. Clearly me & you dont need to talk after every mean thing you said to be, but Im going to tell DD to call you or something BC you went above and beyond saying suicidal thoughts, taking pills. Someone that you trust needs to intervene.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/05/mario-williams-text-message-no-money-in-the-world-should-leave-me-with-suicidal-thoughts/

That's no good

Texas doesn't

Texas and I disagree on a variety of issues.

http://blog.chron.co...cidal-thoughts/

This seems like such dirty pool by the attorney (and her). What does this have to do with the ring?

He probably will not get the ring back. I'm a bit more concerned that he could pop 5 of those pills again because he's depressed. Could be a decent explanation as to his poor play at times last year. Hard to be at your best when you are 1) lost in your thoughts 2) taking a !@#$ ton of pills to deal with it

This seems like such dirty pool by the attorney (and her). What does this have to do with the ring?

Lawsuits = dirty pool. He opened the can, his own fault (but you do what you have to in these situations). I had an ex who tried to keep my mother's ring, I am squarely on the side of Mario here.

Women can make any man crazy. I understand big guy and congrats on ending an obviously bad situation. Best of luck.

Edited by bowery4

He probably will not get the ring back. I'm a bit more concerned that he could pop 5 of those pills again because he's depressed. Could be a decent explanation as to his poor play at times last year. Hard to be at your best when you are 1) lost in your thoughts 2) taking a !@#$ ton of pills to deal with it

To be fair, we still have no idea what of its true. I'd be surprised if any player wasnt popping something near daily during the season. The more we get the more each sounds manipulative and unhealthy in this. I'm waiting for Mario's side to release that she pretended to be pregnant next.... Not really, but it sounds like the types if games they played to get control of the other.

Could be a real issue, could be all talk to control her into staying.

It'll be a mess from here publicly though.