Fans want Kolb as Starter

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh letting the rookie sit n learn is soooo overrated...rookie nowadays are coming in and playing well.....only way I want kolb to start is due to injury...you draft a qb in the first round you expect him to start...its not like were contending for a superbowl..let manuel play darnit!

Out of 7000 plus voters. Makes sense to go with him and not rush the rook.

http://espn.go.com/b...-week-1-starter

Congratulations on your first post!

I agree with you "makes sense"

Could you be persuaded to edit your thread's title? My Beef with Walker's article is that his poll asks "who do you think WILL start?" not "who do you want to start?".

Misleading, a bit. Be nice not to propegate Walker's Bait 'n' Switch into TBD. As the author, changing the title is one of the tools available to you

Manuel should start as soon as possible, but no sooner! Need the coaching staff to make that call, none of us here that smart. I remember the Bills staff of another decade ruining Todd Collins in Buffalo, but he lasted elsewhere in the league for 15 years. don't push the rook to fast in my view.

Edited by bigK14094

The ESPN title was misleading. The poll asked "who do you see starting." You can see Kolb of Jackson starting but want Manuel to start, and vice versa. Depends on whether you think a rookie should start right away or not and if you think Manuel will outplay the other two.

I can tell you one person who doesn't want to see Kolb starting- Russ Brandon. Nothing will squelch ticket sales more than another journeyman QB starting games for this franchise.

The vast majority of tickets will have been sold by the time the decision is made about who will be the starter. Which will likely be 2 weeks before the season starts.

What talent "all around him" might that be? The backup to average starting TE Scott Chandler? Rookie WR Woods and Goodwin? 2nd year WR TJ Graham? Never caught a pass Marcus Easley?

I am not saying that none of the WRs will ever pan out, but it takes (often) WRs 2-3 years to become really productive in the NFL.

Stevie, Brad Smith (who I think will work exclusively at WR now), and Graham aren't rookies and have caught passes, and unlike the past few years, Manuel has the arm strength to get a guy like Graham the ball deep. Spiller is a great receiver and can be lined-up while Freddie's in the backfield. Chandler has a decent shot to be back, and Gragg has good size and great speed for the position, and while he's just a rookie, will still be a matchup problem and at least draw some attention away. If Woods, Rogers, Goodwin, or Kaufman can contribute, it will be gravy.

That was another negative myth about Manuel, that he wasn't sound in ball protection.

I don't know if those fumble stats are accurate. I know he fumbled against Florida (granted he got crushed, and likely concussed), but he was running for his life on that play and they may have considered it a scramble.

Let's take a page out of the 49er's play book . Let him soak in as much of the game as he can & put him in when Kolb gets hurt .

If Kolb follows what he has done in the past then it shouldn't take real long, if he does great b/c of the better O line then that gives E.J. more time to learn .

Win Win as i see it ... :thumbsup:

The 49'ers waited a year-and-a-half before Kaep saw the field. Granted his play in pre-season both years didn't merit him starting, but he eventually proved his worth. I wonder if he had it to do all over again, if Harbaugh would have started Kaep from the beginning?

Eighty-five degrees and not a cloud in the sky today. No humidity to speak of.

Gentle breeze.

I love my hometown of Buffalo but the South Bay is pretty alright.

traitor!!!

Let's wait until training camp and pre-season to make that determination. If Manuel looks halfway decent, I say start him.

Unless he's injured, I'd bet my house that EJM will be the fans' pick by August.

Ive seen Kolb and T Jackson play.

There is no way in hell T Jackson is behind Kolb on the depth chart. No friggin way.

Im not sure where EJ will be, but Kolb will not be the starter.

Really interesting point seldom brought up here.

The assumption is, because his salary is better, and because there's been more "noise" about his signing, Bills FO thinks more highly of Kolb and Jackson will be behind him on the depth chart.

You may be correct that Kolb is being over-rated and Jackson under-rated when comparing the two, as far as play. Off field differences? (Kolb faster to pick up playbook?) Lingering effect of a year playing with a torn pec on Jackson? Perceived higher ceiling with Kolb? I dunno.

Both of them have the capacity to look clueless at times out there. Neither will make an OL look better than it is. Jackson is tougher than nails and Kolb is historically fragile.

Interesting times, Bills fans. Interesting times.

Unless he's injured, I'd bet my house that EJM will be the fans' pick by August.

EJM is likely the fans' pick right now. The actual poll question was who do you think WILL be the starter, not who do you WANT to be the starter. The answers to the former question likely reflect fan concerns to not throw Manuel into the fire, to give him time to master the playbook and learn to read NFL D.

Who do you want to be the starting QB and who do you think will be the starting QB are 2 completely different questions. Not sure how some can possibly think they are the same. They are not. I want EJ to be the starter. I can't answer who I think will be the starter. I think it all depends on how quickly EJ can become acclimated with the playbook and the speed of the nfl.

Ive seen Kolb and T Jackson play.

There is no way in hell T Jackson is behind Kolb on the depth chart. No friggin way.

Im not sure where EJ will be, but Kolb will not be the starter.

I don't know where marrone is in his thinking with QB situation but if he truly is willing to let them battle it out I'm willing to bet Kolb will out duel tjax. I don't know enough about ej but if the majority of professional scouting reports are accurate it would behoove the bills to let him sit and learn. He has skill no doubt and I'm sure it will be on display during camp but I think it would be premature to start him and would be detrimental to his development IMO.

Congratulations on your first post!

I agree with you "makes sense"

Could you be persuaded to edit your thread's title? My Beef with Walker's article is that his poll asks "who do you think WILL start?" not "who do you want to start?".

Misleading, a bit. Be nice not to propegate Walker's Bait 'n' Switch into TBD. As the author, changing the title is one of the tools available to you

Thanks! Didn't know about the title function. Actually didn't put much thought on the title and just put up the first thing that came to mind.

Never.

BTW, we moved here in 2002 and never heard much about the Niners.

Suddenly Harbaugh takes over and the Niners become good again and EVERYONE is a Niners fan.

We like the fair weather here but we ain't no fair weather fans!

Never became much of a niners fan when I lived there in the 80s myself. (I was only 8 years old at the time anyways.) Weather is perfect over there. By the way, fair weather fans live everywhere. Speaking of fans, where do Bills fan rank overall? I know they haven't made the playoffs in over ten years but this forum seem more active than other fan forums I've been in which says a lot about the dedication of fans here. I was born in ny but not familiar with buffalo.

Never became much of a niners fan when I lived there in the 80s myself. (I was only 8 years old at the time anyways.) Weather is perfect over there. By the way, fair weather fans live everywhere. Speaking of fans, where do Bills fan rank overall? I know they haven't made the playoffs in over ten years but this forum seem more active than other fan forums I've been in which says a lot about the dedication of fans here. I was born in ny but not familiar with buffalo.

Well I'll join Hopeful in welcoming you to the board.

It'll be interesting to find out exactly how you became a Bills fan. But all in your own time.

First round QB's almost always get thrown into the fire right away, so I don't see EJ sitting if he can grasp the offense in pre season.

Then again, it might be smarter to let Kolb / TJ take the first lumps in a new offense with a new OC calling plays. Remember Fitz literally running for his life those first 8 games in 2010, you know, the year they started out 0-8.

Well, if you want him to start, you think he's better than Kolb (or will be). Then you would vote him as the likely starter. Not a big difference.

How many of those votes are tainted by the media...to the tune of "don't rush the rookies....let him sit behind Kolb for a few weeks...not a good idea to start him right away?" A lot of fans out there still consider network analysts as "experts."