Fans want Kolb as Starter

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speak for yourself. This fan wants Kolb holding a clipboard ... as the #3 QB, preferably.

Agree 100%

Also people should know that the OP/title of this thread is misleading/wrong (based on the article, which was misleading/wrong), that poll was about who fans THOUGHT would start, not who they wanted to start. Completely different question.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Yeah, I actually sent a message to Mr. Walker when I read his headline. I voted that Kolb would be. If I was asked who I wanted, it would have been Manuel. Dont like how the poll gets twisted into something else.

To be fair, it's really the headline that's misleading. The content of the post says things like, "who will b, under center for the Bills..." and, "Bills fans... do not have much confidence in Jackson." But the headline is directly wrong. I don't know if ESPN's NFL Nation blogs follow the traditional journalism model where editors write the headlines, or the typical blog model where the author does everything himself, but if it's the former, the headline isn't Walker's fault.

Kolb starting would be dumb. Let's find out about EJ and then make 2014 draft plans accordingly. 2014 is supposed to have a much better QB class.

My thoughts exactly, if he starts and looks good...Great! If he crashes and burns, well then maybe we'll have a chance to add a truly elite QB prospect form a better class next year to compete.

The Bills gain absolutely nothing by starting Kolb, besides he'll probably fracture his pelvis trying to put his cup on for training camp.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I get that part. But I don't think there is a huge difference. I don't see how you would think EJ is the better player, yet doesn't get the start. Or why if ou don't think he will be the better QB, you would wnat him to start anyway.

It is not unheard of for a rookie QB to be the better player, and yet the coaching staff decides not to start him right away. One glaring example I can think of is Donovan McNabb. McNabb, the #2 overall pick in the 1999 draft did not start his first game until week 10. Instead, 2009 FA addition Doug Pederson started the first 9 games of the season. You might argue that Andy Reid actually thought that Pederson was the better QB, but I would say you were crazy. I would contend that Reid didn't want to throw McNabb to the wolves, and wanted him to get acclimated to the game before he was named the starter.

I can't say for sure that there will be a "true" QB competition because I don't know what the coaching staff is thinking. None of us do. Getting back to my original point, however, I think that the vast majority of Bills fans want EJ to be the week 1 starter.

Let's wait until training camp and pre-season to make that determination. If Manuel looks halfway decent, I say start him.

I think he has to be better than halfway decent to start week 1. You would want him to be enough better that it doesn't stunt his development, create controversy, put pressure, etc. If Kolb goes 1-3, it is a great situation for EJ after a month of learning and getting used to NFL speed and the offense. If EJ goes 1-3 he gets labeled as a bust, starts pressing, risks losing his job, etc.

I'm happy for them to say it is a competition, and I would love EJ to come out with enough of an edge to win the job outright, but I think if it is close it is in the best interest of the team to have Kolb do his best John Kitna impression until he struggles, gets hurt, or EJ starts to separate himself. While not being a world beater, Kolb has struggled more with injuries than incompetence, and should be fine to have us ready to win on week 1 setting up a perfect situation for EJ who most everyone agrees is rough and unfinished.

Disagree. Wording could make a huge difference.

Not only is the wording a huge difference. They are simply two different questions...

I absolutely want EJ to start, and I think he should start. We've seen what Kolb/Jackson look like in the NFL and it hasn't been pretty. We spent a 1st rounder on this kid and young QB's have proven they can succeed early over the last decade. Throw him in the water and see if he sinks or swims...I also think he should get the bulk of the starting work in training camp to give him the best chance.

I actually think Tjax should start over Kolb as well, he has more experience and has a more similar skill set to Manuel. If Marrone wants to design an offense that incorporates QB mobility, Kolb is not that guy.

However I believe that unfortunately the odds are in Kolbs favor that he will start the season.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Poll asks who people think WILL be the week 1 starter, not who people WANT to be the week 1 starter. Big difference.

Exactly...And even though that was the question asked it's only 51 to 44 in favor of Kolb...Ask the question "Who do you want" and I'm guessing EJ wins pretty easily... B-)

Let's wait until training camp and pre-season to make that determination. If Manuel looks halfway decent, I say start him.

#1 picks tend to get thrown into the fire right away.

I'm hoping they let this kid sit and learn for a year like SF did with Kaepernick.

#1 picks tend to get thrown into the fire right away.

I'm hoping they let this kid sit and learn for a year like SF did with Kaepernick.

I agree. There is no reason to rush Manuel. Let him sit and learn.

I have no problem with Kolb being the starter.

Now if Manuel really comes out strong during camp & the preseason and the coaches think he's ready to go on week 1, fine.

Until then, let's have Manuel be a student and hold the clipboard.

Let's see...

Kolb: 64% 60%, and 57% of his passes in his last 3 years, fumbled 6, 8, and 2 times, completed 4, 7, and 9 TDs,

EJM: 70%, 69%, and 68% of his passes in his last 3 years, fumbled 0, 0, and 0, times, completed 4, 18, and 23 TDs.

I agree that we should wait until training camp and pre-season but I would put in whoever is playing the best no matter who it is. This team wants to win this year and the best QB should be playing.

THIS

I want the guy playing who has the best chance to beat the Patriots on September 8th. If that's Manuel, then cool. If it's Kolb, I want Kolb. If it's Jackson I want him. We'll find out who that is when pre season starts and not a moment before.

I read on here that we're not going to make the playoffs this year. With that attitude we won't. The time to win is NOW. Lets put our best guys out there no matter who they turn out to be, not who we want them to be.

Go Bills !!

Edited by reddogblitz

I said before, there is nothing to gain by playing Kolb for a few games. If they have plans of sitting EJ for an entire year then I think it makes sense but if u have plans of starting Kolb for 5-6 games then letting EJ take over then it doesn't make any sense you mine as well just start EJ to begin with.

It is not unheard of for a rookie QB to be the better player, and yet the coaching staff decides not to start him right away. One glaring example I can think of is Donovan McNabb. McNabb, the #2 overall pick in the 1999 draft did not start his first game until week 10. Instead, 2009 FA addition Doug Pederson started the first 9 games of the season. You might argue that Andy Reid actually thought that Pederson was the better QB, but I would say you were crazy. I would contend that Reid didn't want to throw McNabb to the wolves, and wanted him to get acclimated to the game before he was named the starter.

I can't say for sure that there will be a "true" QB competition because I don't know what the coaching staff is thinking. None of us do. Getting back to my original point, however, I think that the vast majority of Bills fans want EJ to be the week 1 starter.

Eli Manning also.

Having said that, the reason to have Manuel sit would be if he can't beat out Kolb/Jackson, not based on some nebulous notion of stunting his growth. Once upon a time I believed that it was better to let guys sit and learn, but I've come to think that anyone with the psychological makeup to succeed as a franchise QB will have the mental fortitude to handle the ups and downs that come with learning. Losman didn't have it, Edwards didn't have it, and I don't think any amount of sitting on the bench would have helped them develop it. We won't know until we see Manuel under the pressures of dealing with the starting job, but I like the signs so far that he does have it.

My opinion is:

1. Give Manuel a lot of work in training camp and pre-season games, while having Kolb as the starter.

2. Do not put Manuel in a regular season game unless/until the coaching staff is very sure that he has a strong grasp of the offense.

My reasoning:

1. Manuel has a lot of attributes that suggest that he could become a longterm good starting QB and I would not want to see his confidence ruined by playing before he is ready.

1a. After years of losing, the fan base has little patience and could turn on him quickly

2. I like Robert Woods and hold out hope that TJ Graham can become a decent contributor, but it often takes WRs 2-3 years to really become productive in the NFL and, aside from Stevie Johnson, all of their WR options are very young and inexperienced. Couple that with a big question mark at TE and you have a bad situation to put a rookie QB into.