Expectations for EJ: Season 1

When all else fails, lower your standards

You don't build a solid team in a year. I'll be happy to see wins if we get them, but will be happier watching a horrible season like Peyton Manning's 1st season unfold if there is progress being made by a QB with great potential. I'd take that over watchin Kolb bring us a few more wins and remaining mediocre for yet another decade. 3-13 season seemed teach a young Manning a lot of lessons.

It's not like they are deciding between playing Favre or getting Aaron Rogers in the game. It's friggin' Kolb or T Jax, neither of which are worth withholding experience from EJM.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, it's all about "fragile psyche." If you think that EJ's career could be greatly affected by immediate failure, frustration, loss of confidence, media or fan criticism, etc, like a bunch of these guys, then you don't play him until he is ready. If, on the other hand, you think he has great unwavering confidence in himself, and ability to shrug off failure and keep his confidence like Peyton Manning did and Troy Aikman and others, then you play him if he looks like he can handle the load.

I think he can handle it.

I also do not see a 'fragile psyche' guy being the type of QB Marrone would have wanted. Marrone seems like a no b.s. type of guy. I am sure in the vetting process of EJ they found out if he was tough.

You don't build a solid team in a year. I'll be happy to see wins if we get them, but will be happier watching a horrible season like Peyton Manning's 1st season unfold if there is progress being made by a QB with great potential. I'd take that over watchin Kolb bring us a few more wins and remaining mediocre for yet another decade. 3-13 season seemed teach a young Manning a lot of lessons.

It's not like they are deciding between playing Favre or getting Aaron Rogers in the game. It's friggin' Kolb or T Jax, neither of which are worth withholding experience from EJM.

It's possible...2012 Indianapolis Colts. I care about every game & want to win every single one! We've been trying to build a solid team for over a decade. With a healthy draft & good coaching, anything can happen. When I read what you said...that you didn't care about winning, I just couldn't let that slide...sorry.

True he was drafted in the 1st, but in 20/20 hindsight, the guy had a 2nd round grade on him from every team looking QB . That is not a good fact. Just because he is drafted in the 1st doesn't mean crap if everyone needing QB but you passed on him for 15 picks.

Joe Flacco was rated a 2nd/3rd round talent, was drafted in the first round, started right away and that worked out. I'm sure there are other examples too. And I thought we've all dispelled what the hole "grade" thing by now, especially since in one short week Geno Smith went from a "first round grade" to "holy crud, this guy might be a disaster". Grades mean nothing.

Edited by BuffaloATL

I think you have to use the momentum of these guys being used to play, so play him. Unless any of the other quarterbacks are miles better. The evidence is in last season I'd say, look at Aaron Rodgers when he finally came of the bench it took him a good 5 games or so to get into a rythm. Unless EJ needs a lot of tinkering on mechanics and such I'd say play him. Can't wait for pre-season to start.

Any chance that EJ sits the entire season, Kolb absolutely does tremendous and finds his way into the starting role?

Just playing a little devils advocate here...

There are good odds that this may happen if you see how Kolb was starting to come together last year before he got smashed again.

I don't want to see EJ on the field this season.

The only exception being a few series at the end of the season (if need be). Should Kolb suffer at QB, do you guys see the fans being patient and not chanting for EJ, or will they want to see our new guy take the field in 2013? If Kolb chokes, we put TJ in I say...

I am excited about the pick but feel that we need to take it slow and not get ahead of ourselves.

I expect him to start right away and by the end of the season to look at least as good as Tannehill did at the end of last season. If he doesn't look like a world-beater in the making then go after another one in round 1 next year. Without a QB other first round talent is mostly rendered useless, as the Bills have proven over the last decade+ on those occasions when they actually drafted a very good player in round 1........so you gotta get the QB first. Worrying about bruising the egos of young QB's by creating competition is not something a team should concern itself with.

It's possible...2012 Indianapolis Colts. I care about every game & want to win every single one! We've been trying to build a solid team for over a decade. With a healthy draft & good coaching, anything can happen. When I read what you said...that you didn't care about winning, I just couldn't let that slide...sorry.

Bad example the Colts were a playoff team in 2010, they threw away 2011 when Manning got hurt and entered the Luck Bowl.

None.

The optimal situation is Kolb plays well and stays healthy for 2 years. Then make the tough decision to keep him over Manuel. Manuel is very very raw, and people expecting him to walk in and dominate will be extremely disappointed.

Kolb has not shown the ability to stay healthy in a seaoson yet....so to hope for that is kinda fools gold in my opinion.

I have stated before that I would really rather see Kolb first....but I will say this....if the QB competition is EVEN.....then play the rook....because the rook is just gonna get better.

One thing I keep having to remind myself is that we do in fact have a strong running game....and you can do it the way Pittsburg did with Big Ben.

Bad example the Colts were a playoff team in 2010, they threw away 2011 when Manning got hurt and entered the Luck Bowl.

You're right...it was just the first team with a great turn around in the standings to pop into my head...but I'm sure there's many examples that can be cited where a mediocre team had a great draft, accompanied by a new & efficient coaching staff, to make it to the playoffs in the same year. I'm drinking the Kool-aid this year & believe we fit into that category. I think I can speak for most on this board that this re-building thing is getting old. My hair has turned gray while waiting for it. I believe we can win 10 or more games this year with what's happened to this team.

I've said before Kolb will be in for 6 weeks, have some flashes with a good line, and a good running game looking decent, then goes back to holding the ball too long, get a concussion, and we'll see EJ by week 8 or after the bye. Something like that. No point after half a season having him sit. If we don't make the playoffs learns how to compete with Brady, Tannehill, etc.

I'm not worried as some of these other draft picks will jsut be getting on the field by then as well. Remember Gilmore looked solid by week 8, but was too tentative in weeks 1-3 last year. Then again he was coached by the Stashe.

I believe that he will be the starter all season. I think that the team will be about 7-9. Manuel will complete 61% of his passes for 3600 yards, 28TDs 18INTs, 575 rushing yards and 6 rushing TDs.

Could you be a little more specific please?

I trust that Marrone and co will make the right decision on whatever is best for his development. He might be nowhere near ready to start and read NFL defenses or he might have a good handle on the offense and what reads to look for. Based on watching his highlights, I think they will have to work with him a little bit on ball placement as well.

But if the Bills offense and NFL defenses are too far over his head, then I would sit him and let him learn. I dont care how he is developed, I just want him to be put in a position to reach his full potential. I would love to see him start this year, because its like having a new toy and not being able to play with it. But I wont be upset if they feel he needs a year to develop.

The good thing is there will be nice qb competition at camp. May the best man win.

Saw this on facebook and thought it puts things in perspective ...

Don't get your hopes up too high.

Hiw exactly does seeing that trivia on facebook translate into tempered expectations for the upcoming season? Past history is a reliable indicator of the future? Sad sackfranchises are doomed to failure no matter who they draft at QB? Please, do explain

I expect Kolb & TJax to be complete garbage. Thus, I expect EJ to end up starting ASAP. I don't know how he will perform but I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by Rico

Why come to a message board then? The purpose of this place is to express your opinion on the team, not to make decisions for it.

Kelly i believe he expressed his opinion. because it's similar to mine.

It seems EJ is a project. A project takes time. And if the foundation is not sound, well...

Heres the thing i am considering. If you start Kolb or Tavaris you can only take them out if they are injured or playing very poorly or its a losing season and have no hope or all of the above.

Thats a big risk. So i would think you either start him,

Or , you expect him to develop with education/film /mentor from the vets etc plus as many reps on the practice field as possible.

i would not relish that call.

Let the Hacketts and Marrones of the world make that call.

but i want to give Kolb an opportunity. Behind a real line and a Real running game that he never had the use of. We have a cushion no mattter who starts and thats darned good thing as compared to Thigpen days.

That said i cant wait to see EJ !