Da'Rick Rogers - WR - UDFA

This^^ I just don't get it either... did those 13 other 7th round draft picks have more upside than round1/2 talent Rogers??

at some point it might become more of a risk NOT to draft him. What if he went to new England and tore us apart twice a year for the next decade? We got really lucky.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the mentality of teams. 13 teams wanted this guy but none was willing to spend a 7th round pick on him?

Are they that worried about the image of taking a guy in the 7th vs. as an UDFA because he was an off-field problem? I find it odd, but am glad it worked out the way it did.

I really do think that plays into it. Nix even admitted in an interview in the last few days that once a guy starts to fall, teams really do think "Uh oh, maybe the other guys know something I don't know about this kid." I actually think that happened with the QBs this year to a small degree.

You would want to think that an NFL team, in this day and age, would know all about these guys. But that said, I would bet anything that every team finds out little morsels after intense scrutiny about players that they think is a scoop on other teams, either good or bad, so what would make anyone believe other teams don't have stuff like that, too.

Once UDFA, they think of it as a free pick.

In this case, you're right. I'm shocked no team took a chance on him in the 5th or 6th.

He didn't dominate at Tennessee Tech even though he put up good numbers. I'm sure that scared teams away. I assume they thought he just didn't have the drive to be a top player in the NFL.

I just want to echo some of the sentiments that I've been reading, I just find it to be incredibly odd that no team was willing to take a very low-risk/high reward flyer in using a 7th round pick for someone who by virtually just about all accounts is a physically gifted relatively large sized specimen who has achieved and put up huge stats in every level of football he has played. He was parade all American in High school, in his first full season in college he stepped in and was first team SEC and led the conference in Receiving yards, and then dominated in the Div II college he transferred to. I mean, we all know that he failed three drug tests, and had other issues as well, but over the past year and a half he has passed all 10 drug tests and stayed out of trouble.

I'm just having a hard time rapping my head around the fact that no one decided to use a measly 6th or 7th round draft choice for someone who arguably if he had stayed out of trouble would of been seen as a first round WR draft choice.

Edited by Magox

I just want to echo some of the sentiments that I've been reading, I just find it to be incredibly odd that no team was willing to take a very low-risk/high reward flyer in using a 7th round pick for someone who by virtually just about all accounts is a physically gifted relatively large sized specimen who has achieved and put up huge stats in every level of football he has played. He was parade all American in High school, in his first full season in college he stepped in and was first team SEC and led the conference in Receiving yards, and then dominated in the Div II college he transferred to. I mean, we all know that he failed three drug tests, and had other issues as well, but over the past year and a half he has passed all 10 drug tests and stayed out of trouble.

I'm just having a hard time rapping my head around the fact that no one decided to use a measly 6th or 7th round draft choice for someone who arguably if he had stayed out of trouble would of been seen as a first round WR draft choice.

i was asking the same questions back in the 4th round. his story seems to have a lot in common with honey badger - tons of hype as a young player producing in the SEC, future first rounder, booted for drugs - but unlike HB he played last year, and never got arrested during that time.... just odd he slid soooooo far. i know HB is really charismatic so maybe he did the interview circuit a lot better but that doesnt explain the gap between 3rd round and UDFA.

This guy has a 40 inch vertical, at 6'2'' and a 4.5 40, this guy could be the next Randy Moss

Except Randy is 6/4 and ran a 4.25 in school and a 4.27 at the combine.

Also Randy was never a physical player. DR can punish DBs.

Should make for lots of fun seeing if he makes it this spring/summer.

Without the baggage he would have prolly gone in that run that began late in the first with Hopkins and continued into the early second.

Not bad for an UDFA.

i was asking the same questions back in the 4th round. his story seems to have a lot in common with honey badger - tons of hype as a young player producing in the SEC, future first rounder, booted for drugs - but unlike HB he played last year, and never got arrested during that time.... just odd he slid soooooo far. i know HB is really charismatic so maybe he did the interview circuit a lot better but that doesnt explain the gap between 3rd round and UDFA.

Speaking of DR and the HB, has anyone seen the any of the YouTube action between the two. DR was really too much man for HB whenever they matched up head to head in the video that I saw.

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the mentality of teams. 13 teams wanted this guy but none was willing to spend a 7th round pick on him?

Are they that worried about the image of taking a guy in the 7th vs. as an UDFA because he was an off-field problem? I find it odd, but am glad it worked out the way it did.

i think in Rogers case, it was more about making him pay for his mistakes. If said team can make him wait until the end and then puck him up as an udfa, then maybe not being drafted by anyone will humble him a bit. Will give him a little more motivation to work hard and work through it.

Actually it's more likely he'd have gone before the 5th round, given his speed and Senior Bowl week. But we'll never know now and all that remains is to see what he does.

If he stayed at Tennessee he could have been the first WR drafted...he was destroying SEC DBs but only doing OK at Tennessee Tech as if he was uninterested, which made a lot of teams question his commitment level...

The comparisons I have seen so far:

Julio Jones clone

Terrell Owens

Cross between Chad and Andre Johnson

that's some pretty damn good WRs he is being compared to...all the talent in the world...

Without the baggage he would have prolly gone in that run that began late in the first with Hopkins and continued into the early second.

Not bad for an UDFA.

The direct comparison that intrigued me most was Terrell Owens..great on crossing routes, run after catch and very physical with DBs, even initiating contact many times...

I really do think that plays into it. Nix even admitted in an interview in the last few days that once a guy starts to fall, teams really do think "Uh oh, maybe the other guys know something I don't know about this kid." I actually think that happened with the QBs this year to a small degree.

You would want to think that an NFL team, in this day and age, would know all about these guys. But that said, I would bet anything that every team finds out little morsels after intense scrutiny about players that they think is a scoop on other teams, either good or bad, so what would make anyone believe other teams don't have stuff like that, too.

In this case, you're right. I'm shocked no team took a chance on him in the 5th or 6th.

He didn't dominate at Tennessee Tech even though he put up good numbers. I'm sure that scared teams away. I assume they thought he just didn't have the drive to be a top player in the NFL.

That was a big thing...how did he go from dominant in the SEC to just ok at Tennessee Tech...obviously not talent related...was like he just went through the motions somewhat...

I think the Bills not taking Nassib helped play a role in that.

If everyone had those QB's rated reasonably close to each other, when they saw Marrone not take his boy Nassib, that added to the doubt that already existed.

I'm not saying the Bills not picking Nassib caused all the other teams to reshuffle their boards and make the QB's to drop to round 4, but I do think that added a bit of fuel to the fire.

That was a big thing...how did he go from dominant in the SEC to just ok at Tennessee Tech...obviously not talent related...was like he just went through the motions somewhat...

he played fewer games at TTech and had more total TDs and more yards per game, etc... it wasnt as impressive as you would expect but showing up on about 2 weeks notice to join a new team and he did pretty well, all things considered.

Edited by NoSaint

He joined the team in the week leading up to the regular season opener, then tied the school record w/ 10 TDs in a 61/893 year (11 games) -- their 2nd leading receiver had 28 catches! I don't think I'd call that "just ok" and if he was only going through the motions, I'd love to see what he does when he's trying.

In any event, the kid clearly made a number of mistakes that cost him a ton of cash. He'd better damn well be plenty motivated.

He joined the team in the week leading up to the regular season opener, then tied the school record w/ 10 TDs in a 61/893 year (11 games) -- their 2nd leading receiver had 28 catches! I don't think I'd call that "just ok" and if he was only going through the motions, I'd love to see what he does when he's trying.

In any event, the kid clearly made a number of mistakes that cost him a ton of cash. He'd better damn well be plenty motivated.

his stats skew a little with one game being 18 catches for 303 yards and 2 tds..... ill grant he couldve done better, but he definitely didnt do poorly.

Not bad for an UDFA.

Randy ran that before the electronic timer by the way.

@ChrisWesseling 2m

GM Buddy Nix told @JohnMurphyShow the Bills had a 1st/2nd-round grade on UDFA WR Da'Rick Rogers. More on Rogers here http://www.nfl.com/n...-bills …

Don't be surprised if Rogers ends up not only making the team, but having the biggest impact among the rookie wide receivers. Drawing comparisons to Brandon Marshall and Eric Moulds due to his size, physicality, post-catch running ability, and lower-leg explosion, Rogers dominated the SEC as a 20-year-old before getting the boot from Tennessee's program.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The thing that worries me the most, is I have seen a couple mentions of his name, followed by, "pronounced 'DAY-rick'" -- and then I saw him on the Marriucci interview talk about himself in the third person and call himself, "da-RICK".

Dude don't even know his own name!!!

That don't bode well for his football intelligence, unless perhaps suffering from the dreaded SAD disease (sylabbic-accent-dyslexia).

Wow! 13 pages and counting! Incredible interest in an UDFA. It's got me wondering... Who's the best UDFA in Bills history?

Btw, let's not forgot Rogers went undrafted for a reason. Apparently scouts aren't entirely convinced his problems are behind him. The chances of Rogers being cut for off-the-field behavior might be greater as the chances of him being a productive wideout.

Obviously, I don't know the guy and would hate to prognosticate the worst for anyone. But we need to be realistic. (Then again, at this time of the year, maybe we don't!)

Edited by hondo in seattle

Wow! 13 pages and counting! Incredible interest in an UDFA. It's got me wondering... Who's the best UDFA in Bills history?

Likely peters or Freddy. The draft used to be about 45 rounds so I'm not thinking it would date back tooooo far.

Phat Pat Williams from the modern era. I'll have to think about the Jurasic period...

[edit] Must be getting old--Cookie Gilchrist

Edited by Lurker

Pat Williams was good. Jason Peters may have achieved the most. Fred Ex was one of the most amazing stories. The best ever could have been Booker Edgerson I think, who just made it to the Wall of Fame.