Da'Rick Rogers - WR - UDFA

1.Stevie

2. Woods

3. Graham

4. Rogers

If the young guys pan out, not too bad of a WR corps in the making. Don't know how to project Goodwin quite yet.

Goodwin is a joke. They will try and use him the best they can with screens and end arounds and maybe as a returner, but ultimately I predict they end up parting ways with him just in time for him to train for the 2016 Olympics. Projects like this never work out for us. I like Woods and Rogers though. They seem to be big on Easley too. I liked Nelson but I guess he didn't fit into their plans not to mention the injuries.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith will probably be the #3 or #4 receiver. He is a better player than most folks think.

If the Bills use the K-Gun, Goodwin will be a great decoy, similar to Don Beebe. That's probably the role Marrone and Nix have in mind for the kid.

Goodwin is a joke. They will try and use him the best they can with screens and end arounds and maybe as a returner, but ultimately I predict they end up parting ways with him just in time for him to train for the 2016 Olympics. Projects like this never work out for us. I like Woods and Rogers though. They seem to be big on Easley too. I liked Nelson but I guess he didn't fit into their plans not to mention the injuries.

Why would you say he is a joke? Did you seen him run patterns against the top CBs in the Senior Bowl practices? He smoked them regularly, and not just with pure speed. Have you seen him block? The Bills considered him the most tenacious blocker of all the WRs. Have you seen him catch? Have you seen him run with the ball in his hands like a football player does and not at all like a track guy does? I was extremely surprised when I saw him do all the stuff you'd expect from a football player not a track guy, setting up blocks, shifting direction at top speed, knowing when to fight and when to dive for the extra yard, seeing the field peripherally, etc. This guy is not just a track guy.

Again, it's possible that he doesn't make it like all third round picks and below don't make it. But this guy is a football player, not a track star playing football. And he has no intention of training for the 2016 Olympics according to him.

He may not make it, but to just say he is a joke without actually seeing him do all these things, which he does well, is, well, a joke.

Why would you say he is a joke? Did you seen him run patterns against the top CBs in the Senior Bowl practices? He smoked them regularly, and not just with pure speed. Have you seen him block? The Bills considered him the most tenacious blocker of all the WRs. Have you seen him catch? Have you seen him run with the ball in his hands like a football player does and not at all like a track guy does? I was extremely surprised when I saw him do all the stuff you'd expect from a football player not a track guy, setting up blocks, shifting direction at top speed, knowing when to fight and when to dive for the extra yard, seeing the field peripherally, etc. This guy is not just a track guy.

Again, it's possible that he doesn't make it like all third round picks and below don't make it. But this guy is a football player, not a track star playing football. And he has no intention of training for the 2016 Olympics according to him.

He may not make it, but to just say he is a joke without actually seeing him do all these things, which he does well, is, well, a joke.

Yes I'm aware he had a good Senior Bowl week. I still feel he is a track star trying to be a football player. He might surprise me if he focuses full time on football and is able to improve. He's too small and too raw to use a 3rd pick on him imo. I think Rogers as a UFA will have the opportunity to make a bigger impact than Goodwin

Yes I'm aware he had a good Senior Bowl week. I still feel he is a track star trying to be a football player. He might surprise me if he focuses full time on football and is able to improve. He's too small and too raw to use a 3rd pick on him imo. I think Rogers as a UFA will have the opportunity to make a bigger impact than Goodwin

other than the fact that hes fast and ran track, is there anything about his game that you specifically think is lacking? other than polishing up a little bit since he wasnt at 100% of college practices i assume. With the knock on track stars playing football - actually he seems to be pretty physical.

Edited by NoSaint

Welker has eaten up the Bills and other teams in the slot with his speed over the years, so it would be great to get some speed at the slot position. Also, I'm interested in seeing if Marrone will use Spiller and Goodwin on reverses.

Lost in all of this discussion is the fact that WR's rarely have strong rookie seasons. The Bills have theoretically improved their WR corps tremendously but the odds are that the picture of this will be hazy this year. Add to this the fact that EJ may start and there is a new system being plugged in.

I agree with that. Goodwin is not likely to be a huge production guy and catch 70-80 passes. But that doesn't mean he can't be highly effective. This offense is going to be like the Saints offense where you had multiple players with multiple talents getting the ball spread out all over the field. Sometimes it was Colston, Henderson, Meachem, Lance Moore, Sproles, any of the three RBs, etc. I can see Goodwin being used like Sproles without getting nearly the number of touches (and not at all saying that Goodwin is or will be nearly as good).

Rogers has a chance to be the #3 WR and have significant catches. His upside it bigger, but he has to prove it, and then continue to prove it. I'm giddy with the potential of these three rookies, especially the combination of them because they have such different games. But few rookie WRs make huge impacts early. Most it takes three years before they are good. We're probably expecting too much.

Welker has eaten up the Bills and other teams in the slot with his speed over the years, so it would be great to get some speed at the slot position. Also, I'm interested in seeing if Marrone will use Spiller and Goodwin on reverses.

Except Welker is just not that fast. He's always beaten defense with quickness, excellent route running, and incredible chemistry with Brady.

Except Welker is just not that fast. He's always beaten defense with quickness, excellent route running, and incredible chemistry with Brady.

And great hands and great toughness and total fearlessness. I don't think there is anyone in the league like him.

I agree with that. Goodwin is not likely to be a huge production guy and catch 70-80 passes. But that doesn't mean he can't be highly effective. This offense is going to be like the Saints offense where you had multiple players with multiple talents getting the ball spread out all over the field. Sometimes it was Colston, Henderson, Meachem, Lance Moore, Sproles, any of the three RBs, etc. I can see Goodwin being used like Sproles without getting nearly the number of touches (and not at all saying that Goodwin is or will be nearly as good).

Rogers has a chance to be the #3 WR and have significant catches. His upside it bigger, but he has to prove it, and then continue to prove it. I'm giddy with the potential of these three rookies, especially the combination of them because they have such different games. But few rookie WRs make huge impacts early. Most it takes three years before they are good. We're probably expecting too much.

Talent wise, Rogers is probably the best of the bunch (including Stevie). He's all about attitude. If he comes in ready to actually learn how be a WR at the NFL level and can stay away from the booze and drugs, he could be the #1 WR on the team in a few years. He could also be stubborn and not learn anything or be suspended a few times and run out of the league.

Talent wise, Rogers is probably the best of the bunch (including Stevie). He's all about attitude. If he comes in ready to actually learn how be a WR at the NFL level and can stay away from the booze and drugs, he could be the #1 WR on the team in a few years. He could also be stubborn and not learn anything or be suspended a few times and run out of the league.

I think you're underselling both Woods and especially Stevie.

Lost in all of this discussion is the fact that WR's rarely have strong rookie seasons. The Bills have theoretically improved their WR corps tremendously but the odds are that the picture of this will be hazy this year. Add to this the fact that EJ may start and there is a new system being plugged in.

I completely agree. Expecting a ton from our new crop of WR's this year is a bit much. Eric Moulds, Peerless Price and Lee Evans all took some time to develop into quality starters. If these guys develop like we think and hope they can over the next 2-4 years, then it's very possible that the Bills will have a potent offense. Only time will tell.

I think you're underselling both Woods and especially Stevie.

Not IMO, I know them both and understand what they are good at. Stevie is a mediocre athlete with a high IQ for the WR position. He knows how to run routes and move around the field to get open, and he knows what he needs to do to give his QB a target. He also drops perfectly thrown passes in the end zone to lose games (yes, just one example....there are plenty).

Woods is still an unknown at the NFL level, but he's very similar to Stevie. I think he's a better athlete, but his real talent comes from his routes and field awareness.

Rogers was simply more talented than everyone around him at the college level. Often that can be a negative when the NFL transition happens because they don't know how to be coached (see the early rumors about Geno Smith when he met with scouts/coaches). Based on his college career, I don't have a lot of faith that Rogers will come in ready to be taught, but I think coming in with Stevie as a vet presence and Woods as a fellow rookie can only be good for him.

Not IMO, I know them both and understand what they are good at. Stevie is a mediocre athlete with a high IQ for the WR position. He knows how to run routes and move around the field to get open, and he knows what he needs to do to give his QB a target. He also drops perfectly thrown passes in the end zone to lose games (yes, just one example....there are plenty).

Woods is still an unknown at the NFL level, but he's very similar to Stevie. I think he's a better athlete, but his real talent comes from his routes and field awareness.

Rogers was simply more talented than everyone around him at the college level. Often that can be a negative when the NFL transition happens because they don't know how to be coached (see the early rumors about Geno Smith when he met with scouts/coaches). Based on his college career, I don't have a lot of faith that Rogers will come in ready to be taught, but I think coming in with Stevie as a vet presence and Woods as a fellow rookie can only be good for him.

Stevie's not fast, but he's really quick in and out of his breaks and also has a good vertical leaping ability. Again, I think you're underselling him.

Woods runs a 4.43 forty and is also very quick. A very good athlete indeed.

Rogers best attribute is his size at 6'3" and 215+ He is a good athlete too with 4.5 speed and a 39" vertical. My point is that Rogers is not head and shoulders above Stevie and Woods when it comes to pure athleticism.

As far as Woods versus Da'Rick goes, I would argue that...

Woods has done it three years against top competition, Rogers one.

Woods runs better, cleaner routes.

Woods is slightly faster (similar combine numbers but Woods is a 4.4 guy and Rogers 4.5).

Woods probably has better hands, although Rogers has good hands.

Rogers is bigger and more physical.

Rogers goes up for a jump ball better, although Woods is good at going up and getting the ball, too.

Rogers is a little more explosive.

Woods is more dependable as Rogers is known for taking plays off.

They both are very good at YAC.

Ultimately, I would say that Woods is a slightly better player right now.

If they both reach their peak, then I think Rogers has a slightly higher ceiling, but I wouldn't bet that he is going to reach his peak.

There is so much potential at wideout for the Bills. It has been a long time since we have had a great receiving corp. Besides Stevie, the WR's were absolutely abysmal the last few years. No QB really had much of a chance to succeed with that crew.

There is so much potential at wideout for the Bills. It has been a long time since we have had a great receiving corp. Besides Stevie, the WR's were absolutely abysmal the last few years. No QB really had much of a chance to succeed with that crew.

I agree. Donald Jones was too inconsistent, and David Nelson, while he has good hands, was also injury prone. Brad Smith's role has been all over the place on the offense, so it's hard to gauge him as a WR. Last year was Easley's first year that he was healthy, but we didn't get to see him hardly as a WR on the field. Graham struggled as a rookie, so it's too soon to pass judgment on him.

As far as Woods versus Da'Rick goes, I would argue that...

Woods has done it three years against top competition, Rogers one.

Woods runs better, cleaner routes.

Woods is slightly faster (similar combine numbers but Woods is a 4.4 guy and Rogers 4.5).

Woods probably has better hands, although Rogers has good hands.

Rogers is bigger and more physical.

Rogers goes up for a jump ball better, although Woods is good at going up and getting the ball, too.

Rogers is a little more explosive.

Woods is more dependable as Rogers is known for taking plays off.

They both are very good at YAC.

Ultimately, I would say that Woods is a slightly better player right now.

If they both reach their peak, then I think Rogers has a slightly higher ceiling, but I wouldn't bet that he is going to reach his peak.

I agree with all of that. I would only add that while they have similar speed, I think the Rogers just moves better on the field. Change of direction, stop/start, etc... He's just able to do more things with his speed than Woods is.

That said, between the two I would put all of my money on Woods to be the better pro.