Buffalo, USA - City of No Illusions

DC Tom

http://koryogroup.com/blog/?p=1534

From tour company that brings you to such exotic locales as North Korea and Turkmenistan, you can now visit...Buffalo, USA!

You will experience the rise and fall of a great American city as it happens, and by doing so understand more about the unique ideas and historical circumstances that produced the American Experience of the 19th and 20th century. Buffalo has some relatively strong prospects for stability, and we will introduce you to some of those interesting entrepreneurs and their projects as well, including urban farms, micro-breweries — and indeed tourism!

Highlights:

- Inside Buffalo’s Abandoned Grain Silos

- Buffalo Central Railway Terminal

- Robert R. Moses Power Plant

- Love Canal

- HH Richardson State Psychiatric Hospital

- Roycroft Utopian Community

- Largest collection of Frank L Wright Houses in the US

Love Canal..."highlight." :lol:

http://koryogroup.com/blog/?p=1534

From tour company that brings you to such exotic locales as North Korea and Turkmenistan, you can now visit...Buffalo, USA!

Love Canal..."highlight." :lol:

Curious about the "R" in Robert Moses' name. I've never seen a middle initial associated with him. A quick Google search showed no mention of it - even his tombstone says, simply: Robert Moses.

Considering what is happening with the parkway named after him in Niagara Falls maybe it stands for "Rip it up."

Interesting concept. Having recently moved back to Chicago I have been mulling over why Chicago has arguably been successful where Buffalo has not (keep in perspective that success is a relative term - for purposes here why Chicago grew more than Buffalo and has faced less of a decline)

One of the simplest reasons is because Chicago is on the west side of the lake and as a result experiences less snowfall.

Hardly a full explanation but one that I do think is salient to the story.

Bill

they mention TBD.

Pre-Tour Briefing and Cocktails (Optional) — Meet your hosts and fellow urban explorers in the hotel lounge, further details TBD. Get excited as we begin our Buffalo exploration the next morning!

Edited by mead107

they mention TBD.

Pre-Tour Briefing and Cocktails (Optional) Meet your hosts and fellow urban explorers in the hotel lounge, further details TBD. Get excited as we begin our Buffalo exploration the next morning!

I hope someone told Scott that he's got to provide the further details.

Cocktails. What further details do you need??

Sounds like some of the group I was with in China. Got tired of them asking the tour guide "where are we going, when is lunch, etc" so I finally spoke up and said that it was all on the intenary they got the first day. Their reply "Oh, we threw that away days ago". :wallbash:

Sounds like some of the group I was with in China. Got tired of them asking the tour guide "where are we going, when is lunch, etc" so I finally spoke up and said that it was all on the intenary they got the first day. Their reply "Oh, we threw that away days ago". :wallbash:

I would not survive in a tour group. Well I'd survive but some of the the tour members definitely would not. :death:

$1500???? You get a Hard Hat but NO DINNERS????

I'd substitute Love Canal for any of the former Plant Sites such as Bethlehem or Republic Steel, Being from Buffalo, Id prefer staying on familiar turf! Love Canal is not in Buffalo.

Where's; Forest Lawn, The Rockpile, The Aud, the site of the new Domed Stadium, Broadway Market etc?

Interesting concept. Having recently moved back to Chicago I have been mulling over why Chicago has arguably been successful where Buffalo has not (keep in perspective that success is a relative term - for purposes here why Chicago grew more than Buffalo and has faced less of a decline)

One of the simplest reasons is because Chicago is on the west side of the lake and as a result experiences less snowfall.

Bill

Being windward of the lakes helps...But not really. Yet, BFLO being alee and protected (like Detroit) has a very mild and tempered climate than Chicgao... Just don't talk about snow! Everything else weatherwise outside of the snow problem is in BFLO's favor. The winters in Chicago are brutally colder and the summers sweltering hotter than BFLO. Funny thing, historically... Marquette actually favored the portage to be further east (St. Joe, Mich to the Kankakee to the Illinois)... Right through Southern Lake Michigan's snow belt! Who knows what might have been had the Chicago portage never been established where it was?

Anway, I say why Chicago is still relevant is because what your real estate agent has always told you: "Location, Location, Location!" Chicago is still the terminus for the Seaway and a transportaional hub. Ports wise, Chicago and Northwest Indiana has two waterborne doors to the world that are OPEN YEAR ROUND. BFLO was made a dead end when the Seaway was completed. Tranportational systems always become more streamlined. What made BFLO KILLED BFLO. What made Chicago still makes Chicago. Who wants to make a left turn to BFLO when heading up lake? Transportationally, BFLO is no longer needed as a break-in-bulk point. Chicago is still very much defined by what originally built it. Old grain silos, maybe in BFLO... But not in Chicago. Maybe a few if that? Heck last year everything was soy being stored up north here... NOW, it seems like a lot of bulk wheat is being stored for the winter. The two biggest cities on the Great lakes WERE Chicago and BFLO. Since the Seaway, Toronto has taken BFLO's place with a more streamlined tranportation doors to the world.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Comparing Buffalo to Chicago in almost any way is like....well hell I've drank too much to even make a reasonable analogy. Someone help me out here!

Sure no problem... How is that "canal district working out for BFLO?" Does it actually produce anything other than a few diehard tourists and nostalgia? Not knocking it, BFLO that is, but what other city had to literally reinvent itself from ground up? BFLO is a hard luck case... Makes me feel sad for it...

Tell me about it! BFLO is just not relevant in the classic sense anymore. That is, being what built BFLO. Chicago is still doing what it has been doing since its inception... Going on 150+years. In matter fact, just right now I am moving over 8,000 ton of wheat and soybeans out of the winter silos and its headed down south! This goes on every day and night in the spring! Chicago and the midwest moving its products to the world!

Bill

Being windward of the lakes helps...But not really. Yet, BFLO being alee and protected (like Detroit) has a very mild and tempered climate than Chicgao... Just don't talk about snow! Everything else weatherwise outside of the snow problem is in BFLO's favor. The winters in Chicago are brutally colder and the summers sweltering hotter than BFLO. Funny thing, historically... Marquette actually favored the portage to be further east (St. Joe, Mich to the Kankakee to the Illinois)... Right through Southern Lake Michigan's snow belt! Who knows what might have been had the Chicago portage never been established where it was?

Anway, I say why Chicago is still relevant is because what your real estate agent has always told you: "Location, Location, Location!" Chicago is still the terminus for the Seaway and a transportaional hub. Ports wise, Chicago and Northwest Indiana has two waterborne doors to the world that are OPEN YEAR ROUND. BFLO was made a dead end when the Seaway was completed. Tranportational systems always become more streamlined. What made BFLO KILLED BFLO. What made Chicago still makes Chicago. Who wants to make a left turn to BFLO when heading up lake? Transportationally, BFLO is no longer needed as a break-in-bulk point. Chicago is still very much defined by what originally built it. Old grain silos, maybe in BFLO... But not in Chicago. Maybe a few if that? Heck last year everything was soy being stored up north here... NOW, it seems like a lot of bulk wheat is being stored for the winter. The two biggest cities on the Great lakes WERE Chicago and BFLO. Since the Seaway, Toronto has taken BFLO's place with a more streamlined tranportation doors to the world.

Comparing Buffalo to Chicago in almost any way is like....well hell I've drank too much to even make a reasonable analogy. Someone help me out here!

Sure no problem... How is that "canal district working out for BFLO?" Does it actually produce anything other than a few diehard tourists and nostalgia? Not knocking it, BFLO that is, but what other city had to literally reinvent itself from ground up? BFLO is a hard luck case... Makes me feel sad for it...

Tell me about it! BFLO is just not relevant in the classic sense anymore. That is, being what built BFLO. Chicago is still doing what it has been doing since its inception... Going on 150+years. In matter fact, just right now I am moving over 8,000 ton of wheat and soybeans out of the winter silos and its headed down south! This goes on every day and night in the spring! Chicago and the midwest moving its products to the world!

From the current issue of Artvoice: http://artvoice.com/issues/v12n17/news_analysis