Geno Smith vs EJ Manuel

IMO barkley was clearly the better prospect on the board at the time. I wonder if this was more fallout from the Sanchez experience, hesitating to draft another USC QB

If that were true, he wouldn't have lasted until the 4th round. People have been scouting him for 2 years. Whether you have a starter or not, his value couldn't have been that good to drop that far

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO barkley was clearly the better prospect on the board at the time. I wonder if this was more fallout from the Sanchez experience, hesitating to draft another USC QB

I think the pro scouts are seeing the whole QB class very differently than the media pundits. Media fastened on the most pro-ready, pocket-polished guys, never mind the small arms and concerns about low ceiling. NFL scouts went for size, athleticism, and arm strength, never mind the spread offense and the flaws in technique.

Edited by Hopeful

If that were true, he wouldn't have lasted until the 4th round. People have been scouting him for 2 years. Whether you have a starter or not, his value couldn't have been that good to drop that far

I see your point, but I also discard Landry Jones taken ahead of him. Landry is clearly drafted as a project who will sit behind Ben for years to develop. Probably more than anyone barkley is expected to be able and run a pro style offense on day 1. Jets need the latter.

I see your point, but I also discard Landry Jones taken ahead of him. Landry is clearly drafted as a project who will sit behind Ben for years to develop. Probably more than anyone barkley is expected to be able and run a pro style offense on day 1. Jets need the latter.

They don't think so. They think they have David Garrard for that, if need be, just like we have Kolb and TJax.

I think the pro scouts are seeing the whole QB class very differently than the media pundits. Media fastened on the most pro-ready, pocket-polished guys, never mind the small arms and concerns about low ceiling. NFL scouts went for size, athleticism, and arm strength, never mind the spread offense and the flaws in technique.

That's true. But on pure size/athleticism/arm strength combined there were still guys better than (or at least comparable to) Geno. I think geno separated himself with nfl-ready in some peoples minds.

They don't think so. They think they have David Garrard for that, if need be, just like we have Kolb and TJax.

Think we'll have to disagree here. From seeing a lot of NY media they want Sanchez long term replacement on day 1. theres no sense at all Garrard has a shot at starter. Hes a designated day 1 backup. hes 35 and out of football for a year, Kolb 28 and started last year until injury. Manuel may be favored by Bills, but I still think Kolb gets a legit shot at starting.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Yeah, I don't recall all these insults towards him before the Jets drafted him.

Actually, some versions of these and/or related concerns WERE out there and that they were was a major sports news topic just a week ago.

Other directly football-related concerns about Smith highlighted how bogus his stats were - 28.8% of his completions were behind the line (ESPN's Numbers Never Lie just ripped him on that Thursday before the draft - Compare with Manuel who had the highest yards/attempt of any of the top prospects). It was also clear Gruden wasn't impressed with Smith.

There were three players I dreaded the Bills taking in the first round - the two guards (great players but why not resign Levitre instead unless we are spinning our wheels?) and Geno Smith.

When you combine the question marks he already brings with the ever-more-ridiculous circus in the Jets organization I would now lay 3-1 Smith is a complete bust and out of the league in 5 or less years.

Edited by BobChalmers

Actually, some versions of these and/or related concerns WERE out there and that they were was a major sports news topic just a week ago.

Other directly football-related concerns about Smith highlighted how bogus his stats were - 28.8% of his completions were behind the line (ESPN's Numbers Never Lie just ripped him on that Thursday before the draft - Compare with Manuel who had the highest yards/attempt of any of the top prospects). It was also clear Gruden wasn't impressed with Smith.

There were three players I dreaded the Bills taking in the first round - the two guards (great players but why not resign Levitre instead unless we are spinning our wheels?) and Geno Smith.

When you combine the question marks he already brings with the ever-more-ridiculous circus in the Jets organization I would now lay 3-1 Smith is a complete bust and out of the league in 5 or less years.

Should Bills fans really talk when it comes to how the team matches up against the Jets?

Should Bills fans really talk when it comes to how the team matches up against the Jets?

Well we have a higher all-time winning percentage than the Jets do and we lead the all-time series against the Jets.

So why shouldn't we talk?

Yeah, I don't recall all these insults towards him before the Jets drafted him.

How about these remarks:

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

I guess Nolan Nawrocki is looking a bit better today than he did 3+ weeks ago when his above remarks were published.

I guess Nolan Nawrocki is looking a bit better today than he did 3+ weeks ago when his above remarks were published.

Unfortunately for Nolan on that argument - he was high on Barkley and had him as a first-rounder.

I don't believe I did that - so odd comment after quoting me.

I do say the Jets are a dysfunctional circus - particularly in their handling of QB's. That puts me in line with roughly 98% of the reporters out there.

My point relates to the OP in that by many accounts Geno Smith could use a less volatile situation - something which (the seemingly far more mature) Manuel will actually get from the Bills for at least the next 3 years or so.

Edited by BobChalmers

Look, I don't know either one of these kids and I won't hold someone's background, or should I say their environment, against them but when I heard each of them interview that Geno Smith just rubbed me the wrong way. While I can understand his disappointment he still came across selfish and insincere while EJ impressed me not only genuine but also dedicated. Regardless of what happens to EJ while he's in Buffalo I find myself unexpectedly rooting for him just in life, he strikes as just a nice kid. The only thing that would surprise me is if EJ wasn't successful in his life, on or off the field. Here's to Buffalo, I think that they found a real winner in this kid.

This just keeps getting better and better. I am SOOOOOOOO glad we didn't take Geno Smith now. What an idiot.

The New York Daily News reports No. 38 pick Geno Smith has fired his agents over "displeasure (with) his draft position."

Welcome to the big leagues, Geno. Per reporter Manish Mehta, Smith thought he "would and should be the No. 1 overall pick," but was given "no assurance of his draft position." Smith shooting the messenger over his draft position isn't a promising indication of how he'll handle the New York spotlight, but players changing agents is hardly a rarity. It won't be a story going forward.

PERSONAL

The Communications major is a member of the Seminole Student Boosters and was a two-time selection on the Atlantic Coast Conference All-Academic football team...Son of Jackie and Erik Manuel…Born Erik Manuel Jr., on 3/19/90…Resides in Virginia Beach, Virginia

I read somewhere he is the godson of Bruce Smith a good friend of his father who watched Bruce play at the Ralph. (no link going by memory)

Geno already backtracking from the firing his agent story -- "I don't want to shed too much light on it but it's not because of the whole draft experience."

Yeah, Jets fans, this is going to end well. :lol:

Geno Smith is a:

1. childish innercity punk

2. dufus

3. little prick

4. piece of trash

5. bad dresser (Polo sweater...really? AND he wears his draft hat OVER his ears...wtf?)

6. bad talker

7. whiny crybaby

8. stuck-up half-witted scruffy-looking nerf-herder

Plus he's got a funny-looking nose.

Did we miss anything?

9. A Jet. (you missed the worst one of them all.)

Not sure who is the better QB. EJ seems to have more potential. But just from listening to and watching these two young men:

1. Geno is most likely to become a more of a head case than he already appears, especially in the NY Media circus. He looked immature and like someone that quits as soon as the going gets tough as his name wasn't picked in the early rounds. Remember the hang dog look from Joe Ferguson. Wait till NY jumps on this dude. The Jets are going from one cry baby to another. Geno won't last in that town.

2. EJ carried himself like an adult.

3. EJ spoke like an adult, even addressed some media schmuck as SIr. Everyone can understand what he is saying.

4. Geno sounded straight from the hood. Could not transfer his thoughts into words.

I believe that the real reason Geno did not get drafted in round one is all in Geno's head or rather the lack of things in his head. I don't care if Geno is better, I do not want to listen to a dufus like Geno for the next ten years.

Amen, Geno is a athletic childish inner city punk.

WOW... Atleast we know who wears the white sheets on TBD... I don't care what anybody says I know what this means... Same was being said with Cam Newton on this board... SMH...

Geno already backtracking from the firing his agent story -- "I don't want to shed too much light on it but it's not because of the whole draft experience."

Yeah, Jets fans, this is going to end well. :lol:

I dont think I've ever heard a guy fire his agent just a few days after the draft. Might be a non-story but it does raise an eyebrow

While I understand that Geno is a Jet, and everything the Jets do is up for ridicule by Bills fans.

The comments regarding his maturity in the green room on day 1 are off base. He's a kid. It was the biggest night of his football life, he didn't get picked. How would anyone his age react? Jump up and down? I remember a guy named Thomas that was stiffed day one. He was a bit pissed off too. And he talked about it for a long time. Big deal.

I give the guy a pass on that night, since in the big scheme of the NFL it's meaningless and way to silly to judge the guys character on.

Really? I'm all for giving people the benefit of doubt, but Geno Smith is a different story. If you can't "ball park" a guys character by your firat impression (well, first impression while facing adversity anyway) then you may wnat to rethink things. Thomas is a different story, he was "mad" and it put a chip on his shoulder and all he did was shove down the throats of everyone that passed on him and made it to the Hall of Fame. Geno hung his head, pouted like a child, and actually said, in so many words, that he was taking his ball and going home. Dude, it's a big stage these kids choose to put themselves on, especially at the QB position. Now nes comes out that he fired his agent...wow!

As for your question about what I would expect him to do...look up what Barkley had to say after his slide. "It's not going to say '4th Round Barkley' on my jersey, it's just going to say Barkley."

Not to mention the fact he's got to deal with b*tch boy Sanchez, who will do everything he can to ensure Geno's failure. Oh yeah, he's going to be a QB in NYC...I actually feel bad for the kid.

One of the guys on the radio yesterday (I forget which channel) was saying that Geno's pre-draft visits did not go well. There were issues with his answering questions on the defensive schemes and it was why he never went in the 1st as projected.

I reckon he'll be OK and I wish him the best. No easy task playing QB in that NY zoo of a market.

Maybe I'm being a homer here, but I find EJ a more likeable, mature man. And...I think he has the mental intangibles to have a good NFL career. Not to mention the almost freakish athleticism.

Today on ESPN radio, a couple of national media types were guessing which QB would have the most success in the NFL. They immediately discounted EJ, saying the Bills suck and always will pretty much. That comment pissed me off, even though looking back 13 years its pretty true. They ignored the fact that a new sheriff(s) is in town.

They concluded Matt Barkley will be the most successful this year because of the great team around him. We'll see.

I'm tired of the lack of respect (and coverage) we get from the national media.

Whatever the case, I'm proud to have EJ as our future franchise guy. He seems like a helluva classy kid. And...Bruce Smith's God son. Gotta love that factoid !!

jb

These "experts" seriously have their heads up their asses. As I recall, Philly had a piss poor record. Their logic is a bit flawed.

Ohhhh wait...maybe they meant because Chip Kelly is the coach. That little Hitler will get an atomic wedgie more often than not this season.

EJ seems to have more upside. Even if he doesn't work out - many 1st round QBs don't as we all know - I appreciate that we rolled the dice on EJ. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Exactly. EJ has freakish speed for a qb, great size, and a cannon. He was drafted for his upside, not to start day 1. Even if EJ doesnt work out, we had to take a shot at a QB . So why not take a shot on the guy who has the most upside? If the coaches get him coached up and put together, he will be much more of a threat than Barkley, Nassib, or Geno. He has personally said he will do whatever it takes and work hard to get there. And equally as important, he is genuinely happy to be a Bill. Attitude has a lot to do with success in life. Whether it is the NFL, a career, or personal relationships.

I wanted Nassib, I thought he could start from day 1. Because of that, I never even watched or read about EJ. After watching and reading as much as I could find on him, I feel like this was the best decision for the BIlls. Its like the difference of drafting Andy Dalton to start right away or Kapernick who needs a little time but has a much higher ceiling. Id much rather have Kapernick. EJ can be that guy. I just hope the coaches dont throw him into the fire before he is ready. Let's have Kolb run the offense and coach Geno up as much as possible.