Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

Lots of "experts" are panning the pick (see: NFLN), but I think most of us are psyched about it, particularly with the well-timed trade and extra picks. If Minnesota hadn't freaking sold the farm to the Pats* (for Cordarelle?) this would have been a ideal first round.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all, a very good day. I am not sure how I would have felt if we drafted him (or any other QB) at 8. Yet, getting the extra picks and being able to draft the QB with perhaps the highest ceiling makes me happy.

I have seen EJ play, and he certainly has the physical tools. The things that impress that I did not really know about until we drafted him:

1. Great leader;

2. Very intelligent - he already has his undergraduate degree and is working on his graduate degree (I think that I read that it was international relations or something like that).

3. Bruce's Godson. This kind of makes him a legacy.

4. Good all round kid - compare that with some other QBs who will remain nameless for now.

With proper coaching, it seems the sky is the limit. Given that we have Kevin Kolb, there is no reason to rush him as a full time starter.

I also loved the fact that he is thrilled to be a Buffalo Bill.

It also was obvious that Gruden and Mayock think that he can be a great QB in the NFL. As an aside, based on what I have read since the pick, it appears that Philly, Cleveland, and others were going to go after him.

Props to both Adam Schefter and Joe B. for calling the pick.

Edited by Peter

I am also cautiously optimistic about this pick. He's a great kid and has a lot of potential. Also glad we picked up the extra 2+7 as well. Those are very important picks. With this roster there is no reason we don't get a couple starters there.

I liked the trade but was less than excited with the pick at first. I'd been hearing that Manuel possessed a ton of upside but had accuracy problems.

The accuracy rap is complete nonsense.

1) Although completion percentage doesn't necessarily prove accuracy, EJ's career completion percentage is very high, 66.9% in spite of the fact that his career yards per attempt is quite high at 8.6 ypa. To complete a high percentage of passes while throwing the ball farther downfield than most QBs would seem to refute any questions about his accuracy.

2) In addition, the Sports Science segment on EJ mentioned that on passes thrown 10 yards or more downfield, his completion percentage was within 2% of Andrew Luck's.

3) In the Sports Science segment, EJ scored higher on the accuracy tests than any other tested QB and his combined metrics were in the neighborhood of Big Ben and Kaepernick's

4) In the Quicken Loan Skills competition, Manuel blew away the competition (Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, and Jordan Rodgers in the accuracy part of the competition. He also won that competition overall.

5) I've watched about 8 games of videos (all plays where he threw or ran the ball, certainly over 200 passes) and the guy throws a beautiful and accurate ball.

Whatever shortcomings EJ may have, accuracy is not one of them.

EJ was my favorite QB in this class by far.

To trade down and pick up two extra picks and get EJ exceeds my expectations for the first round.

I'm very happy right now.

This is the guy I wanted all along as well. Obviously the Bills were not going to take him at 8, but I'm glad they found a trade down partner and picked up an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

I feel he has the potential to be a Big-Ben or Daunte Culpepper (before his knee injury) type QB.

Looking forward to watching this kid develop....great job Bills!!

Now if the Bills can luck out and get Zach Ertz at 41 and Robert Woods at 46, this offense could get good very quickly.

As stated by SJBF. I have the same thoughts. He was my number 1 QB I wanted in the first place. Reminds me of a mix of Big Ben, Cam, and Kaepernick all in one. Somewhere in the middle of all of them. He's got the most upside in the entire draft at the QB position. I'm assuming its one of the guys Nix was boasting about being one of the "Franchise Guys" and I really hope Marrone is on board with the pick as well.

All this while picking up an extra 2nd rounder? Wow. For once its exactly what I would have wished in my dreams. And we finally pulled this thing off.

I'm just hoping he becomes like Kaepernick real soon.

The simple fact that we traded down and got the guy we actually wanted (read on buffalorumblings a few hours before the draft that Marroune loved EJ). Was just talking with my dad, if we spent the next 2 picks on:

Williams, Terrance WR 6'2" 208

Baylor

Kelce, Travis TE 6'5" 255 Cincinnati

I would literally be uncontrollably ecstatic. I know a lot of ppl want use to pick up D positions, but i'm willing to roll the dice on FA's this year while we install w/e new D scheme we have and see how the players actually react to it. I feel like we really don't know what we have when we're going to be running a hybrid. That and i'd love to have weapons that actually pan out.

My preference woulda been Millner or Warmack (both selected right after #8) then go QB in round 2. BUT we got the QB that we needed (& obviously our 1st choice) AND we managed to get another 2nd rounder.

Is this scenario better than waiting to pick from whatever QBs are left at 41 (& having everyone virutally certain that we will pick a QB there)? IDK; depends on how much disparity there was in their ratings of the various QBs.

He seems genuinely excited to play here. I know it's 101 PR, but for once I'd like some stars that don't completely hate Buffalo.

The simple fact that we traded down and got the guy we actually wanted (read on buffalorumblings a few hours before the draft that Marroune loved EJ). Was just talking with my dad, if we spent the next 2 picks on:

Williams, Terrance WR 6'2" 208

Baylor

Kelce, Travis TE 6'5" 255 Cincinnati

I would literally be uncontrollably ecstatic. I know a lot of ppl want use to pick up D positions, but i'm willing to roll the dice on FA's this year while we install w/e new D scheme we have and see how the players actually react to it. I feel like we really don't know what we have when we're going to be running a hybrid. That and i'd love to have weapons that actually pan out.

I know exactly what you mean, we've spent so much money and picks on the defense in the last couple years, one more draft isn't gonna "fix" it, I'd rather have an offense oriented draft year. Hopefully Pettine can bring some magic to the D and accentuate them.. As stupid as it sounds, I'd rather watch a 38-35 win than a 9-6 win.

Edited by FireChan

He seems genuinely excited to play here. I know it's 101 PR, but for once I'd like some stars that don't completely hate Buffalo.

I know exactly what you mean, we've spent so much money and picks on the defense in the last couple years, one more draft isn't gonna "fix" it, I'd rather have an offense oriented draft year. Hopefully Pettine can bring some magic to the D and accentuate them.. As stupid as it sounds, I'd rather watch a 38-35 win than a 9-6 win.

If he has success, he's going to love it even more. Remember, Jimbo initially didn't want to be here. Perhaps I'm just a bit starved to have a QB who gives at least the appearance of being legit but I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now.

I like the pick, im just still a little shocked with it. Could somebody please sell me on him and being taken 16th. I watched a few of his games during the year and I do like him but just wondering why you all think he was chosen over every other QB?

The Bills backers bar in NYC was a very unhappy place after the pick!! (not saying much due to the $3 beers)

I do like the pick im just a little shocked.

Go Bills!

I like the pick, im just still a little shocked with it. Could somebody please sell me on him and being taken 16th. I watched a few of his games during the year and I do like him but just wondering why you all think he was chosen over every other QB?

The Bills backers bar in NYC was a very unhappy place after the pick!! (not saying much due to the $3 beers)

I do like the pick im just a little shocked.

Go Bills!

Watch the highlight video I just posted a few posts back...you will be impressed.

Also, he would not have made it by Cle and Philly, both who were very high on him, especially Chip Kelly

Edited by Alphadawg7