Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

I really hope that this kid proves all the national writers and many on here wrong! I mean what does he need to do this year to make people happy, win the SB?

i really think that what EJ has to do is show that he is not out of place as an nfl quarterback. show a bit of toughness and flash that talent that got him drafted first of this qb class. basicly, show us we are not wrong to believe in him and the ralph will be rockin' once again.

oh, yeah, and kinck the ever-lovin' dog$#!! out of the patriots!

Edited by swnybillsfan

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that this kid proves all the national writers and many on here wrong! I mean what does he need to do this year to make people happy, win the SB?

If that happened, there's a contingent on this board that would still B word about it being beginner's luck and he's one year wonder.

If that happened, there's a contingent on this board that would still B word about it being beginner's luck and he's one year wonder.

If that happened, I wouldn't care... Let it be beginners luck and bring us home the trophy. Do I really think that will happen, no, but it's nice to dream

If he throws more TDs than INTs+fumbles, and the team wins .500 of its games or more, I will be ecstatic and think we're going in the right direction.

If he plays at all, which he may well not...I expect inconsistency. Thats OK. He's a smart kid. He'll figure it out. Honestly believe EJ will be a good one down the road. I am guessing....at this point Kolb will be the starter. Myself? I'm all good with Kolb being the starter. That is if EJ isn't all the way there yet. We need to make the playoffs this year fellas. Whoever gives us the best chance to win....right here....right now.... is who we play...in my way of thinking.

This is the year the network gets pissed because they have to actually cover the Bills.. How cool is that? WAY COOL !! LOL !!

We are gonna make noise this year, boys....hell yeah. Cant damn wait !

If he plays at all, which he may well not...I expect inconsistency. Thats OK. He's a smart kid. He'll figure it out. Honestly believe EJ will be a good one down the road. I am guessing....at this point Kolb will be the starter. Myself? I'm all good with Kolb being the starter. That is if EJ isn't all the way there yet. We need to make the playoffs this year fellas. Whoever gives us the best chance to win....right here....right now.... is who we play...in my way of thinking.

This is the year the network gets pissed because they have to actually cover the Bills.. How cool is that? WAY COOL !! LOL !!

We are gonna make noise this year, boys....hell yeah. Cant damn wait !

i understand where you are coming from but in my opinion, this is EJ's team as soon as he is up to speed. and i am hoping that happens sooner rather than later.

i understand where you are coming from but in my opinion, this is EJ's team as soon as he is up to speed. and i am hoping that happens sooner rather than later.

Absolutely, Sir. Abso-freakin-lutely !

https://soundcloud.c...j-manuel-on-nfl

The interview with him.

Thanks for posting the link. :thumbsup:

Brawndo's horning in on your territory!

You gonna let him do that to you?

:)

I don't like that either, considering FSU did not ask Manuel to do a lot. He made a very high percentage of short, safe passes from the shotgun.

I really hope Manuel pans out... but, there's good reason why most outsiders hated the pick.

The rare double reach.

I don't like that either, considering FSU did not ask Manuel to do a lot. He made a very high percentage of short, safe passes from the shotgun.

I really hope Manuel pans out... but, there's good reason why most outsiders hated the pick.

Not sure what you consider a high percentage of deep passes, but last year, out of 387 pass attempts by EJ, 85 of them (22%) were 16 yards or longer and he completed 47.1% of them. On passes of 20 yards or longer (I don't know how many of the 85 were these), he completed 49.2%, which compared favorably with Luck, RGIII, and Wilson in their senior seasons.

BTW, he had 129 passes (33.3%) between 6-15 yards, and 44.7% of his passes where short.

As for Jimbo Fisher's offense, it's one of the most complicated in college. Likely too complicated for the majority of players on offense, +/- EJ.

Edited by Doc

Not sure what you consider a high percentage of deep passes, but last year, out of 387 pass attempts by EJ, 85 of them (22%) were 16 yards or longer and he completed 47.1% of them. On passes of 20 yards or longer (I don't know how many of the 85 were these), he completed 49.2%, which compared favorably with Luck, RGIII, and Wilson in their senior seasons.

As for Jimbo Fisher's offense, it's one of the most complicated in college. Likely too complicated for the majority of players on offense, +/- EJ.

Wasn't Christian Ponder regarded as quite the smart guy - graduated in 2 1/2 yrs then working on two master's degrees, MBA and sports management?

I read that EJ Manuel actually graduated in Dec 2011 and has been working on a master's degree since then.

It would align to think that a college program which selects for smart QB might have a complicated offense that requires a smart QB to master.

Most QB in a college spread offense make a high percentage of short, safe passes from the shotgun.

That doesn't mean they can't make deeper passes, it just means short stuff was the bread 'n butter of their college scheme.

For that matter, most passes in a true WCO are short, high-percentage (safe) passes, the big adjustment is taking snaps under center and mastering the footwork that is used to set the timing.

Edited by Hopeful

Most QB in a college spread offense make a high percentage of short, safe passes from the shotgun.

That doesn't mean they can't make deeper passes, it just means short stuff was the bread 'n butter of their college scheme.

For that matter, most passes in a true WCO are short, high-percentage (safe) passes, the big adjustment is taking snaps under center and mastering the footwork that is used to set the timing.

Yeah but the point of Doc's post was a refutation of Leelee Phoenix's assertion that "considering FSU did not ask Manuel to do a lot. He made a very high percentage of short, safe passes from the shotgun."

That assertion flies in the face of the advanced stats that Doc mentioned as well as the very basic fact that Manuel's YPA was 8.6 yards, the highest among major college QBs.

If he's gonna make statements like the quote above, back it up with something…. don't try selling it as fact when it's not.

A lot (if not most) of the time, IMO, when players speak about "complicated" offenses to learn, it is the actual words used to call out the plays. Some systems have an inordinate amount of words that the QB has to call in the huddle so each player knows what his duty is. Other systems, that may actually be a lot more complex in their play design or execution, have less words or numbers or formations, and so it is easier to learn. That doesn't at all mean that one is simple or another is complex, let alone speak to its difficulty for a defense to figure out or defend.

A lot (if not most) of the time, IMO, when players speak about "complicated" offenses to learn, it is the actual words used to call out the plays. Some systems have an inordinate amount of words that the QB has to call in the huddle so each player knows what his duty is. Other systems, that may actually be a lot more complex in their play design or execution, have less words or numbers or formations, and so it is easier to learn. That doesn't at all mean that one is simple or another is complex, let alone speak to its difficulty for a defense to figure out or defend.

Here's a sample to go along with Kelly's awesome post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrhVFRPyUwE

What do you expect him to say? That he has it all down before his first season?

Before anyone panics about this comment from Hackett, remember EJ is still the same guy the coaching staff and front office fell in love with pre-draft. They knew what they were getting.

I know it's way early and I know they're playing in perfect conditions in the field house, but EJ has looked great airing out those deep balls to Rogers. I also think Hackett - as a first time NFL coordinator - has to stay way cautious. I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet, but it is a really nice shade of deep green in May.