Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

I think it definitely means something. This is an opportunity to see improvements to things seen on tape. It's all scripted but not having a single person from the team there says a lot.

they can also visit with him privately in the coming weeks and avoid the crowds, and met with him just weeks ago. hes also thrown a TON of passes on tape.

the surprising thing is that WVU has a fair number of propects (though i know AZ is chasing high rated WRs).

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if the Raiders take Geno and the Cards take Barkley.

This scenario "could" actually work to our advantage. Bills could probably trade down, gain a pic or two and still get one of the 2nd tier candidates. Or better yet, 2 of the 2nd tier candidates.

jb

@RapSheet: Who will be #Cardinals QBs battling? Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, and either Skelton or Lindley. Not expecting first-round QB selection.

I hope we take Geno or Barkley. We need to take a chance with a new QB and not a retread that failed with another NFL team.

Not if the Raiders take Geno and the Cards take Barkley.

If they aren't there when it is your turn then you are still in position to select a quality player at another position. There are still good qb prospects who will be available in the second round. I wouldn't be adverse to trading down and getting more picks to address other needs. No one really knows how the draft will unfold. There are always major surprises with selections and trades.That's the nature of the draft. You have to be flexbile and have your options ready when your draft turn comes up.

Did anyone really know how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he was selected in the third round? My point is that there are good prospects in this year's draft. You have to be open minded and not be afraid to make a mistake. If it doesn't work out then next year try again. If that doesn't work out then the following year try again. Sitting on your hands until you are in position to take the dream prospect is a foolish way to conduct business.

Did anyone really know how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he was selected in the third round? My point is that there are good prospects in this year's draft. You have to be open minded and not be afraid to make a mistake. If it doesn't work out then next year try again. If that doesn't work out then the following year try again. Sitting on your hands until you are in position to take the dream prospect is a foolish way to conduct business.

May we please, please, please have a moratorium on using Russell Wilson as an example of a great QB you can get in the third round? It was a totally unique set of circumstances that will very, very likely not be duplicated for a generation, if ever.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

May we please, please, please have a moratorium on using Russell Wilson as an example of a great QB you can get in the third round? It was a totally unique set of circumstances that will very, very likely not be duplicated for a generation, if ever.

im not sure if its better or worse than the old "brady was a 6th" arguments.

Arizona not there? Doesn't matter, Raiders are taking Geno anyways

I don't believe they will. They still have Palmer, and Pryor who they used a supplemental pick to grab. AND they have huge holes that need to be filled with BPA's who will be there for them

them wanting Geno is a smoke screen IMO

Some quotes about Geno on his workout;

"Smith showed lots of balance and great accuracy on the move, while hiting targets 25 yards plus down the field"

"his downfield touch and accuracy was impressive. Lots of zip on the ball and balance throughout his compact release"

sorry on my phone, can 't link to the article

If you are so irritated with the Russell Wilson example then consider that Kaepernick was taken in the second round and has proved to be an exciting player.

If you are so irritated with the Russell Wilson example then consider that Kaepernick was taken in the second round and has proved to be an exciting player.

He's a much, much better example. He had all kinds of question marks on him coming out of college. The problem is, one out of 20-30 of these 2nd and 3rd round picks becomes Colin Kapernick, iMO (because I think he has a chance to be very, very good but hasn't proven it yet over a couple seasons). Very few of them even become Andy Dalton, and I don't personally think Dalton is all that good although others do.

Only if they truly feel like he's a guy who can be a high-quality NFL QB for 10+ years.

Otherwise, just go with "best player available" philosophy. There are just too many roster holes right now and only 6 picks in the draft.

Great Pro day so the Faiders, Browns and Cards could all take him. If Marrone etal. Feel this is the guy, Call Jacksonville and just do the deal. At least you freaking tried.

itd cost you next years first and id guess at the very least a 3rd this year i assume.

and if he pans out as a franchise qb he would be worth every bit of it. itd be a bold move. i like geno, but im no expert.

itd cost you next years first and id guess at the very least a 3rd this year i assume.

and if he pans out as a franchise qb he would be worth every bit of it. itd be a bold move. i like geno, but im no expert.

At some point you have to just pull the trigger. We are well under .500 each year WITH all of our first round picks. Why not sacrifice one to see if you can move up and get a guy who can lead the franchise is how I see it.

Call the Jags, make the offer, pick the kid and move on.

Only if they truly feel like he's a guy who can be a high-quality NFL QB for 10+ years.

Otherwise, just go with "best player available" philosophy. There are just too many roster holes right now and only 6 picks in the draft.

BPA and passing on a QB has us 13 years out of the playoffs and well under .500 each year. Nix just said on his recorded call you can do BPA when the QB is in place, We don't have a QB.

I say screw it, make the offer to the jags.

At some point you have to just pull the trigger. We are well under .500 each year WITH all of our first round picks. Why not sacrifice one to see if you can move up and get a guy who can lead the franchise is how I see it.

Like what the Redskins did.

I think people worry that Geno isn't RGIII, in terms of talent.

Trade up with what? We have six picks. Is Geno so good that you mortgage the entire draft to get him?

Buddy himself said (on the wire tap) that their six picks are precious.

next years first would be the bulk of the package.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I kind of hope he gets picked before the Bills pick.

I'm sorry, but I have a weird vibe about Geno Smith. He has this "downer" kind of personality. I can't describe it any other way. I honestly think he's a great kid, it's just that I'd worry about his personality type in regards to leadership. Also, why did his play suddenly wilt in the second half of his senior season? I wish Geno all the best, I'd just rather have Manuel or Scott.

Trade up with what? We have six picks. Is Geno so good that you mortgage the entire draft to get him?

Buddy himself said (on the wire tap) that their six picks are precious.

Entire draft (not really but at least a day 2 pick) plus next year's #1. Under no circumstances should the Bills be paying the high cost of trading up in this draft, especially into the top 5.

Like what the Redskins did.

I think people worry that Geno isn't RGIII, in terms of talent.

Is there anyone who does think he's RG3 in terms of talent? Or even close?

Edited by KD in CT

I'd highly doubt it would cost an additional first to move up from 8 to 5. You could probably get it done with a 3rd or 4th rounder this year.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I kind of hope he gets picked before the Bills pick.

I'm sorry, but I have a weird vibe about Geno Smith. He has this "downer" kind of personality. I can't describe it any other way. I honestly think he's a great kid, it's just that I'd worry about his personality type in regards to leadership. Also, why did his play suddenly wilt in the second half of his senior season? I wish Geno all the best, I'd just rather have Manuel or Scott.

Now what makes you want Manuel or Scott over Smith? I'm very curious.

He's a much, much better example. He had all kinds of question marks on him coming out of college. The problem is, one out of 20-30 of these 2nd and 3rd round picks becomes Colin Kapernick, iMO (because I think he has a chance to be very, very good but hasn't proven it yet over a couple seasons). Very few of them even become Andy Dalton, and I don't personally think Dalton is all that good although others do.

Drew Brees is another non first round draft pick (top of second) who had questions about his height. My point is that you don't have to have the top pick or near the top pick to come up with a quality qb prospect. Drew Brees is not tall and he is not mobile in the sense that he tucks the ball and runs across the line of scrimmage.Coming out of college there were even questions about his arm strength. Someday he is going to be inducted in the HOF. You are right that Dalton might not be a "special" type of qb but he certainly is a legitimate starting qb. There is a chance that he can still get better and upgrade his rankings.

My general point is that waiting for the "prize" qb catch when your team consistently ranks in the lower middle of the pack doesn't guarantee that you will be in a position to draft a Luck or RGIII type of talent. If your scouts have a "keen" eye for talent other very worthwhile qb prospects can be had, more likely, in the second round.

Who is to say that the so-called second tier qbs such as Glennon, Wilson, Bray, Landry Jones etc won't eventually be better qbs than the top tier qbs? What I do know for sure is that sitting on your hands with respect to drafting qbs gets you no where good.

BPA and passing on a QB has us 13 years out of the playoffs and well under .500 each year. Nix just said on his recorded call you can do BPA when the QB is in place, We don't have a QB.

I say screw it, make the offer to the jags.

I see your point. I would feel more comfortable moving up if he was more of in the mold of Luck or RGIII. It maybe better to trade back into the bottom of the first round or early second to get your guy this year. Besides next years Senior Class of QBs included McCarron, Murray, Logan, Boyd, Thomas and probably Manziel, we need to have first next year in case the QB taken last year does not pan out.

There were posters aplenty who thought Russel Wilson would be there for the taking in the fourth round...others thought he'd slide as far the fifth.

I said then that they were completely insane, that he'd definitely go in the third, and that I wouldn't have even minded him coming to us in the second.

The 20/20 hindsight on Wilson for the last three months has been astonishing.

Should start soon.

28 NFL team reps there.

This is going to be big.

Confirmed: Nix is there. Arizona is NOT there.

Thanks for the tip! I'll tune in to NFL network tonight to get Mayock's take.

Brees was the 32nd player taken. He's a first round pick.

No one is to say that these guys won't be the player. I'm saying that 1-10 or maybe 2-10 of these guys is going to be a franchise player, and I very much doubt that even Ozzie Newsome, whom I consider to be the very best GM in the game, could tell you with any certainty whatsoever which 1 let alone 2 will be that player. They're not good odds.

You're right, we do have to take a chance on one, and maybe two of them though.

I still say our best bet, unless we get Geno at 8, is to draft one in the late first or early second, and then draft another one if we think he can be a franchise guy in 2014. We need two.

There were posters aplenty who thought Russel Wilson would be there for the taking in the fourth round...others thought he'd slide as far the fifth.

I said then that they were completely insane, that he'd definitely go in the third, and that I wouldn't have even minded him coming to us in the second.

The 20/20 hindsight on Wilson for the last three months has been astonishing.

But he was a total fluke regardless. The Seahags didn't know anything more either. They just pulled the trigger earlier. Buddy made a huge tactical mistake. He liked Wilson a lot. But EVERYONE considered Wilson to be a project and back-up coming into the league. Nix just decided, because he thought we were on the cusp of the playoffs, that a speed WR would help us more to reach that goal this year than a back-up QB would. So he chose TJ. It wasn't in a vacuum. He doesn't hate QBs. He didn't miss out on Russell Wilson staring him in the face. He made a bad, bad choice, missing out on Wilson and TJ floundered. He's paying for the decision by likely leaving sometime after the draft.

The Jags have no interest in taking Geno. Neither do the Raiders or the Eagles. They just want to stoke the media fire and get Buddy or Cardinals to package picks to move up.

It's ALL posturing and I hope Buddy doesn't fall for it. Geno will be there at 8 if they want him.

Manuel - Size, speed, he's smart, he can avoid getting tackled and extend plays, a better than average arm, great personality. I see him having a Steve McNair type of franchise QB career.

Scott - The more I watch his videos, the more he reminds me of Drew Brees. Great arm and release of the football. Ball comes out and fast. Scott's feet are fast as well, he beat Russell Wilson's cone drill times! He may need a year of seasoning, but he's a fighter. Dude almost got knocked out in the USC game, had a concussion, threw up, and still lead his team to a come from behind comeback win. Seems as if this kid is being overlooked by everybody except NFL scouts and personnel. I predict he won't get out of the second round.

I think both these guys are not easily shaken, won't be intimidated at the next level, and have a better than decent chance of paying off for whoever drafts them.

I'd highly doubt it would cost an additional first to move up from 8 to 5. You could probably get it done with a 3rd or 4th rounder this year.

Earlier it was said move to 2

And if the Bills think JP is the guy, trade up. If the Bills think RJ is the guy, make a big move. If the Bills think Bledsoe is the guy, make a big move. These clowns cannot evaluate QBs. Don't risk additional picks that we desperately need for a marginal QB in a weak QB class

if Geno isnt there at 8 then take him but dont move up. Next years QBs are so much better. I know nobody wants to suffer through another losing season with Tavaris Jackson at the helm but if we get a top 10 pick next year the top 4 QBs that are projected to come out will have better grades than Geno does this year. Just wait it out and dont give up too much for this guy. We have too many other holes on this team that need filling.