Overpaid Free Agents '13. 3 Dolphins and Levitre make the list

The good news is there were no Bills on that list. One thing with Russ running the show is that the contracts will be well structured. There is a lot of money to earn for the QBs but it is built in with bonuses and escalators. You do often have to overspend to get top players to Buffalo but I am glad that they are not overspending this year for guys that are not difference makers.

Ellerbe was a big one for me. The guy has played half a season full time and hes worth 7 million? Mike Wallace is another one, Good player, wasn't even the best reciever on his team last year

Well said. Free agency is the msot overblown thing ever. Teams don't win championships with FAs unless they are a QB (which rarely happens) or a pass rusher. I'm fine with overspending for Mario. But to overspend on guards, receivers, or LBs, it's fools' gold.

Actually isn't he making 13 million over the next two years?

Actually, no -- unless he plays a lot. And if he's playing a lot, that means (a) he's healthy and (b) he's probably playing pretty well. Under that scenario, he's still not overpaid.

Kolb is many things, some good and some bad, but he is not overpaid. The Bills can get out at 1 year and $3m. That's an acceptable risk to me. Still would have liked to keep Levitre, but he is getting too much for a guard I would say.

12. Titans guard Andy Levitre

Levitre is a good football player and will help the Titans at a needy position, but they paid an awful lot to get him. Levitre's six-year contract averages $7.8 million annually with a $10.5 million signing bonus. The market's other top young free-agent guards -- Louis Vasquez (Broncos) and Donald Thomas (Colts) -- were far better values at $5.875 million and $3.5 million, respectively.

The Titans are essentially paying Levitre left tackle money. Indeed, he's making more per season than Tennessee's own left tackle, Michael Roos. (Perhaps Roos should request a raise.) Levitre has never been to a Pro Bowl and goes 6-foot-2, 303 -- small for a guard. Here's hoping he doesn't get physically manhandled in the AFC South.

Wow, almost 2 million more per year then Vasquez. I knew it was overpayment, but I didn't realize just how much until seeing the numbers put up against some other players.

So our defacto owner / marketing man Brandon's slogan for the year will be: We're gonna suck but at least we didn't overpay (like we did last year). Brandon is a tool.

A tool because he didn't go out and frantically over-spend on FA's knowing that we need to preserve cap space to sign out own to contract extensions (i.e., Byrd, Wood, Spiller)? A fool because he brought in 3 pretty quality FA's in Lawson, Branch and Kolb for bargain contracts? How would you have done it differently?

BTW....I guarantee you the Bills are not done in FA.