Things worth seeing from NYC to buffalo. Road trip

Vetriano

Try driving through the state of Illinois. Illinois is one of the most levelest state when taken through a cross section. Kansas is flat but all up hill to the west... Think of like sticking a giant level on a state... ;-)

One old timer I worked with was from St. Louis... From The Chicago area to St. Louis is about 4-5 hours... He would read the newspaper while driving there, he was the driver!... LoL... :-O

LoL... So true!

I don't know if somebody mentioned Old Fort Niagara... That is always my favorite!

i drove through IL right around 3-5am so I don't remember much. I can tell you I was blasting my radio to stay awake at the time though.

I can assure you it's nothing as boring as Nebraska though. It felt like it went on for an eternity and definitely felt like the entire state was on a level. Everything west of Lincoln that is. I think I actually had suicidal thoughts during that part of my drive.

Iowa was also bad but the exact opposite of flat. It was hill after hill, after hill, after hill... All exactly the same height and same pitch. It was like being on a waterbed that had been swooshed from front to back.

On my way back to Buffalo from Vegas I drove along the southern states and I can also vouch for the fact that Oklahoma and Arkansas is also pretty horrible but still not nearly as bad as Nebraska.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i drove through IL right around 3-5am so I don't remember much. I can tell you I was blasting my radio to stay awake at the time though.

I can assure you it's nothing as boring as Nebraska though. It felt like it went on for an eternity and definitely felt like the entire state was on a level. Everything west of Lincoln that is. I think I actually had suicidal thoughts during that part of my drive.

Iowa was also bad but the exact opposite of flat. It was hill after hill, after hill, after hill... All exactly the same height and same pitch. It was like being on a waterbed that had been swooshed from front to back.

On my way back to Buffalo from Vegas I drove along the southern states and I can also vouch for the fact that Oklahoma and Arkansas is also pretty horrible but still not nearly as bad as Nebraska.

LoL... Wow... Hang in there on those long rides! ;-)

LoL... Wow... Hang in there on those long rides! ;-)

well, I drive straight through from Buffalo to Denver, all by myself, no sleep or rest. Took me 24 1/2 hours to the minute. I was a little crazy at times that trip. The next day I drove the remaining 10-11 hours to Vegas. Utah was pretty cool but I felt like I was in The Hills Have Eyes.

well, I drive straight through from Buffalo to Denver, all by myself, no sleep or rest. Took me 24 1/2 hours to the minute. I was a little crazy at times that trip. The next day I drove the remaining 10-11 hours to Vegas. Utah was pretty cool but I felt like I was in The Hills Have Eyes.

LoL... Yeah... Don't break down! Open the window, let the cold air roll in! Maybe a few primal screams! :-)

If you are driving up through in August, go to Saratoga Race Track...not that you are inviting your daughter to gamble, but the ambiance of the track/stables is amazing (the stables were filmed in "Seabiscuit") and there are plenty of nice places to eat in Saratoga as well. Have fun!

My wife and I got married in Chicago and drove from Buffalo to there. We were driving through Gary late at night. Thomas Dolby's Blinded me with Science was playing. We heard the line "I can smell the chemicals...." We both looked at each other with a look of whoa.

Hit the Walmart in Cortland. Don't stare when you see toothless banjo players that look inbred. Shucks, I am getting confused with West Virginia... Oh no wait, they have their own little slice of life in NYS too!

Boy, hillbilly jokes never get old. Just KIDDING!

Have fun!

My wife and I got married in Chicago and drove from Buffalo to there. We were driving through Gary late at night. Thomas Dolby's Blinded me with Science was playing. We heard the line "I can smell the chemicals...." We both looked at each other with a look of whoa.

LoL... See, now you know where I went wrong... It wasn't BFLO. And Michael Jackson too! It is much cleaner now... You can hang your wash out and it will at least look good... ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I agree that it's boring but I take it you've never driven through northern Texas or the the Grapevine through central California. Boring!

To the OP poster I agree with the Finger Lakes especially with a 9 year old. More wine for you!!

I actually like that part of the drive through central Cali. Put on your cruise control, tie the steering wheel in a fixed straight position, take a nap, enjoy looking at the farmland. Nothing but grapes for two hours on either side of the road is impressive. I'm putting in 3 acres of grapes next week so I appreciate the farmland stuff.

Ill agree that the Albany to Syracuse drive is probably one of the most boring drives across the state. That and Elmira to Binghampton on the 17/86.

I like the stretch just past Albany where you parallel the Mohawk River for a while. Other than that, there's a couple cool looking little towns that look like they're directly out of the early 1900s, but you pass them way too quickly. Other than that, yeah, not much to see there.

I like the stretch just past Albany where you parallel the Mohawk River for a while. Other than that, there's a couple cool looking little towns that look like they're directly out of the early 1900s, but you pass them way too quickly. Other than that, yeah, not much to see there.

Yep my wife grew up in the Mohawk Valley (Ilion/Frankfort/Herkimer/Mohawk) and my in-laws still live there so I visit quite a bit. They're a little more advanced than say Fonda or Little Falls - stuck in the 1960s maybe :)

If you want boring. Drive 23 North from Delaware, Ohio to Toileto, Ohio.

I would take a road trip to NY just to go to Wegmans and walk along the canal...I've been avoiding this thread because it makes me miss WNY. Dang it.