Less than 2 weeks till the draft, your pick at #8

Patterson has one season of college ball with a limited number of receptions (46) and yards (778). However, he looks the part and I expect him to impress at the next level despite the negatives that have been spun about his numbers last season. People forget ( or are not aware of) the fact that he was the top recruit out of Juco with a number of top Div I programs chasing him (rumored to be Auburn, Ole Miss and Alabama among others). The guy will be the top WR to come out this year. If he is there at 8 and the Bills pick another WR, they will regret it.

All of the above being said, my pick is Jarvis Jones. Mainly because, based on stats and visual observations, he is both the BPA and fills a position of immense need. There is a deep pool of solid WR's this year that will be available in the second and third rounds. WR is a need, but this defense needs playmakers and the top end of this draft is where to find one. I'm not too scared off by the reports on his spinal condition. He won't be the first or the last to succeed despite medical question marks. And the 40 time is over rated. Watch game film (not a highlight reel) and see how explosive he is and how successful he is in chasing down runners, receivers and QB's. Dude is far from slow when he needs to get the job done.

Edited by VanCity

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson has one season of college ball with a limited number of receptions (46) and yards (778). However, he looks the part and I expect him to impress at the next level despite the negatives that have been spun about his numbers last season. People forget ( or are not aware of) the fact that he was the top recruit out of Juco with a number of top Div I programs chasing him (rumored to be Auburn, Ole Miss and Alabama among others). The guy will be the top WR to come out this year. If he is there at 8 and the Bills pick another WR, they will regret it.

All of the above being said, my pick is Jarvis Jones. Mainly because, based on stats and visual observations, he is both the BPA and fills a position of immense need. There is a deep pool of solid WR's this year that will be available in the second and third rounds. WR is a need, but this defense needs playmakers and the top end of this draft is where to find one.

With the new "can't touch 'em" rules I think trying to pick impactful defensive players in the first round is like chasing ghosts of a bygone era of the NFL.

If I were a GM, my 1st round picks would almost always go to offensive players (unless it's a guy like Clowney from SC). The NFL has changed greatly in the last couple of years. I see adding Patterson like adding one of the real pieces that makes a team Superbowl winners. Kind of like how the Cowboys got Smith and Irvin in 1st rounds gearing up for their eventual winning of three titles.

Im not going to mark anything, I am sure after one season you said the same about Mike Williams. No one knows and he hasn't shown me pro bowl level play yet.

Kelly i really do want you to mark it down !

I watched enough of him , as you probably did , to reach the conclusion this kid is going to be very succesful at the Left Tackle postion.

I realize for most it's much to soon. and he has NOT shown pro bowl play but he did develop well through the season.

Mike Williams umm not so much and not a fair comparison :thumbdown:

Now if you would like to talk about Pat Williams well...thats another story

The Bills beed more picks. If they can trade down and get at least another second, it could work. In this scenario, the could select Fluker or Warmack, and draft Bray (hopefully) in round 2. They also need LBs and a TE.

But if Barkley is there and they select him at 8, you won't hear any complaints from me.

With the world acknowledging the fact that there isn't a QB in the top 15, you can bet your last dollar Buddy Nix will draft a QB at #8.

"IF" Russ Brandon overrides him and makes his own choice for Wilson it will be a DB.

"IF" Buddy Nix decides to give his new HC, the first choice will be an OT, Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, OR an OG in Warmack, WR in Patterson.

What might be an idea to do is trade that #8 to a team like the Saints who might covet one of those 3 LOT's and trade the #8 for the #15 and a their 2nd round pick. Then drafting OT Fluker @ #15, then with 2, #2's drafting either Lbers, Ogletree, Tio, Brown,and QB Ryan Nassib with the other #2. Thus filling some needs at ROT, LBer, QB.

Edited by FeartheLosing

He won't get passed the bears at #20. Not a chance he gets to the second. Last year Kuechly was going mid to late first. Brown will be the same.

We'll see I suppose...my estimation is that Brown is no higher than the 3rd non-rush LB off the board behind Ogletree & Minter. I think there's a chance Te'o goes before him as we'll (whether he deserves to or not).

With the new "can't touch 'em" rules I think trying to pick impactful defensive players in the first round is like chasing ghosts of a bygone era of the NFL.

If I were a GM, my 1st round picks would almost always go to offensive players (unless it's a guy like Clowney from SC). The NFL has changed greatly in the last couple of years. I see adding Patterson like adding one of the real pieces that makes a team Superbowl winners. Kind of like how the Cowboys got Smith and Irvin in 1st rounds gearing up for their eventual winning of three titles.

Like the prolific Raven's offense? Last I checked they shut down the best O in the league in New England and then kept Kaep in check in the SB. Gotta still play D to win.

Draft a QB if you love him.

If not, take Jarvis Jones.

Other picks I'd be happy with- dion Jordan or dee milliner.

Other picks I wouldn't be upset with- Warmack, vaccaro (crazy, but true. I think he's a difference maker), fisher, lotulelei

No way am I taking a 5'7 reciever at #8... I don't give a damn how fast he is. Cordarelle Patterson is out as well. -IMO, there are better SEC recievers to be had later on.

I just finished watching Pats vs Bills, week 4 of last season... People, our linebacking corp is abyssmal. Barnett, Scott, & co couldn't shut down a kiddie pool. Watching Mario get HANDLED by Gronk was also especially painful. Sure, Wanny sucked, but there's no excuse for that. -EVER.

I'm still taking Ziggy Ansah if he's there... I trust Pettine to turn all that youth, speed, and muscle into a fearsome pass rusher.

If Ziggy's gone, I take E.J. Manuel. He's got the most desirable skill set in this lame QB class... After months of careful consideration, Jarvis Jones is also OUT for me at #8. He's a big injury risk, and he's NOT a hard worker. -Fughettaboutit.

Edited by #34fan

I have two moves.

1) Trade down. We aren't going QB at #8 with Kolb on board. The team spent a ton of time with him before offering him a contract and he feels the Offensive system will fit him, plus I have been convinced from the start the next QB is Nassib, with a trade back into the first round.

2) Lane Johnson LT Oklahoma. Will be a stud for years AND we can move Glenn inside giving us one of the better interior lines in the NFL.

or we move Glenn to the right and Lane to the left or vice versa. We can get a guard latter bc we need a RT as much as OG

I have two moves.

1) Trade down. We aren't going QB at #8 with Kolb on board. The team spent a ton of time with him before offering him a contract and he feels the Offensive system will fit him, plus I have been convinced from the start the next QB is Nassib, with a trade back into the first round.

2) Lane Johnson LT Oklahoma. Will be a stud for years AND we can move Glenn inside giving us one of the better interior lines in the NFL.

Glenn is a LT...move him and he will be finding away out the door. He played extremely well as a rookie at LT, LT make big money if he is not going to play LT here he is going to play LT there.

1) Trade our #1 this year for a 2014 #1 pick, bundle them and draft Johnny Football next year.

2) Stop all nonsense talk about moving a future alll-pro LT to RT. We have a LT, don't draft what we already have. If we have to pick at 8, best LB or receiver available.

What's wrong with having an all-pro L and R tackle?

The Bills beed more picks. If they can trade down and get at least another second, it could work. In this scenario, the could select Fluker or Warmack, and draft Bray (hopefully) in round 2. They also need LBs and a TE.

But if Barkley is there and they select him at 8, you won't hear any complaints from me.

I think it will be difficult for the Bills to get good value if they trade down because the talent is so similar until the 20's or so. Hopefully SD/Dal wants an OT and we can get something from them if our targeted players aren't there. So be prepared if the picks aren't great value.

1) Trade our #1 this year for a 2014 #1 pick, bundle them and draft Johnny Football next year.

In case this isn't sarcasm...

Have you seen him play? I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of being successful in the NFL. I do admit heavy anti A&M bias, but, I would not consider taking this guy.

Draft a QB if you love him.

This is where I'm at as well. I have my opinions on the QBs that I've seen enough of, but there are too many I haven't seen or have seen just a couple times. I'll trust the new coaching staff (not Nix) to make their feelings crystal clear to everyone in the room.

Like the prolific Raven's offense? Last I checked they shut down the best O in the league in New England and then kept Kaep in check in the SB. Gotta still play D to win.

The last time New England won a Superbowl was when they featured WRs and not TEs. Deion Branch was the MVP of that game.

The Ravens wouldn't have even been in the playoffs let alone go on a Superbowl winning hot streak without Anquan Boldin. They scored 34 on the 49ers.

Look at the Giants run with Victor Cruz. That one play against the Jets sent them on the Superbowl winning run.

Defense is officially over rated with these new rules. It's a luxury to have a good one, but not a necessity. Patterson is the guy the Bills should pick. I think even Kolb or Jackson could win the division with an offense that would be that loaded with talent.

Edited by 1billsfan

I have two moves.

this is mine exactly... maybe opposite order but i don't think he'll be there. i'd also consider Dion Jordan, who i don't think will be there either. those are the only 2 i see with value at #8. but if you trade back, maybe you should also make picks there... if so, tough to guess who will be there w/o knowing how far the tradeback is but... i'd consider Patterson or Eifert (if we trade down a little) or Pugh or Manuel (if a lot).

2) Stop all nonsense talk about moving a future alll-pro LT to RT. We have a LT, don't draft what we already have. If we have to pick at 8, best LB or receiver available.

the idea is to be great on the O-line, at OT in particular. so while Glenn was ok, still debatable he'd going to be great there, struggled a little with speed rushers, so if you can get another great OT who's even better on the left, why are people so afraid of moving Glenn? does it give hope to think we are actually capable of getting a gem in 2nd round? people seem so protective, i don't get why they care. let's get two good OT's, shouldn't matter to us which one plays where.

Patterson is the guy for me at #8. I think that he will be one of those guys that some teams ahead of us wish they'd drafted but went with the so-called "safe" pick instead.

Go and watch his highlight videos again. His moves are unreal. The Bills need a true impact player on offense to compliment Spiller and one who you'd be happy to place the franchise tag on in the future.

if i had to guess what the Bills WILL do, it'd probably be this. we like won't have the players i want available, and we won't have the nutz to trade down... Patterson, or possibly Xavier Rhodes at CB (hey, these ARE the Bills).

Edited by Brainiac21

Patterson is the guy for me at #8. I think that he will be one of those guys that some teams ahead of us wish they'd drafted but went with the so-called "safe" pick instead.

Go and watch his highlight videos again. His moves are unreal. The Bills need a true impact player on offense to compliment Spiller and one who you'd be happy to place the franchise tag on in the future.

I am 100% with you on Patterson, I think he is a little risky, but not enough to worry about. We'll watch this kid light it up for the next 10 years for someone else if we don't pick him.

the idea is to be great on the O-line, at OT in particular. so while Glenn was ok, still debatable he'd going to be great there, struggled a little with speed rushers, so if you can get another great OT who's even better on the left, why are people so afraid of moving Glenn? does it give hope to think we are actually capable of getting a gem in 2nd round? people seem so protective, i don't get why they care. let's get two good OT's, shouldn't matter to us which one plays where.

EXACTLY. I can't for the life of me understand why some folks are so worried about the fate of certain guys 3 off-seasons from now. Let's get better now, and worry about what happens in 2016 when we get there. I mean, one of the greatest problems in the football world would be worrying about how we re-sign our multiple all-pro offensive linemen...