Will Gronk be back for Week 1?

BRAWNDO

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a widely held belief in the medical community that large quantities of beer, body slamming friends and dancing like a second rate Chippendale while wearing a cast inhibits the body's ability to fight infection. I have no idea what happened. :P

If he's received six weeks of antibiotics, then he almost certainly has an infection involving the plate/bone in his arm. It's very hard to eradicate infections with antibiotics alone when they involve foreign materials or objects like plates. If the plate has been in a while, we usually recommend removing the plate, treating with antibiotics, waiting, and then putting a new plate back in.

My guess is they're trying to see if they can get away with not removing the plate, and hoping the infection clears with antibiotics. It's possible, but not the ideal approach. If that doesn't work (and there's a good chance of that), they'll have to remove the plate, treat again, and put it back in later.

If he's received six weeks of antibiotics, then he almost certainly has an infection involving the plate/bone in his arm. It's very hard to eradicate infections with antibiotics alone when they involve foreign materials or objects like plates. If the plate has been in a while, we usually recommend removing the plate, treating with antibiotics, waiting, and then putting a new plate back in.

My guess is they're trying to see if they can get away with not removing the plate, and hoping the infection clears with antibiotics. It's possible, but not the ideal approach. If that doesn't work (and there's a good chance of that), they'll have to remove the plate, treat again, and put it back in later.

At this point can the bone heal completely without the plate?

That's exactly what what I was going to say! :D

It is a widely held belief in the medical community that large quantities of beer, body slamming friends and dancing like a second rate Chippendale while wearing a cast inhibits the body's ability to fight infection. I have no idea what happened. :P

:w00t::lol: :lol: :oops::w00t::lol: :lol: ! GO BILLS !!! :beer:

Probably not. Usually they remove the hardware and treat with another six to eight weeks of antibiotics while keeping the arm immobilized. Then after the infection clears they can reinsert the plate as necessary

Probably not, which is why these situations can be difficult. Most surgeons understandably don't want to implant a foreign body into a site of ongoing infection, so it requires a lengthy treatment and recovery time.

Antiboitic resistant infections have been a real problem for a while. The Browns had three players with serious post op infections. All of the surgeries were done at the Cleveland Clinic. They spent a tremendous amount of time and money eradicating a particularly resistant strain, which I believe took three years. Completely revised their infection protocols.

Sounds like Gronk is having the same problem, although given his............energetic lifestyle, he may have contributed to the problem. "Caution" and "Gronk" are two words that definitely don't go together.

Still, he seems to be a pretty likeable kid.

Reportedly they've already tried the "not removing the plate and hoping the infection clears with 6 weeks of antibiotics", which leaves them with "remove the plate, treat again, and put it back later".

knock him full of some penicilin, throw some salt in his eyes, and soak the joint in a salve and iodine. If it works on a bull it will work on The Gronk.

I am starting to be happy we did not draft this guy. It is hard to count on a guy with this type of history forming and snowballing.