For the love of God, trade down!

cosmo

From what I have read about this year's prospects I can gather that this draft is definitely low (like zero) on superstar talent and crazy deep in second tier talent. Kinda like three rounds worth of 2nd round level guys so, given our current roster I sincerely hope that the FO trades down from #8 if they can get a decent offer. I don't know that I would even want the #1 overall pick, I guess you could grab one of the stud tackles but I would much rather be in SF's position of having three picks between #31 and #74.

But I ask you TBD posters, are there any players that could legitimately still be there at #8 who would be worthy of being taken that high? If we do stand pat and pick someone there, one thing's for sure - there will be tons of people freaking out on these boards about it haha.

*Sigh*

So if what you say is true about the draft, what would motivate ANY team to want to trade up? I'm all for trading down, but you have to have someone that wants to trade up. It's not just as simple as deciding to do so.

*Sigh*

So if what you say is true about the draft, what would motivate ANY team to want to trade up? I'm all for trading down, but you have to have someone that wants to trade up. It's not just as simple as deciding to do so.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows teams HAVE TO trade you their picks or players if you ask them nice. It's in the bylaws.

PTR

From what I have read about this year's prospects I can gather that this draft is definitely low (like zero) on superstar talent and crazy deep in second tier talent. Kinda like three rounds worth of 2nd round level guys so, given our current roster I sincerely hope that the FO trades down from #8 if they can get a decent offer. I don't know that I would even want the #1 overall pick, I guess you could grab one of the stud tackles but I would much rather be in SF's position of having three picks between #31 and #74.

But I ask you TBD posters, are there any players that could legitimately still be there at #8 who would be worthy of being taken that high? If we do stand pat and pick someone there, one thing's for sure - there will be tons of people freaking out on these boards about it haha.

The problem is that you have to have a willing trade partner. It's not entirely up to the Bills. If there is no 'superstar talent' as you say, why would a team want to trade up? FWIW, if one of the three stud offensive tackles is still on the board at 8, the Bills may be able to trade down. Someone would probably be willing to move up for one of them.

Here's the 3 players that I expect to be there when we pick. DE Ezekiel Ansah, CB Dee Milliner and DT Star Lotulelei. I listed them in my want/need order. If we get real lucky maybe Dion Jordan slides to us but I don't think so. If he did that's who I want Buffalo to take. Other than them 4 right there Buffalo would be better served to trade down IMO.

What if the team at 11 wants to trade up, who's worthy of the 11th pick that's not at 8? If no one, what pick do players in this years draft start becoming worthy to you? I love how someone makes such a demonstrative statement then wants everyone else to give the answers to support it.

Edited by Triple Threat

Every year people beg to trade down.

Every year they are dismissed, because it's so hard to find a willing trade partner.

Last year I believe a record 16 trades happened in the first round.

At one point in time trades in the first round, especially in the top 10 were neigh impossible and fairly rare. They have become much more realistic in the past few years, especially with the rookie cap.

Pooh poohing the idea of a trade isn't as nearly a safe position to mock from as it used to be.

*Sigh*

This. No more threads on this please.

Alright I get that it will be tough to find someone who wants to trade up and that even if there is someone they won't give up very much. But there could very well be a couple of playoff level teams that feel like they're one player away and willing to take a gamble (like the Falcons with Julio Jones). It just seems like too big of a risk for the Bills to just take someone at #8 who's not all that much better than someone who would be available late 1st early 2nd. The point of posting this was to see if anyone thought there was a player that we have a real chance at that would be worthy of that pick and/or entice someone to want to trade up.

Edited by cosmo

Every year they are dismissed, because it's so hard to find a willing trade partner.

At one point in time trades in the first round, especially in the top 10 were neigh impossible and fairly rare. They have become much more realistic in the past few years, especially with the rookie cap.

Pooh poohing the idea of a trade isn't as nearly a safe position to mock from as it used to be.

first off I agree with Tipster, if Jordan is there at 8 he is a no brainier. In fact if they don't run up to the podium in 4.3 seconds then I would be pissed. If also take Patterson at 8 and possibly Womack.

But the fact remains that it is better to trade down and pick up multiple picks. And this is where I have to add to what Joe is saying. Last year there were a record number of trades in the first round. The year before that, another record, the year before that; another as well. Since about 2009 there has been a ridiculous number of trades in the first round and specifically in the top 10-15. Regardless if there is talent that suggests it or not, teams will always want a guy that should and most likely will be drafted in the spot they would need to move up to. The compensation in a weak draft might not be as highly rated as in previous years, but at the end of the day there will be trade partners. It just depends on what your demands are and if you really want someone at the spot you are picking.

In fact, because its a weak draft, there will probably be more moves than usual. Teams are still set in guys they like and will do whatever it takes to make the moves necessary because the rest of the class is so weak they will feel like they have to make the move or end up with someone not as good as their coveted player.

Mark it in blood, there will be more moves this year than probably any other draft with the exception of last years. And that's a big maybe.

someone asked who is worth going 11th, vs going 8th....

I'll take a Guard/L?WR/CB at 11th with hopefully an addition pick in the second to go LB WR QB.

Is it only 3 spots they are moving up? sure? but to get your man your gonna have to give us at least your second for the current yrs draft. I would really like trading with SF or Any other team with a lot of stock piled picks. The other thing to note as many have stated, you need a willing partner and someone needs to be there that they think will be gone if they wait.

In fact, because its a weak draft, there will probably be more moves than usual.

What leads you to believe it is a weak draft? There's some position that are considered to have the best prospects at those positions in years.

+ 1. Like clockwork.

It's hard to win trade in the NFL. For the Bills.