Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the signing, confused by one year deal, but also confused why we are shopping for a DT when we have way bigger needs.

Who says we're only looking at 1 player at a time? Who says that in Pettine's new Defense adding another DT/NT isnt as important as another LB?

I like the signing, confused by one year deal, but also confused why we are shopping for a DT when we have way bigger needs.

maybe the front office is looking for value wherever they can get it, a "most bang for the buck" type thing. they may have also looked at video of last years run defense and thought it might not be a bad thing to try to start fixing it.

Edited by swnybillsfan

They need a rotation at DT. Additionally need some insurance in case Dareus has any stamina or conditioning issues.

Doesn't mean DT is not a need. Can't always get the players in the order you want.

Well may be the boys in the lab aren't finished cooking up the players to fill these "way bigger needs."

Precisely who should we have signed instead of Branch>

Who says we're only looking at 1 player at a time? Who says that in Pettine's new Defense adding another DT/NT isnt as important as another LB?

Exactly...Especially when you consider that fact that the Bills only had one true NT...And he's missed the better part of the past two years with back issues...Considering that point, it's a huge signing...

I pretty much assume with Pettine's system the Bills will manufacture more pressure on the QB...But defending the run...without a true NT...is an entirely different story...For 3 years now teams have lined up and run the ball right at they heart of the Bills Defense with not just good, but at times tremendous success...Was some of that LB's missing tackles and blowing their gap assignments? No doubt about it... But it was also Dareus, Williams, or whoever else was in the middle getting owned at times...

So anyway...Nothing wrong with bringing in someone who can help plug up the middle...Especially with Troup's future in as much doubt as his actual ability to be effective...And I consider any move that will keep KW, and Dareus, off the Nose to be in the Bills best interest... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

So would you be happier with a bad signing at a position of need?

I've decided Dork is either a staunchly committed troll or the most miserable person on the face of the planet (albeit not mutually exclusive from troll).

Either way, the ignore function be thine friend.

PR observation:

BB.com already has a story on him.

Nearly a week after Kolb, I have yet to see anything there about that guy.

I assume that it is simply a personal thing, and that Kolb is just on vacation, or moving, or whatever. It's a done deal, they just have to get him in town and sign the contract. As soon as he signs he will be paraded around. You could tell from what Marrone said today, he is just waiting until it is "official" and then will talk. Marrone even said he will go out of his way to come back and talk to the media guys as soon as that happens, so you know he just expects it is a formality.

Like I said, I'm confused about it. Obviously they have a plan and priorities that don't match up with my thoughts. Hence why I have a desk jockey job, and not a job in the NFL. :)

So would you be happier with a bad signing at a position of need?

Why does it have to be that? I'd rather have a solid signing at a position of "need". Like I said, I'm ok with this signing, just a bit confused by it. I'm not saying its a bad signing at all.

I've decided Dork is either a staunchly committed troll or the most miserable person on the face of the planet (albeit not mutually exclusive from troll).

Either way, the ignore function be thine friend.

Believe it or not, I'm quite happy. I'm just not "trusting" of the Bills in general, they make a lot of mistakes. As I said above, I like the signing, just a bit confused by it. Another person mentioned rotation, which is a good point, as I'm sure Carrington will be more used as a DE in the hybrid defense that it sounds like we're running. Consider me educated. Sorry for trolling.