Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have "want" lists, I don't compile "my mock" drafts, but I do follow the process, and I gauge who's who, though I don't know why.

It'll be who it's going to be, and three years after the fact we'll know if it worked out. A preordained knowledge of a selection's success--regardless of how much college football you watch or how many draft-mags you subscribe to--is an impossibility.

But, in the thick of professional sports' longest offseason, with nothing but speculation to cling to, I digress.

The continuity between Hackett, Nassib and Marone is enough for me to be 'okay' with the picking him to be our future QB with the 8th pick.

Not thrilled, not pissed, just 'okay.'

There are no consensus "franchise" quarterbacks in the entire draft, and if you look at our situation from 10,000 feet, it's not worth waiting for the right time and place to pick one this year, or any year--enter last year's universal resentment for the Colts to have both Manning and Luck available the years they picked first overalll. That simply doesn't happen.

So go with the guy you already know and draft another one in the third or fourth, and another one every year until one pans out.

The hit rate is so low, even for the guys 'everyone' clamors for, that Nassib is as good as any--at this point in time. Ad in the continuity, badda boom.

But the 8th pick shouldn't be valued relative to other quarterbacks this year, and what ultimately leads me to the "Nassib is okay at 8" conclusion is that no other player is so can't-miss at no. 8, that the opportunity cost of passing on a familiar QB can be overcome.

Since nobody can point to a position that requires help right away, and the one player who WILL be available and WILL have an immediate impact, might as well go with continuity.

I think Nassib could be and should be the no. 8 pick.

Let's look at it this way: forget about the specific player. If you asked Bills fans, Would you be willing to trade a first-round pick for competent QB play? Most of them would answer a definitive "yes," especially after what we've been through the past decade plus (indeed, some of us would trade a limb for competent QB play at this point). So if you assume that Nassib will execute Marrone's offense to competence-level or better (and it's a very reasonable assumption, since they have worked together and he knows it down pat), the pick would make sense.

Im all in. Keep drafting a QB until we get this thing right. Lets show Fitz the door. Keeping him around is only taking reps away from others. He is an average at best QB and thats all he will ever be. Show Mr Noodle arm the exit please.

I'm at the point where I don't care if they use their first two picks on the best QBs available. Have them, TJax and Fitz compete in camp. Keep three. And hope for the best.

Screen grab this ****, because it likely won't happen again: I'm inclined to agree with you.

Let's look at it this way: forget about the specific player. If you asked Bills fans, Would you be willing to trade a first-round pick for competent QB play? Most of them would answer a definitive "yes," especially after what we've been through the past decade plus (indeed, some of us would trade a limb for competent QB play at this point). So if you assume that Nassib will execute Marrone's offense to competence-level or better (and it's a very reasonable assumption, since they have worked together and he knows it down pat), the pick would make sense.

I know I could get drawn and quartered for this, but I might argue Fitz could have been considered "competent" had the defense not been historically bad and had Chan put the ball in our best players' (CJAX--really, not till now) hands.

Nassib will be good but only 3rd or 4th rounder as does not throw deep ball well enough for me to be picked in 1st or sec round(top of, no less)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah...the actual data presented in the "scouting" thread a few days ago completely debunks this claim.

Former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib prepares for NFL Draft by staying local

Ryan Nassib disappeared by never leaving. As his teammates spread across the country for specialized workouts in advance of the NFL Scouting Combine — Alec Lemon went to Arizona, Shamarko Thomas to Florida and Justin Pugh to Georgia — Nassib laid low in Syracuse, opting to remain holed up in the same classroom, weight room and football facility that launched his collegiate career. "I stayed local," Nassib said.

more at the link above

I don't have "want" lists, I don't compile "my mock" drafts, but I do follow the process, and I gauge who's who, though I don't know why.

It'll be who it's going to be, and three years after the fact we'll know if it worked out. A preordained knowledge of a selection's success--regardless of how much college football you watch or how many draft-mags you subscribe to--is an impossibility.

But, in the thick of professional sports' longest offseason, with nothing but speculation to cling to, I digress.

The continuity between Hackett, Nassib and Marone is enough for me to be 'okay' with the picking him to be our future QB with the 8th pick.

Not thrilled, not pissed, just 'okay.'

There are no consensus "franchise" quarterbacks in the entire draft, and if you look at our situation from 10,000 feet, it's not worth waiting for the right time and place to pick one this year, or any year--enter last year's universal resentment for the Colts to have both Manning and Luck available the years they picked first overalll. That simply doesn't happen.

So go with the guy you already know and draft another one in the third or fourth, and another one every year until one pans out.

The hit rate is so low, even for the guys 'everyone' clamors for, that Nassib is as good as any--at this point in time. Ad in the continuity, badda boom.

But the 8th pick shouldn't be valued relative to other quarterbacks this year, and what ultimately leads me to the "Nassib is okay at 8" conclusion is that no other player is so can't-miss at no. 8, that the opportunity cost of passing on a familiar QB can be overcome.

Since nobody can point to a position that requires help right away, and the one player who WILL be available and WILL have an immediate impact, might as well go with continuity.

I think Nassib could be and should be the no. 8 pick.

As of today one of the Wizards thinks he is going to rise a good bit. Which kinda might suck for us. The points you make really should be awarded for the clarity alone BC.

But especially ,"keep drafting every year until you get one" should be the theme from herein.

Marrone Hackett Nassib. Talk about a jump start.

If Coach thinks we can succeed with the kid , why shouldn't we ?

Defining moment coming in a couple months for this regime (QB drafted ). They take Nassib ? They almost need to come out of the gate looking quite competent.

The article impressed me a lot. He's very serious working with Ken Anderson and Paul Hackett both qb coaches . If they both agree that Nassib is a franchise qb, then I would take him in the 1st rd if Marone wants him.