Do you like the Kolb signing?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Kolb signing

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided/Not sure

Updated Ledger:

Plusses:

Solidifies the QB position in a worst-case scenario (if we somehow don't get another QB in draft)

Solidifies the veteran backup position (over just TJax)

Solidifies the rookie QB mentor position (over just TJax)

Didn't cost the Bills draft picks

Allows the Bills to consider not taking a QB at pick #8

Allows the Bills more freedom to trade down from #8

Sends a smokescreen to the rest of the league as to the Bills QB draft intentions

Lessens the pressure on the rookie QB

Shows the Bills are being proactive in roster building

Kolb probably fits the offense that Marrone intends to run

Minusses:

Might cause the Bills to underdraft or not draft a QB this year

Might have cost too much money

Is a lateral move or worse than Fitz

Could possibly retard the development of a rookie QB by taking away reps

Could possibly impair the team's ability to evaluate said rookie QB by taking away reps

Could cause the team to win more games in a rebuilding year, thus hurting next year's draft position

Shows the Bills don't know anything about roster building

Kolb doesn't fit the offense that Marrone intends to run

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather go with your top list b/c i would rather be a glass half full guy rather than all the negative nannies on here at leat as you said it gives the Bills more flexibility at the QB position rather than being cornered into choosing a QB with the first over all pick & reaching if Geno isn't there .

yeah there simply isnt enough information to know whether to like the signing or not

in its most basic form, hes really just another insurance policy that the bills will have somebody not awful ready to start games this season. it was a very good move in that they got perhaps the most ideal guy out there for their needs bc they didnt have to spend any picks to get him, and he still at least gives the possibility that he has upside from what he has shown the last two disappointing seasons

a lot of it will depend on what the contract details are. we know they arent just going to hand him six and a half million a season but since we dont know how much is guaranteed we have nothing to base an evaluation of the deal on

and of course it mostly will depend on how he does. i certainly dont see him as any significant improvement over fitz but he is two years younger and at least has shown he can complete longer passes. but fitz was pretty good on the short/medium range game and threw a lot more tds per attempt so right now id consider that a wash

so all in all i give this signing a big fat meh

The Kolb signing is a desperation move out of pure necessity and nothing more. If the Bills weren't desperate, this would have never happened. However, the Bills have painted themselves in a corner with no legitimate starting QB so they had to do something. The franchise has sunk so low that moves this questionable are praised.

"Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed" should be the Bills motto.

I understand your points and don't completely disagree.

However any transaction can be looked at:

1) When it happens

2) When the contract details emerge

3) After free agency if over

4) After the draft has taken place

5) During the preseason

6) When you're retired 23 years from now and scratching your butt while sitting in your favorite rocker

You both get my point.

The question is whether at this moment, you think (feel, guess, hope, predict, etc) that the Kolb signing was a good move based on the information we have available to us now. In other words, based on the possible outcomes of all the variables on the ledger.

I'm not gonna debate you guys but I did want to point that out.

Is there buyer's remorse at this moment or are people happy with the purchase in their gut?

edit:

Let me put it this way (the question could also be viewed as): Based on the football acumen that we all claim to possess, do we think this transaction will turn out to be positive or negative?

Negative. This was a Band Aid solution.

That said, the Bills' front office is privy to information we as fans don't have. If the Kolb contract is far saner than the $6 million a year figure currently being bandied about, and if the Bills are fully committed to drafting a first round QB in this year's or next year's draft, then that would make my opinion of the Kolb signing less unfavorable. A Band Aid solution that's used in addition to a real solution is less bad than a Band Aid solution instead of a real solution.

I/m going to say that I like the signing. I think Kolb had a tremendous amount of promise coming out of Philly. Even then his line in Philly was not good, or average, but when he went to AZ the line was God awful! I think with a good or above average Oline he can show us what everything thought he was going to become. That said, right now we can't say our Oline is as good as it was in previous seasons. We'll have to wait and see.

The Kolb signing is a desperation move out of pure necessity and nothing more. If the Bills weren't desperate, this would have never happened. However, the Bills have painted themselves in a corner with no legitimate starting QB so they had to do something. The franchise has sunk so low that moves this questionable are praised.

"Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed" should be the Bills motto.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/3/31/4166854/buffalo-bills-kevin-kolb-2013-nfl-draft-plans.

there is also another article up by Brian

I cant comprehend after all thats gone on, how anyone cannot love this signing. A big fat YES for me. Thanks for putting up the poll I was about to put up. Love it or hate it.....this move makes perfect sense.

I'm relieved. We have a foundation now at the QB position. Something we lacked with the release of Fitz. Upward and onward from here. Its all good.

jb

Edited by jaybee

What I like best is that Kolb didn't cost a draft pick. I believe he is perceived around the league as a big upgrade over Tarvaris, which means FAs are likely to take the Bills more seiously. I mean, think about Fred Davis having to decide between RGIII & TJax.

my vote was a no with a but....Its a gap fill for the time being and as long as it half of the 13 mil is incentive base I will be happy. I wouldn't mind going after glennon or kline and developing them behind kolb for the next to years. Or stick with just kolb this year, draft depth and once again address the QB situation next year.

Minus---has a concussion history in league more and more concerned about them.

I believe that Fitz made the O-Line look good because he had a quick release and could occasionally extend plays with his feet. People talk about how bad the Arizona O-Line was and how often Kolb was sacked. Maybe that was a symptom of holding on to the ball too long and not having a sixth sense about the impending rush. As a back-up and an extra arm in training camp maybe Kolb would be useful. As a QB on game day, I don't have a warm feeling at all.

Maybe that was a symptom of holding on to the ball too long .

Therein lies my biggest concern with this kid. He does hold onto the ball longer than he should. Conversely....he does do a decent job of buying time in the pocket....... And....making plays when the going is rough. He does need to learn to throw it away when the play isn't there though.

jb

I think Kolb is similar to Fitz but a lot more fragile . Let's see how he can do behind a good OL . It will be a interesting year with the draft and new coaching staff. I look forward to watching the new season. I do hope they do well.

If I had to pick either one, then yes. But I will not.

I am happy the Bills have taken notice of their issues at QB and not improving them in the last so many years. However, by goign out and finding a FA QB again I am not that enoucaged. I am happy with have some opporunities at QB, though.

Alright folks.

Less words and opinions, more facts. Here's the start of Kolb Ledger. Suggest entries for either side (plus or minus) and I'll update the ledger as I see fit.

Also please vote in the poll.

Thanks!

Plusses:

Solidifies the QB position in a worst-case scenario (if we somehow don't get another QB in draft)

Solidifies the veteran backup position (over just TJax)

Solidifies the rookie QB mentor position (over just TJax)

Didn't cost the Bills draft picks

Allows the Bills to consider not taking a QB at pick #8

Allows the Bills more freedom to trade down from #8

Sends a smokescreen to the rest of the league as to the Bills QB draft intentions

Lessens the pressure on the rookie QB

Shows the Bills are being proactive in roster building

Kolb probably fits the offense that Marrone intends to run

Minusses:

Might cause the Bills to underdraft or not draft a QB this year

Might have cost too much money

Is a lateral move or worse than Fitz

Could possibly retard the development of a rookie QB by taking away reps

Could possibly impair the team's ability to evaluate said rookie QB by taking away reps

Could cause the team to win more games in a rebuilding year, thus hurting next year's draft position

Shows the Bills don't know anything about roster building

Kolb doesn't fit the offense that Marrone intends to run

I disagree it is a lateral move. I think Kolb is much better than Fitz. Kolb had the same grade as Flacco during the regular season last year from PFF, a +4.5...playing behind that god awful OLine in Arizona, Kolb also posted a better QB rating than Fitz. I mean when every play is a jail break from the other teams defensive line, that is saying something. Had the same issues in Phily. God awful pass blocking OLine.

Interested in seeing what he can do with an above average pass blocking line(assuming we get a suitable replacement for Levitre) in Buffalo.