The Kolb Poll and Ledger

Do you like the Kolb signing?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Kolb signing

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided/Not sure

Sadly, I've seen many of these Bills QB competitions in 15 seasons :0/

If we draft a rookie early in the draft I don't see this as a recurrent thing. Two vets with considerable NFL starts and rookie battling out is not something we saw a lot in the past.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minus---has a concussion history in league more and more concerned about them.

I'll place "Kolb is a possible injury concern" in the minuses.

I'm also gonna change the choice of "not sure" to "undecided" because that better reflects the position of several people who want to see the contract details.

It's a good signing. He's an upgrade on Fitz and we needed the bridge guy for either this or next year's draft pick. Kolb, TJ and a rook should make for a Hell of a good QB competition. So on the plus ledger, Kolb raises the bar for the coming QB contest.

Its not a big deal either way. Doesn't take up much of the cap space we had and being a FA required no pics. Flynn was the better prospect but would have been more costly. It matter of value and I stated in a different thread the max value I would have paid for Flynn. Won't know if he could have been had there unless someone else trades for him like raiders. References to Fitz are irrelevant : he wasn't getting it done so you can't do worse.

I don't love the signing. I don't hate the signing. I'm ok with the signing. He's an upgrade over fritz and tjack IMO. 6.5 for 2 years is fine by me, interested to see what he needs to reach in order to get the 13 mill. Bottom line, he's an upgrade at QB, so it makes sense. I've never been a fan of Kolb, but ill be rooting for him now. He can throw the ball deep and should improve if our OL remains consistent. His injury history is a little scary, but I'm glad we did something. I think he's the best QB available via free agency at the time of the signing. I don't think he can lead us to the playoffs and will likely just keep is from picking in the top 3 next year....and that sucks. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can rise back to the top. While we're never good, we're never the worst.....which has been one of the reasons we still don't have a good qb. The signing has its pros and cons, but it makes us a better team than prior to his signing. Whether or not that's best in the long run is tbd

I'm not particularly a Kolb fan, but I feel he would be an adaquite bridge

That's what folks were saying about Ryan Fitzpatrick after he replaced Edwards. Sure hope this one plays out differently.

My vote is a no. Only a bottom feeding franchise can look positively at our QB depth chart as it stands today. Since none of us are wearing blinders we need multiple WRs, a couple more LBs and a TE to field a team in August. Toss in some O-line and DB depth and you have yourself one sorry looking franchise.

Six picks...

That's what folks were saying about Ryan Fitzpatrick after he replaced Edwards. Sure hope this one plays out differently.

My vote is a no. Only a bottom feeding franchise can look positively at our QB depth chart as it stands today. Since none of us are wearing blinders we need multiple WRs, a couple more LBs and a TE to field a team in August. Toss in some O-line and DB depth and you have yourself one sorry looking franchise.

Six picks...

The QB depth chart is better now in my humble opinion Beer then it was a season ago. Especially considering we have a HC who intends on using the depth the best way he can to benefit our sorry looking franchise as it stands today. Fitz, a career backup was starting last season, then we had Thigpen as Fitzpatricks backup, think about it.

Myself personally, the Buffalo Bills have sufficient talent and are just a good signal caller away from being a playoff contender.

Kolb & TJ > Fitz & Thiggy, its really that simple...

Edited by dog14787

We started the year with nada. Then we signed two of the better, most experienced FA QBs available (not wasting draft picks in a bad trade). Presumably we'll now draft one of the better college QBs available. When it's all said and done, we still may have nothing. But at least OBD is making a concerted effort. I voted "yes."

Kolb IS an injury risk. He has been injured in all three seasons that he has been given the chance to start in Arizona.

My biggest concern would be Kolb coming in.......aided by a new staff who the league doesn't have film on.......and puts together a decent enough individual season/run that the team thinks he is the answer at QB.

This happened with Fitz......and it set the organization back.

Kolb is not a reliable long term option at QB but he has shown flashes that have made teams think he just might be......like Fitz did in his first year and a half with Gailey.

Eventually, he will regress to his norm.......which is an injury prone, low completion percentage QB.

Kolb IS an injury risk. He has been injured in all three seasons that he has been given the chance to start in Arizona.

My biggest concern would be Kolb coming in.......aided by a new staff who the league doesn't have film on.......and puts together a decent enough individual season/run that the team thinks he is the answer at QB.

This happened with Fitz......and it set the organization back.

Kolb is not a reliable long term option at QB but he has shown flashes that have made teams think he just might be......like Fitz did in his first year and a half with Gailey.

Eventually, he will regress to his norm.......which is an injury prone, low completion percentage QB.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole Kevin Kolb issue ultimately revolves around whether the Bills draft a QB in the first round this year.

We started the year with nada. Then we signed two of the better, most experienced FA QBs available (not wasting draft picks in a bad trade).

That's a good point IMO. :thumbsup:

I'm confused why people think Kolb is a clear upgrade over Fitz. Other than 4 games last year where he graded decently on PFF, you've got nothing to base that on.

I bet a lot of us would say that it's because we've seen all Fitz has to offer and based on some glimpses of Kolb both in Philly and in Arizona that we think/hope that he can be better than Fitz.

Yes some of us are being hopeful but Kolb's sample size, while small, has provided us with some hope.

He's had some moments under trying circumstances.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole Kevin Kolb issue ultimately revolves around whether the Bills draft a QB in the first round this year.

This is why I cannot jude this acquisition just yet. One would think that this signing would put the Bills in a position to trade down and get at least another seond round pick. They need to draft starters in order to be even competetive, let alone win enough games to finish at .500. And, Gil Brandt loves this draft between 11 and 50. He isn't crazy about the top 10. I would love to see them take a chance on Bray with a second rounder they could pick up in a trade, and draft players early who can help us, other than defensive backs or running backs.

If the Bills run up to the podium and draft Nassib, did they really need to take the cap hit and release Fitz? The dead cap space could hurt them next year big time.

One would think that a rookie coach would have not wanted to approach year 2 with a ton of dead cap space. This team really is frustrating, but look who is running it. Brandon and Nix are proven incompetents. It really is sad.

....If the Bills run up to the podium and draft Nassib, did they really need to take the cap hit and release Fitz? The dead cap space could hurt them next year big time.

One would think that a rookie coach would have not wanted to approach year 2 with a ton of dead cap space. This team really is frustrating, but look who is running it. Brandon and Nix are proven incompetents. It really is sad.

The cap hit would have been a great deal more had they not released Fitz. They have actually given their rookie coach pretty much the best cap situation that they could have......and have also been mindful of the 2014 cap(which is predicted to be of minimal increase) so that they don't have to eject more players next year

I can go through the numbers on this if you need to see the proof of the statement.

Edited by Dibs

The cap hit would have been a great deal more had they not released Fitz. They have actually given their rookie coach pretty much the best cap situation that they could have......and have also been mindful of the 2014 cap(which is predicted to be of minimal increase) so that they don't have to eject more players next year

I can go through the numbers on this if you need to see the proof of the statement.

No, I get it, but isn't Fitz going to cost 7 million in dead cap space in 2014? I'm puzzled as to why they didn't either keep him, or absorb the hit this year.

What is amusing/sad is that what is now being done with culling the roster is basically undoing what the current GM has already done. What I don't understand is why when Brandon took over the reigns from the owner why he didn't emphatically establish a new direction and identity for the franchise by jettisoning the GM and infusing this laggard organization with some younger faces and added vigor? In my view Brandon should not in any way be involved in making any football decisons. It is like going to see a plumber when facing a serious medical issue.

With respect to Fitz it was time for him to go, no matter what the cap implicationns were. It was in his best interests as much as it was for the organizatiion for him to find another location for him to ply his trade as a backup. Is Kolb a better qb? It isn't worth haggling over the miniscule difference, one way or the other. Both are pedestrian qbs who are adequate backups at best.

No, I get it, but isn't Fitz going to cost 7 million in dead cap space in 2014? I'm puzzled as to why they didn't either keep him, or absorb the hit this year.

Yes, it will be 7m dead cap in 2014.....but that is a lot less than keeping him.....and absorbing the hit this year over having it there next year enables us to have more flexibility over the two years, and allows a greater ability to reduce the 2014 cap hit of future FAs.

Keeping Fitz:

2013: 10.45m, 2014: 10.55m, cutting him after that would still leave a 4m dead cap hit......TOTAL HIT = 25m

Cutting Fitz:

10m dead cap.....plus....depending on Kolb's contract(likely between 6.5m & 13m over 2 yrs depending if he starts).....MAX TOTAL = 23m....likely 16.5m

The cap situation is a little more complex....

For the sake of the study, I am going to allocate a 3.5m 2013 & 2014 cap hit for Kolb.

We theoretically have 15m to spend(Rookies & 3m Fitz hit already calculated) in 2013.......5m left under the cap plus 10m rollover.

In 2014(according to my calculations)......we will have around 2.5m of cap space....plus 5m rollover from 2013 = 7.5m

Total remaining cap(2013/14) = 17.5m(reduced by 5m as the same money cannot be spent twice).

If we took the entire 10m hit for Fitz in 2013.....we would see....

8m left in 2013(all rollover)

Nothing left in rollover for 2014....plus 9.5m of cap space left = 9.5m

Total remaining cap(2013/14) = 17.5m

At this point, your concerns seem very valid......as the cap space in 2014(red) is reduced by spreading the Fitz hit. The overall cap money left(purple) however is the same in both cases......but it allows us to have more ability to re-sign(mid 2013 season) the players due to be FAs in 2014(Wood, Byrd, Carrington, Chandler).....front load their contracts.....and even make more room for the 2014 cap.

Essentially, spreading the Fitz dead money over 2 years provides a greater flexibility for future cap management.

Edited by Dibs