The Kolb Poll and Ledger

Do you like the Kolb signing?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Kolb signing

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided/Not sure

Alright folks.

Less words and opinions, more facts. Here's the start of Kolb Ledger. Suggest entries for either side (plus or minus) and I'll update the ledger as I see fit.

Also please vote in the poll.

Thanks!

Plusses:

Solidifies the QB position in a worst-case scenario (if we somehow don't get another QB in draft)

Solidifies the veteran backup position (over just TJax)

Solidifies the rookie QB mentor position (over just TJax)

Didn't cost the Bills draft picks

Allows the Bills to consider not taking a QB at pick #8

Allows the Bills more freedom to trade down from #8

Sends a smokescreen to the rest of the league as to the Bills QB draft intentions

Lessens the pressure on the rookie QB

Shows the Bills are being proactive in roster building

Kolb probably fits the offense that Marrone intends to run

Minusses:

Might cause the Bills to underdraft or not draft a QB this year

Might have cost too much money

Is a lateral move or worse than Fitz

Could possibly retard the development of a rookie QB by taking away reps

Could possibly impair the team's ability to evaluate said rookie QB by taking away reps

Could cause the team to win more games in a rebuilding year, thus hurting next year's draft position

Shows the Bills don't know anything about roster building

Kolb doesn't fit the offense that Marrone intends to run

Kolb is a possible injury risk

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your points and don't completely disagree.

However any transaction can be looked at:

1) When it happens

2) When the contract details emerge

3) After free agency if over

4) After the draft has taken place

5) During the preseason

6) When you're retired 23 years from now and scratching your butt while sitting in your favorite rocker

You both get my point.

The question is whether at this moment, you think (feel, guess, hope, predict, etc) that the Kolb signing was a good move based on the information we have available to us now. In other words, based on the possible outcomes of all the variables on the ledger.

I'm not gonna debate you guys but I did want to point that out.

Is there buyer's remorse at this moment or are people happy with the purchase in their gut?

edit:

Let me put it this way (the question could also be viewed as): Based on the football acumen that we all claim to possess, do we think this transaction will turn out to be positive or negative?

I will be very surprised if the contract details are not similar to what they offered Fitz -- 3m a season with incentives up to 7m. In other words, back-up money.

I'm happy with the signing because i'm pretty sure it's not for much guaranteed money and it allows us options.

BTW, I voted "yes."

Also, I intentionally made it a private poll as my observation is that public polls tend to have a "chilling effect" on participation. Not everyone is comfortable putting their opinions out there.

As for the contract caveat, I'm guessing that with the Bills very recent history of contracts (going back approximately to Stevie Johnson, Erik Pears, Urbik, to the present) that the terms will be very acceptable to our group. Just a guess.

6.5 two years and incentives could reach 13.

just read on Gallifords rumblings

I would guess it gives us wiggle room and a sigh of relief but we will still draft a qb of choice to develop/ Now Bills can breath easier I think.

I feel better myself.

sorry for the opinioned part but i am pretty pleased at this all around.

Go Bills

6.5 two years and incentives could reach 13.

just read on Gallifords rumblings

I would guess it gives us wiggle room and a sigh of relief but we will still draft a qb of choice to develop/ Now Bills can breath easier I think.

I feel better myself.

sorry for the opinioned part but i am pretty pleased at this all around.

Go Bills

No need to apologize. Opining is fine. I'd just like to avoid conversations about what defines a journeyman, etc.

I justed wanted this thread to be a bit more focused on the Kolb acquisition.

No need to apologize. Opining is fine. I'd just like to avoid conversations about what defines a journeyman, etc.

I justed wanted this thread to be a bit more focused on the Kolb acquisition.

I am interested in the details that will be presented from the folks who Know things. ! :thumbsup:

I like the signing in terms of what it represents rather than Kolb's abilities as a starter. This signing means that we won't be putting all the chips on a rookie QB and all the pressure that entails. It means that there will be a real battle for the starting position, be it a two way battle with TJax or a three way battle including a rookie.

Last but not least, hopefully (there goes that word again) they're being pro-active towards the most important position in football and that they will not rest until they find a franchise QB.

I am interested in the details that will be presented from the folks who Know things. ! :thumbsup:

The Bills are notorious for not releasing these things like actual numbers. The first word on the signing almost for sure came from the agent, which would explain the 13m figure with the "max" slipped in. The real numbers probably won't come out until the contract is filed and approved by the NFL. That is when the reporters will gain access to the real thing, which will likely be sometime this coming week.

I love this signing ...

I'm not particularly a Kolb fan, but I feel he would be an adaquite bridge should the QB we want not be available when we draft allowing us to draft a "project" this year, and a "franchise guy" next year if one becomes available. My biggest worry about this upcoming draft was that I didn't see a QB that was worthty of a number 8 pick (I don't know if OBD likes one there or not) .... and felt our second round just may be too late to get somebody we may really want, and the Bills being so depleted at the QB position were going to be forced to pull the trigger fo a QB at pick 8 whoever was there.

Now if there is a guy we covet at the top of the QB class (worthy of pick 8) and he is gone, we can go "best player available" and fill one of our other big holes.

IMHO .... this signing says we are going to draft our QB out of whoever we feel is the best available at our round 2 pick ... and my crystal ball based on a total lack of any valid facts or insider information says it will be Nassib.

I like the signing in terms of what it represents rather than Kolb's abilities as a starter. This signing means that we won't be putting all the chips on a rookie QB and all the pressure that entails. It means that there will be a real battle for the starting position, be it a two way battle with TJax or a three way battle including a rookie.

Last but not least, hopefully (there goes that word again) they're being pro-active towards the most important position in football and that they will not rest until they find a franchise QB.

You raise several good points that I'm gonna add to the ledger. Thanks.

IMHO .... this signing says we are going to draft our QB out of whoever we feel is the best available at our round 2 pick ... and my crystal ball based on a total lack of any valid facts or insider information says it will be Nassib.

A few others are thinking along with you on this.

It's risky business though if it's only one guy they have targeted. Waiting until 41 certainly works better if there are a few guys the Bills like at QB.

I agree with your take.

I understand your points and don't completely disagree.

The question is whether at this moment, you think (feel, guess, hope, predict, etc) that the Kolb signing was a good move based on the information we have available to us now. In other words, based on the possible outcomes of all the variables on the ledger.

I'm not gonna debate you guys but I did want to point that out.

Is there buyer's remorse at this moment or are people happy with the purchase in their gut?

edit:

Let me put it this way (the question could also be viewed as): Based on the football acumen that we all claim to possess, do we think this transaction will turn out to be positive or negative?

For me, if the contract shows that it is half incentives......then that means we have drafted him to be a backup.....which I am happy with.

If the contract shows it to be a solid 6m/year type deal.....then that means we have tried to either get a cheap crappy starter....or we have a very pricey backup. Either way I won't be happy with that.

Like I said, the contract will determine if this was a good thing or not.....at least for me that is.

Sadly, I've seen many of these Bills QB competitions in 15 seasons :0/

For me, if the contract shows that it is half incentives......then that means we have drafted him to be a backup.....which I am happy with.

If the contract shows it to be a solid 6m/year type deal.....then that means we have tried to either get a cheap crappy starter....or we have a very pricey backup. Either way I won't be happy with that.

Like I said, the contract will determine if this was a good thing or not.....at least for me that is.

Understand completely. Legit point for sure.

And Hopeful's point about whether they draft a QB is also legit.

This Kolb acquisiton only works for me if the Bills draft a QB no later than at 41.

I like the move because I believe the Bills intend on drafting a QB no later than 41.

Hope I'm right.