The Kolb Poll and Ledger

Do you like the Kolb signing?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Kolb signing

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided/Not sure

At this point, your concerns seem very valid......as the cap space in 2014(red) is reduced by spreading the Fitz hit. The overall cap money left(purple) however is the same in both cases......but it allows us to have more ability to re-sign(mid 2013 season) the players due to be FAs in 2014(Wood, Byrd, Carrington, Chandler).....front load their contracts.....and even make more room for the 2014 cap.

Essentially, spreading the Fitz dead money over 2 years provides a greater flexibility for future cap management.

OK, this makes sense. But whether or not cutting Fitz this season (in terms of cap space) was a good move would seem to be predicated on whether or not they are able to restructure at least some of the players that you listed. Generally speaking, dead cap space is a killer.

I cannot think of many players that the Bills could release after this season to create cap space, can you? Even cutting Fred Jackson wouldn't seem to be a big cap savings.

I can see how managing the cap would be a full time job.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this makes sense. But whether or not cutting Fitz this season (in terms of cap space) was a good move would seem to be predicated on whether or not they are able to restructure at least some of the players that you listed. Generally speaking, dead cap space is a killer.

I cannot think of many players that the Bills could release after this season to create cap space, can you? Even cutting Fred Jackson wouldn't seem to be a big cap savings.

I can see how managing the cap would be a full time job.

There really isn't many at all.....which I believe is one of the reasons that the Bills have been very frugal with money this off-season.

Brad Smith is the obvious choice. If we can't figure out how to get value out of him this year then I would say he gets cut.

3.5m saved......0.5m dead.

Erik Pears: I would need somebody like yourself to assess his situation....but....

2.9m saved......0.55m dead

Other possibilities based upon 2014 performance might be.....

Kyle Williams: 3.9m saved......1.9m dead.

Mark Anderson: 2.9m saved......3m dead.

Aaron Williams: 1.1m saved......0.6m dead.

Very few players(if any) can be cut for cap space reasons in 2014.

kolb and tj might be a better depth chart than fitz and thiggy but thats not bc kolb is much of an upgrade over fitz. its bc pigpen should never start for an nfl team ever and at least tj is a bottom tier starter

i just dont see kolb as an immediate upgrade over fitz. kolb is statistically inferior in almost every way to fitz. the only edge you can give kolb is he isnt horrible on long ball accuracy, hasnt thrown as many picks, and he still technically has upside that might not have shown yet. fitz is probably not going to change his spots at this point, but at least hes a legit bottom third starter that generates offense and touchdowns. kolb is probably in that same class right now, so to make him some kind of automatic upgrade seems silly to me

you could make the case the bills should have just kept fitz, but for multiple reasons i can see why a change was better. they will likely end up spending the same money overall to have kolb instead, so why not go for the guy that might still emerge as a somewhat late bloomer into studhood. unlikely but still more likely than fitz suddenly becoming that top half plus qb you need to contend