Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he's a moron and off-field problem waiting to happen, and he's coming off an Achilles' tear. Bring him in!

Can Fred Davis Play? -I think so, yes.

However, given his injury history, I wouldn't consider this an IMPACT signing AT ALL. Seems like more Bargain-basement, swap-meet, talent courtesy of Buddy Nix.

When Buddy finally gives up on the GM thing, he has a promising career as a dumpster-diver awaiting him in Alabama.

You're a Shmuck, Buddy!

-But we make the playoffs in '13! (despite your frightening incompetence.)

Edited by #34fan

Uncertain? Didn't he tear his ACL ~ game 7 last year?

According to this review only ~ 2/3 of players are able to return, and those that do take an average of 11 mos and play at a lower level, 50% lower power rating (however the author is measuring that).

We need a TE, but does it really help us to have 2 TE who may not be ready for training camp/1st game? Or to stock our roster with players who are iffy to return from what is often a career-limiting injury (Merriman, now maybe Davis)?

Good grief someone I agree with. Plus his drug and legal problems, this is so wrong. Just give me a draft pick TE

I would prefer it was tomorrow but I like the fact they are bringing him in. Obviously the Bills feel they have a good chance at him. He and his agent could easily be playing the Bills trying to get the Redskins to up their offer.

The thing is though, this stuff happens all the time, and the players and agents don't know until it happens what team A and what team B is going to offer and/or match. Davis could really want to stay with the Skins because he likes it there, and is just TRYING to get the Skins to meet the Bills offer. But they very well may not, or may not have the cap space to.

I don't expect it to be a huge offer. All I am saying is that he could really want to use the Bills to get the Skins to up their offer, and end up signing with the Bills because it's simply a better all around deal for him. That's not really a prediction as much as a very possible scenario.

Good grief someone I agree with. Plus his drug and legal problems, this is so wrong. Just give me a draft pick TE

Ertz, Kelce, Eifert, Escobar... Plus a bunch more talented draft picks I can't think of off the top of my head. There's no shortage of talented TE prospects!

Sure, no GM is aware of EVERYTHING happening in the league. Still, Buddy seems to purposely CHOOSE ignorance every chance he gets. :lol:

But hey.... GOOOO BILLS!

Edited by #34fan

His visit seems somewhat strange to me. I'm fairly certain that the USC Pro Day is on Wednesday, you'd imagine our higher ups would be in Southern Cal in full force considering we've done the same for most of the other top-ranked QBs pro days.

We must hate Barkley.

Sure, no GM is aware of EVERYTHING happening in the league. Still, Buddy seems to purposely CHOOSE ignorance every chance he gets. :lol:

Yep, ignorance is bliss: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2013&position=7

With Rosenhaus as his agent, he'd be a tough 'get' for the Bills. He might be a prime candidate to sign one of those one-year 'prove it' type contracts that would set him up him up for a big payday in 2014 if he has a good year...

His visit seems somewhat strange to me. I'm fairly certain that the USC Pro Day is on Wednesday, you'd imagine our higher ups would be in Southern Cal in full force considering we've done the same for most of the other top-ranked QBs pro days.

We must hate Barkley.

So a week ago we were skewering Buddy for being on the road and not hosting FA's. Now we don't like him hosting a FA. Awesome!

Yep, ignorance is bliss: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2013&position=7

With Rosenhaus as his agent, he'd be a tough 'get' for the Bills. He might be a prime candidate to sign one of those one-year 'prove it' type contracts that would set him up him up for a big payday in 2014 if he has a good year...

Why does Rosenhaus make him a tough get? I have read in numerous places in the past that Rosenhaus and the Bills have a good working relationship

Chandler is the best TE we have had in Buffalo for a long time, but would you argue he's a top TE in the league? I would say he's mid-tier myself

Well, he is mid tier. But it isn't a big need for us like we have at OG, LB, or QB. We have someone that can play the position. he just isn't going to be healthy to play the begining of the year. Though there is a concern that he might be prone to injury now, though that might be premature. Still, if we only put modest resources into tight end this offseason, we should be ok at the position.

If they can upgrade the postion, great. But I would much rather them use their resources to take care of the holes on this where we don't even have bodies to even stand in the position.

Fred Davis has allegedly been medically cleared. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/fred-davis-gets-medical-clearance/. With injuries and football in general, there's always a risk so take one with a big upside. When healthy this guy can stretch the field as well as any TE in the game which is a dimension we don't have (though you can argue that TJ Graham already provides us with that skill and as an added bonus he also is great at dropping passes!). He's a top 10 TE who has the talent to be even better. People should be thankful the Bills are going after him instead of Chris.Cooley, Dallas Clark or Travis Beckum, etc... He's a 1st tier FA. Settle down, folks!

PS. It also frees up a draft pick for another position. And this guy is young so he could be here for years, he's not a one or two year rental.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

Chandler is the best TE we have had in Buffalo for a long time, but would you argue he's a top TE in the league? I would say he's mid-tier myself

Being the best te in Buffalo in a while aint sayin much cuz there hasn't been a legiimate on since Reimersma. Chandler Mid tier? I'd say more realistically bottom third. He doesn't stretch the field. There isn't a LB in the league that can't run with him. His only redeeming value is that he can block and because of his height he provides a target in the redzone.