Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

Could just as easily say Washington hasn't told him what he wants yet and we are getting used. You just never know what's behind the scenes from a fan perspective

True. I said this elsewhere, but I genuinely believe a lot of times teams are "being used" AND there is genuine interest at the same time. If I had to guess, Fred Davis is "using" the Bills to get the Redskins to up their offer, hoping to re-sign with the Skins. He made it clear he would like that, although he also said he would play anywhere.

But the Skins may not want to pay him as much as he wants, or may not have the cap room to. So he could be using the Bills to up the offer, but then want to take the Bills offer. The agent and player often don't know any more than we do how high a team will go for a player like Davis, nor do we know what Davis and his agent think is TOO LOW to re-sign with Washington is.

I liken this to the Tyson Clabo situation that I think 90% of Bills fans completely misread. Clabo was indeed using the Bills to up the Falcons offer. But he was also very offended by the Falcons offer, and very likely could have and would have taken the Bills offer if the Falcons didn't up theirs at the last minute. Then he was faced with a decision. Was the Falcons offer, which still wasn't what he wanted, enough to get him to stay where he was from, and wanted to be, and where his family was and wanted to be. And ultimately he decided yes, it was just enough. If their offer was any less, or especially if it was significantly less, he likely would have been a Bill.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I said this elsewhere, but I genuinely believe a lot of times teams are "being used" AND there is genuine interest at the same time. If I had to guess, Fred Davis is "using" the Bills to get the Redskins to up their offer, hoping to re-sign with the Skins. He made it clear he would like that, although he also said he would play anywhere.

But the Skins may not want to pay him as much as he wants, or may not have the cap room to. So he could be using the Bills to up the offer, but then want to take the Bills offer. The agent and player often don't know any more than we do how high a team will go for a player like Davis, nor do we know what Davis and his agent think is TOO LOW to re-sign with Washington is.

I liken this to the Tyson Clabo situation that I think 90% of Bills fans completely misread. Clabo was indeed using the Bills to up the Falcons offer. But he was also very offended by the Falcons offer, and very likely could have and would have taken the Bills offer if the Falcons didn't up theirs at the last minute. Then he was faced with a decision. Was the Falcons offer, which still wasn't what he wanted, enough to get him to stay where he was from, and wanted to be, and where his family was and wanted to be. And ultimately he decided yes, it was just enough. If their offer was any less, or especially if it was significantly less, he likely would have been a Bill.

Heck, we could be using him to try to lock in chandler. "Better sign quick or we will try to replace you and you'll be hitting free agency as a backup with a bum knee"

Albeit it less likely - Just never know.

Edited by NoSaint

I liked what I read about Myers, too, and wanted the Bills to bring him in, but didn't really see him that much. The fact that he got very little interest in FA and then signed a one year deal for that money should tell you something. His "prove it" season was last year and he did pretty well. Teams just didn't think he was all that good.

Yeah I was banging the drum for Myers.

BTW, it was recently disclosed that he played the entire 2012 season with a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5413/brandon-myers

Is Davis really that much in demand that the Bills sent a small army to Washington to wine and dine him?

http://www.pro-footb.../D/DaviFr01.htm

As others posted upthread, they might have had other business in the area.

Could just as easily say Washington hasn't told him what he wants yet and we are getting used. You just never know what's behind the scenes from a fan perspective

I hear you. But the fact that it went from a meeting to now a visit, that sounds more like sincere interest.

I know he could be playing the Bills but i am sure numbers were discussed already. His agent left the meeting and called the Skins and told them what type of numbers the Bills are offering. The Skins probably are waiting now to see if the Bills trainers ok him and then the agent will make one last phone call back to the Skins with the Bills offer. It is then up to the Skins to come close or he probably signs with the Bills. Kind of how i see it playing out.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Where is the moral police?

1.) Fred Davis threw a bottle at a "Pimpette" and his Birthday party and represented himself in the court case.

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a3a46b/

2.) He has 28 speeding tickets since 2008

3.) He smoked marijuana during the regular season! This is just plain dumb. Smoke week in Feb-April. Lay off for 4 months during the season atleast.

His actions are one who clearly has no respect for others and thinks they are above the law.

Big Ben banged a drunken co-ed with a nametag that read "down to !@#$" in a bathroom stall and this board erupts and no one would trade a 7th round pick for him. Fred Davis has a history of being a complete idiot with constant legal trouble and this board is lined up to sign him.

The more I think about this the more I love the idea of signing Davis.

Another poster in this thread nailed it when he said a good TE is a great weapon for a rookie QB to lean on.

I hope this works out.

We will know tomorrow

CBF

I do too... and I still submit that your avatar pic is still the best I have ever seen...

I hear you. But the fact that it went from a meeting to now a visit, that sounds more like sincere interest.

I know he could be playing the Bills but i am sure numbers were discussed already. His agent left the meeting and called the Skins and told them what type of numbers the Bills are offering. The Skins probably are waiting now to see if the Bills trainers ok him and then the agent will make one last phone call back to the Skins with the Bills offer. It is then up to the Skins to come close or he probably signs with the Bills. Kind of how i see it playing out.

The Skins have close to zero cap room at this point. Unlikley to sign there unless no one else is interested.

I do too... and I still submit that your avatar pic is still the best I have ever seen...

Thank you very much!

I stand 100% behind it! Dont get me started on how much I hate the Bills playing away I mean home games in Toronto.

Leave the Bills games in Buffalo where they belong!

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan

The bills can never have enough IR players on the payroll :thumbdown:

Think of him as a replacement for Merriman in that respect, albeit he plays on the other side of the ball, but nonetheless some here teared up at SM's retirement.

Where is the moral police?

1.) Fred Davis threw a bottle at a "Pimpette" and his Birthday party and represented himself in the court case.

http://m.nfl.com/new...000d5d82a3a46b/

2.) He has 28 speeding tickets since 2008

3.) He smoked marijuana during the regular season! This is just plain dumb. Smoke week in Feb-April. Lay off for 4 months during the season atleast.

His actions are one who clearly has no respect for others and thinks they are above the law.

Big Ben banged a drunken co-ed with a nametag that read "down to !@#$" in a bathroom stall and this board erupts and no one would trade a 7th round pick for him. Fred Davis has a history of being a complete idiot with constant legal trouble and this board is lined up to sign him.

eh.. wouldn't say immoral on that count... immature more like. she threw a drink in his face first and was dripping with pineapple juice and vodka or whatever. should have let it go, obviously, but said he was "embarrassed" and tossed the drink on her back, and the [plastic, i think] containter came out of his hand. dumb.

marijuana, yep, dumb.. but also claims he got tested 3 weeks in a row, accounting for the "multiple" failed tests that led to the suspension. possible.

29 tickets, but 9 for speeding. not that the rest are better.. "The majority of the tickets are for speeding—nine. He has also been cited for failure to pay tolls (five), operating a vehicle with improper window tinting (three), failure to stop/yield entering a highway, improper display of license plates and false identity of self to a law enforcement officer."

anyways, yes.. it seems he IS quite dumb. dumber than i originally thought. hope someone warns him not to drive through Kenmore.

anyways, yes.. it seems he IS quite dumb. dumber than i originally thought. hope someone warns him not to drive through Kenmore.

Stupid is as stupid does so it's hard to argue that.

However my takeaway from his NFL Network interview was different than some of the critiques upthread.

You could see he was very well-spoken and had a quick humorous retort on numerous occasions. He also wouldn't allow himself to be trapped into a line of questioning about the things he does well or the players he thinks he's better than.

I think that Davis has a high natural intelligence but has made lots of stupid decisions. Lack of common sense?

@AdamSchefter: Redskins TE Fred Davis dined last night in Washington with Bills HC Doug Marrone, GM Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley and other Bills officials.

This would be a good move if we can sign him. If healthy he has some upside

Just like Nix and the Bills, let all the young promising TE's sign elsewhere, and go for a guy with all the talent in the world, but can't stay healthy (or awake) and is one toke away from a long suspension? We obviously need a TE, but the same people who are supporting this move, at least many of them, are the same ones who said something like "They had to trade Marshawn Lynch, he is one strike away from a long suspension." Well, so is Davis, not to mention he is coming off of an achilles injury and can't even run yet. Edited by BuffBill

eh.. wouldn't say immoral on that count... immature more like. she threw a drink in his face first and was dripping with pineapple juice and vodka or whatever. should have let it go, obviously, but said he was "embarrassed" and tossed the drink on her back, and the [plastic, i think] containter came out of his hand. dumb.

marijuana, yep, dumb.. but also claims he got tested 3 weeks in a row, accounting for the "multiple" failed tests that led to the suspension. possible.

29 tickets, but 9 for speeding. not that the rest are better.. "The majority of the tickets are for speeding—nine. He has also been cited for failure to pay tolls (five), operating a vehicle with improper window tinting (three), failure to stop/yield entering a highway, improper display of license plates and false identity of self to a law enforcement officer."

The great part is he represents himself in court and says he didn't throw the bottle but there is video!

Halfway through the video you see he clearly pours the bottle on her then pulls it back then throws it.

http://www.washingto...e-nightclub.php

It was Clintonian word play.

“I didn’t throw the bottle—the bottle came out of my hand,” he testified.

“I released it, I didn’t throw it.”

“I didn’t throw it at her. Period.”

Again he clearly thinks he can do whatever he wants even with video evidence of his actions.

Where ever he goes whatever team it is, he has an almost certain chance of getting in legal trouble again.

Next time the NFL will enact the personal conduct rule and he will be missing games. It is almost a certainty.

Stupid is as stupid does so it's hard to argue that.

However my takeaway from his NFL Network interview was different than some of the critiques upthread.

You could see he was very well-spoken and had a quick humorous retort on numerous occasions. He also wouldn't allow himself to be trapped into a line of questioning about the things he does well or the players he thinks he's better than.

I think that Davis has a high natural intelligence but has made lots of stupid decisions. Lack of common sense?

I believe it is more like a god complex. He knows it is wrong but believes he is above the law. Which is a huge red flag for me. If the Bills sign him, 1.) He will bring other players down with him. i.e. Trent Williams. 2.) He will not be allowed to play 16 games by Goodell

(9/10 times I think most of these personal issues by the young men in the NFL are blown out of proportion, in this case you have a clear pattern of knuckleheadeness that has no indication of ending)

Edited by Why So Serious?

The great part is he represents himself in court and says he didn't throw the bottle but there is video!

Halfway through the video you see he clearly pours the bottle on her then pulls it back then throws it.

http://www.washingto...e-nightclub.php

It was Clintonian word play.

“I didn’t throw the bottle—the bottle came out of my hand,” he testified.

“I released it, I didn’t throw it.”

“I didn’t throw it at her. Period.”

Again he clearly thinks he can do whatever he wants even with video evidence of his actions.

Where ever he goes whatever team it is, he has an almost certain chance of getting in legal trouble again.

Next time the NFL will enact the personal conduct rule and he will be missing games. It is almost a certainty.

I believe it is more like a god complex. He knows it is wrong but believes he is above the law. Which is a huge red flag for me. If the Bills sign him, 1.) He will bring other players down with him. i.e. Trent Williams. 2.) He will not be allowed to play 16 games by Goodell

Don't forget his rookie season, while not against the law, he couldn't wake up to make it to practice.