what kills me most about the past 3 years

How the Buffalo Bills managed to not draft a franchise QB in any of those drafts. Most teams in the NFL are stockpiling QBs. (Seattle, New England, Minnesota, San Francisco, Denver, [side note: Denver had Tim Tebow then picked up Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow already took them to the second round of the playoffs, which is far far more than ANY Bills QB over the passed 12 years has done for us]) Buddy Nix absolutely needs to be gone. How somebody can be so dull in free agency and also over the passed 3 years fails to draft ANYBODY that could take over this team is beyond ridiculous. If any of us failed at our jobs the way Buddy has over the last 3 years we'd be gone! The Patriots have Tom Brady and looks like they will have Tom Brady for the foreseeable future and they still drafted Ryan Mallett in the third round. Not because they needed him, but because HE SHOULDN'T HAVE STILL BEEN THERE IN THE THIRD ROUND! Granted the Bills took Kelvin Shepherd with that pick but given the current state of our linebacker situation I think I would have rather had a POTENTIAL franchise QB than 1 decent linebacker. I say potential because he has never had the chance in New England. Bud I digress. I could go on with similar situation in Seattle (Matt Flynn, Tavaris Jackson, then they draft Russell Wilson). San Francisco (Alex Smith, then they draft Colin Kaepernick[side note again: which if I'm not mistaken was a second round pick after we took Aaron Williams]).

tl;dr; FIRE BUDDY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes far beyond Nix. Here's the complete Bills' QB draft history for the past 25 years:

Levi Brown (2010, 7th round)

Trent Edwards (2007, 3rd round)

J.P. Losman (2004, 1st round)

Todd Collins (1995, 2nd round)

Matt Rodgers (1992, 12th round)

3 legit picks in 25 years spent on the QB position. You do the math.

I have no idea why Nix is still GM. Things are getting worse, not better entering his 4th year in charge.

I totally agree. Him, Chan and Fitz should have been a package deal out of town. Why he is still here is evidence that this franchise lacks a real desire to compete.

It goes far beyond Nix. Here's the complete Bills' QB draft history for the past 25 years:

Levi Brown (2010, 7th round)

Trent Edwards (2007, 3rd round)

J.P. Losman (2004, 1st round)

Todd Collins (1995, 2nd round)

Matt Rodgers (1992, 12th round)

3 legit picks in 25 years spent on the QB position. You do the math.

Which 3??

The Buffalo Bills should draft a QB every year, maybe two until they find a franchise guy. Literaly make it a numbers game where GM ineptness, owner unput and the curse on the Bills QB position cannot stand in the way....lol

How the Buffalo Bills managed to not draft a franchise QB in any of those drafts. Most teams in the NFL are stockpiling QBs. (Seattle, New England, Minnesota, San Francisco, Denver, [side note: Denver had Tim Tebow then picked up Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow already took them to the second round of the playoffs, which is far far more than ANY Bills QB over the passed 12 years has done for us]) Buddy Nix absolutely needs to be gone. How somebody can be so dull in free agency and also over the passed 3 years fails to draft ANYBODY that could take over this team is beyond ridiculous. If any of us failed at our jobs the way Buddy has over the last 3 years we'd be gone! The Patriots have Tom Brady and looks like they will have Tom Brady for the foreseeable future and they still drafted Ryan Mallett in the third round. Not because they needed him, but because HE SHOULDN'T HAVE STILL BEEN THERE IN THE THIRD ROUND! Granted the Bills took Kelvin Shepherd with that pick but given the current state of our linebacker situation I think I would have rather had a POTENTIAL franchise QB than 1 decent linebacker. I say potential because he has never had the chance in New England. Bud I digress. I could go on with similar situation in Seattle (Matt Flynn, Tavaris Jackson, then they draft Russell Wilson). San Francisco (Alex Smith, then they draft Colin Kaepernick[side note again: which if I'm not mistaken was a second round pick after we took Aaron Williams]).

tl;dr; FIRE BUDDY

Those teams you have identified as stockpiling QB's are much smarter than the Bills. They can recognize talent in the QB position and the importance of having a good QB. Nix has never built a team let alone a winner. He should be out of here already but the Bills are slow to recognize incompetence. Let's not forget Brandon's role in this as well. He needs to pull the trigger on letting Nix go or should be relieved of his responsibilities as well. We have not been any good since he has been in the picture.

Edited by VADC Bills

The Buffalo Bills should draft a QB every year, maybe two until they find a franchise guy. Literaly make it a numbers game where GM ineptness, owner unput and the curse on the Bills QB position cannot stand in the way....lol

If you have a young franchise QB you should still draft a QB in rounds 5-7 virtually every year.

If you have an aging franchise QB you should draft a QB in rounds 1-4 depending on other needs and the QBs available.

If you do not have a franchise QB on your roster you should draft one 7th round QB every three years.

No the basic problem with the Bills over the years is that they can't self-scout and evaluate their own talent- another problem with the Bills is Ralph just wants to be competitive thus a team that hangs around 500 to me a team should be in one of three modes

1. blow it up mode, where you are getting rid of older and expensive talent and hopefully are stock piling draft picks, and of course stealing from practice squads

2. rebuilding mode, you have sucked pretty bad for two years but have a young talented core of players including a QB - you are no longer drafting in the top 5 and position takes a slightly higher priority over strictly BPA- you are selectively using FA looking for value and youth. you selectively extend a few players

3. Go for it mode - you're a pretty good team with a nice young core including 3 or 4 pro-bowl guys, maybe you made it to the playoffs - salary cap numbers are still good - this is where you consider a higher priced FA or an older FA who only has a couple years of quality play left- this where you move up in the draft for that one player you think might take you over the top.

If you are the Bills you are making PR moves to sell tickets

I like Nix. I think he's done a good job of bringing in certain types of talent. Yet, I know if he were on another team, or if I were objective, I'd consider a few things inexcusable:

As the original post suggested - the reluctance to bring in a rookie QB over the last 3 years is very hard to forgive. At best a GM might say, "I've been building the foundation, so that I can put a rookie into a winning situation, and have success right away." Buddy can't really say that, though. In his time we've seen a coaching staff come in, fail, and not grow. Now we've got a secod staff and it's not exactly, but almost like we're right where we were 3 years ago - except there's bigger, faster, better talent on the team in places.

Another failure: the lack of an identity that would influence the team's decisions and provide direction and the ability to grow. We've seen the defense go from a 4-3 to a 3-4, then back, and now in between. I like Pettine, but that previous jumping back and forth made aquiring talent capable of excelling in A SYSTEM, rather than just a good athlete, difficult. Now we have questions as to player fits on the D-line, our LB'ing corps is virtually gone, and our secondary is not right yet.

Being bad perpetually, without using the benefits of losing to help pull out of losing, is also inexcusable, and probably the worst of all the faults, as far as we the fans are concerned. A keen executive, smart and bold enough, would have somewhere in the past looked over the Bills team and decided to gut it, let it lose while bringing in waves of young talent - unearthing some jewels there, and getting a high enough draft pick to get the QB without whom winning in the NFL is almost impossible. Continually winning just enough to lose out on the picks we need is unforgivable.

Nix's lack of desire or ability to fashion trades, to move around, to shake things up, to take risks - all is hard to accept, too.

And, I don't think Nix gets into restructuring, or extending contracts when he should - failing to use his leverage while he's got it.

Nevertheless, and despite all these factors, Nix could still turn things around this year. He's got glaring holes at WR, LB, TE, and QB, not to mention secondary and G. If he comes away from the draft with 3 or 4 starters, and gets a couple UDFA talents, and maybe brings in another FA CB, WR, or LB, he COULD give the Bills enough talent to challenge for a playoff spot this year. There's a lot of talent out there, and the less the Bills do in FA, the more apt I am to think they believe they can get starters out of the draft even in the mid rounds.

Which 3??

He probably means the 3 that ended up being below average starters for us for a couple of years before we dumped them in the trash heap where they belong

tl;dr; FIRE BUDDY

You forgot to mention how Washington got not 1 but possibly 2 franchise QB's in last year's draft! And like you said, we haven't even had 1 guy since Jimbo (who at first didn't even want to playfor us)