what kills me most about the past 3 years

I'd say it is a bit early to label either of Washington's QBs as "franchise" QBs just yet. And they did spend 4 picks (3 first rounders) to secure these two QBs. Very risky. RG3 looks like the real deal if he can stay healthy and Cousins looks like a solid backup. Time will tell.

He said "possibly" so he hadn't actually applied the label yet.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy is the only one who adheres to this plan of build up the lines and insert QB at the end. No other team in the NFL does this.

Yeah? Hows it working out for the Browns (Weeden), Titans (Locker), Jags (Gabbert), Vikes (Pounder), Panthers (Classen), Raiders (Russell) and Browns again (Quinn)?

Other than the lightning strikes (Kap and Wilson), the only success stories I see are the Falcons (Ryan) and Ravens (Flacco). Maybe throw in the Bengals (Dalton), although the jury is still out there. Even Newton had some flies exposed this year on a mediocre Carolina team as did Bradford in St. Louis.

Must be nice to be an All Pro cynic, 'tho...

Edited by Lurker

I completely agree with the original post and it pains me to say it.....before I get started on my rant I would like to let you all know that ive been following this site for probably 10 years and ive been a bills fan since I was a kid and im 33 now.....the bills have never sold out to being on one side of the fence or the other and what I mean by that is....when we are close to being a playoff contender they wont add the needed pieces and when we need to start over they wont blow the team up.......please don't reference last years Mario signing as making power moves to go to the playoffs......was signing Mario a good move???? hell yes but hes just one frigging player......and our current gm is one of our biggest problems and is just another swing and a miss for this organization.....what kind of gm says before the draft even starts that hes not the kind of gm that likes to move all over the board.......a statement like this just screams of his ineptitude.....to say that before the draft is a huge red flag......we have proven over the years that at best were an average drafting team but in most cases far below average BUT the bills are going to rebuild through the draft......Lets just say that Buddy steps outside of himself and hits a homerun on all 6 picks this year.......that's still just 6 players people on a team that has holes on both sides of the ball......its time for the bills to get a free thinker in here that's willing to use all the resources available to take this team to the next level and sorry buddy is just one of the problems but hes a good place to start.....but to end on a positive note.....our new head coach seems to be a breath of fresh air and thats the 1st time in a long time ive felt that way about any of the head coaches over here....lets just hope they give him the backing and the resources to git er done.

Edited by natedawg3535

Yeah? Hows it working out for the Browns (Weeden), Titans (Locker), Jags (Gabbert), Vikes (Pounder), Panthers (Classen), Raiders (Russell) and Browns again (Quinn)?

Other than the lightning strikes (Kap and Wilson), the only success stories I see are the Falcons (Ryan) and Ravens (Flacco). Maybe throw in the Bengals (Dalton), although the jury is still out there. Even Newton had some flies exposed this year on a mediocre Carolina team as did Bradford in St. Louis.

Must be nice to be an All Pro cynic, 'tho...

Considering the Browns, Jags, Panthers, and Raiders all replaced the GM's, I don't think the comparisons carry weight.

And are we allowed to be cynical when the team wins 1/3 of their games, or are we just not good fans for wanting more? You tell me.

Considering the Browns, Jags, Panthers, and Raiders all replaced the GM's, I don't think the comparisons carry weight.

And are we allowed to be cynical when the team wins 1/3 of their games, or are we just not good fans for wanting more? You tell me.

Well, there you go again (sorry, Ronnie, don't roll over in your grave).

You said everyone but Buddy follows the path of "QB first, then talent acquisition." Now you're modifying it to "QB first, only when it works out, then talent acquisition." Nice.

The moment drafting an NFL QB becomes a 90%+ certainty, you be sure to let us know...

Well, there you go again (sorry, Ronnie, don't roll over in your grave).

You said everyone but Buddy follows the path of "QB first, then talent acquisition." Now you're modifying it to "QB first, only when it works out, then talent acquisition." Nice.

The moment drafting an NFL QB becomes a 90%+ certainty, you be sure to let us know...

Let's be clear. You're citing severely flawed franchises, most of which are drafting top 10 this year, to illustrate Buddy isn't alone in his ineptness? In other words, other bad teams really do what Buddy does, therefore Buddy isn't wrong. Outstanding.

And BTW, you didn't answer my question, choosing to hide behind merely conflating the argument. Are we allowed to be cynical when the team team wins only 1/3 of their games? Do tell. I need someone to define my fan-hood for me.

Are we allowed to be cynical when the team team wins only 1/3 of their games? Do tell. I need someone to define my fan-hood for me.

By all means, revel in your disgust with the Bills and continue to spend time bitching about it here!! I'd never deny you that pleasure. :lol:

I'll even agree with you that the Bills have been, are now, and will continue to be a dysfunctional franchise under Ralph's ownership. Negative post after negative post won't change that, however.

IMO, Buddy's plan was a sound one at the time and only 20/20 hindsight makes the 2010 and 2011 decisions look like more in a long line of failed plans. You disagree. Fine.

But who, given where they were drafting in those years, should Nix have taken as his franchise QB? Tebow (25th) or Clausen (48th) in 2010? Locker (8th), Gabbert (10th), Ponder (12th), Dalton (35th) or Kaepernick (36th) in 2011 (and don't say everybody knew Kap would be a star, so Buddy must be a dunce)? Weeden (22nd) in 2012 (Wilson at pick 75 is another 20/20 hindsight guy who benefited from the solid team that surrounded him, IMO)? Who did Buddy pass on that would have been a franchise guy in Buffalo from those three drafts?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/QB-1980-now.htm

Edited by Lurker

Buddy is the only one who adheres to this plan of build up the lines and insert QB at the end. No other team in the NFL does this. And given that QB's are set up for success better than at any other time in NFL history with PI and roughness liberally called, it makes no sense.

The greatest force multiplier on any team is the QB and with that in mind, you get the guy first and, perhaps simultaneously, build the OL. Atlanta did it drafting Matt Ryan and trading up to get his LT. That's how a real GM operates.

Buddy's plan has been a flip-flopping horror show. On defense he tried to convert to a 3-4 without the pieces, wasted resources building it, then scrapped that scheme for a 4-3 only 2 years later. He signed core players to contracts like Fitzpatrick and Kelsay who are now gone.

Frankly, no one cares about buzz, and it was Buddy himself in that infamous press conference back in early 2010 who said show me the baby. Well, this has to be the longest pregnancy on record.

Actually, the Colts drafted LT Takik Glenn and RT Adam Meadows in rounds 1 and 2 the year prior to selecting Peyton Manning. The year before that, they took Marvin Harrison in round 1. Setting up an offense before drafting a qb is possible and can work. The problem is that Buddy passed over QBs to draft Aaron Williams.

This was simply a replay of long term stupidity, and it may happen again. They might draft Milliner at #8, but I doubt it. If Vegas was giving odds, I would bet on Nassib going to the Bills, whether or not he is any good, And btw I have no idea if he can or cannot play well in the NFL, but he will sell some tickets.

There were 4 franchise qb's in the last three years to come out of college.

luck

RG

Russell Wilson

Kap

We had zero shot at Luck or RG. Everyone missed on Russell Wilson several times over. Kap was the only guy we should have had, which 31 other teams are saying right now. That could have changed Nix's legacy. From all indications, Chan loved Kap, but Buddy has always loved corners and Aaron Williams was a beast in college so they made the mistake of picking him with Kap still on the board.

I wouldn't fire him because of that though. I'd fire him for signing Fitz to a huge contract when we were on a winning streak instead of waiting for the season to play out to at least ten games. That was a joke of a move and we're paying for it still.

By all means, revel in your disgust with the Bills and continue to spend time bitching about it here!! I'd never deny you that pleasure. :lol:

I'll even agree with you that the Bills have been, are now, and will continue to be a dysfunctional franchise under Ralph's ownership. Negative post after negative post won't change that, however.

IMO, Buddy's plan was a sound one at the time and only 20/20 hindsight makes the 2010 and 2011 decisions look like more in a long line of failed plans. You disagree. Fine.

But who, given where they were drafting in those years, should Nix have taken as his franchise QB? Tebow (25th) or Clausen (48th) in 2010? Locker (8th), Gabbert (10th), Ponder (12th), Dalton (35th) or Kaepernick (36th) in 2011 (and don't say everybody knew Kap would be a star, so Buddy must be a dunce)? Weeden (22nd) in 2012 (Wilson at pick 75 is another 20/20 hindsight guy who benefited from the solid team that surrounded him, IMO)? Who did Buddy pass on that would have been a franchise guy in Buffalo from those three drafts?

http://www.pro-footb...QB-1980-now.htm

If you take out the issue of the qb position in Nix's three drafts it is still fair to say that overall his draft record has been mediocre.If Nix's roster was more robust and all he needed to do was add a quality qb prospect to make this team a serious team then I would give him credit for putting this franchise in a good position for success. That certainly is not the case.

No one doubts that it is a major challenge to come up with a legitimate franchise qb. But when you take stewardship for a franchise that hasn't had a quality franchise qb for a generation and you don't make it a priority to secure one over a three year period then you have not acted very smartly. The major criticism most people have with Nix is not that he tried and failed to get a qb but that he didn't really try.