what kills me most about the past 3 years

The Buffalo Bills should draft a QB every year, maybe two until they find a franchise guy. Literaly make it a numbers game where GM ineptness, owner unput and the curse on the Bills QB position cannot stand in the way....lol

Isn't that kind of what teams like the Packers do? Of course, they had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, but they just kept accumulating QB's...even if they didn't really help the Packers, they made good trade bait. I really think you are on to something with this...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably means the 3 that ended up being below average starters for us for a couple of years before we dumped them in the trash heap where they belong

You forgot to mention how Washington got not 1 but possibly 2 franchise QB's in last year's draft! And like you said, we haven't even had 1 guy since Jimbo (who at first didn't even want to playfor us)

Let us not jump ahead and call Cousins as a Franchise QB after a few games in relief role !!!!!

I'd put hiring an unquestionably bad coach in Chan Gailey at #1. Or how in the heck is Buddy Nix still the GM of this team.

+1....Decent OC - Yes....Horrible HC - Yes...

It goes far beyond Nix. Here's the complete Bills' QB draft history for the past 25 years:

Levi Brown (2010, 7th round)

Trent Edwards (2007, 3rd round)

J.P. Losman (2004, 1st round)

Todd Collins (1995, 2nd round)

Matt Rodgers (1992, 12th round)

3 legit picks in 25 years spent on the QB position. You do the math.

A bit unfair as they used multiple picks to trade for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe. I'm not saying that is right or wrong but it is not fair to say they have not used picks for acquiring QB's.

Just wanted to mention that there have been posters here in the past who used large and bold font because of vision problems.

That was the case with the last person who was mocked for using large and bold fonts. Just sayin'

The last person who was mocked for just sayin' was actually typing. Even though they were saying what they were typing aloud. Still, the computer can't hear you, and neither can we. I carry on the tradition. Just typin'.

I think the Bill's need to draft a franchise QB, but after you draft there is far more to that, you have to develop them. The Bills in the recent years have not hired true head coaches, they have hired offensive C defensive C but not a lot of coach's who had Head coaching material. We can not keep changing our system every 3 years and expect the Bill's players to develop properly, especially when it comes to QB's, I truly want and hope Doug Marone is the right hire so we can keep the same scheme for quite some time and start developing our players instead of hurting them.

The last person who was mocked for just sayin' was actually typing. Even though they were saying what they were typing aloud. Still, the computer can't hear you, and neither can we. I carry on the tradition. Just typin'.

The last person who was mocked for just typin' was actually keyboarding. Even though they were keyboarding they weren't using a typewriter. I carry on the tradition. Just keyboardin'.

Buddy's logic was to add a franchise QB after a few years of improving the roster...NOT to draft one too early and throw him to the wolves with a team full of holes.

IMO, the plan was working until the wheels fell of last year. The supporting talent was being upgraded, a few high profile FAs were signed to bolster the defense and they were, on paper, ready to make a push for a playoff spot. Way too many "experts" bitching and moaning today have selective memory about the buzz around the Bills in training camp last year.

Then Wanny fell on his face, the WR corp fell apart and Chan had a mental freeze up in the second half of the year. Buddy's plan went 'poof' like the foam on a can of beer.

Now, it's back to the drawing board. My biggest fear is that Nix will placate the 'torch and pitchfork' crowd and draft a QB high from a mediocre crop of prospects and we'll just end up throwing the kid to the wolves anyway...

Buddy's logic was to add a franchise QB after a few years of improving the roster...NOT to draft one too early and throw him to the wolves with a team full of holes.

IMO, the plan was working until the wheels fell of last year. The supporting talent was being upgraded, a few high profile FAs were signed to bolster the defense and they were, on paper, ready to make a push for a playoff spot. Way too many "experts" bitching and moaning today have selective memory about the buzz around the Bills in training camp last year.

Then Wanny fell on his face, the WR corp fell apart and Chan had a mental freeze up in the second half of the year. Buddy's plan went 'poof' like the foam on a can of beer.

Now, it's back to the drawing board. My biggest fear is that Nix will placate the 'torch and pitchfork' crowd and draft a QB high from a mediocre crop of prospects and we'll just end up throwing the kid to the wolves anyway...

Buddy is the only one who adheres to this plan of build up the lines and insert QB at the end. No other team in the NFL does this. And given that QB's are set up for success better than at any other time in NFL history with PI and roughness liberally called, it makes no sense.

The greatest force multiplier on any team is the QB and with that in mind, you get the guy first and, perhaps simultaneously, build the OL. Atlanta did it drafting Matt Ryan and trading up to get his LT. That's how a real GM operates.

Buddy's plan has been a flip-flopping horror show. On defense he tried to convert to a 3-4 without the pieces, wasted resources building it, then scrapped that scheme for a 4-3 only 2 years later. He signed core players to contracts like Fitzpatrick and Kelsay who are now gone.

Frankly, no one cares about buzz, and it was Buddy himself in that infamous press conference back in early 2010 who said show me the baby. Well, this has to be the longest pregnancy on record.

I agree - that was the plan. However, Nix seriously lacked the ability to JUDGE QB talent, otherwise he wouldn't have missed on Kaepernick, Cousins, or Wilson - any of which were MINIMAL risks.

Now, after having his plans foiled, we are looking ahead to this season, and I am convinced the Bills can really fix one of their two sides (offense/defense) with the draft. I mean, we could go WR/QB or QB/WR with our 1 and 2, grab another G in FA, maybe a TE, and a later round WR - and our offense could be top 10 if all goes well, and it could be set for the forseeable future. But, we'd be neglecting the defense.

We could go OLB, ILB, then Safety, or CB in the draft, and our defense would be looking pretty solid. But, as I mentioned above, our offense would be neglected. I really want to see some excellent play out of Buffalo, but I feel like Nix is going to try to mix up the draft, going offense and defense, and, in the end, leaving both units a little short.

They could've gone all in this year with FA, got some holes filled, used the draft to finalize the roster, and we'd have a playoff caliber team - but in doing so I think the Bills would be relying on a rookie QB - and, because they haven't gone all in on FA and set out to fill every hole with urgency tells me they aren't convinced there will be a rookie QB available to them who they can count on to take them all the way.

It's only fair to give a new coaching staff 3 years to succeed. Injuries last year on a team without depth sounds reasonable. Less stress on the fans if expectations are low for now.

That is the problem with this franchise, and I don't disagree with you, but they change coaches every 3 years, so each coach gets 3 years, as you say, and then gets fired, and it starts all over again. Like wheels spinning in mud.

That is the problem with this franchise, and I don't disagree with you, but they change coaches every 3 years, so each coach gets 3 years, as you say, and then gets fired, and it starts all over again. Like wheels spinning in mud.

I totally agree with this, you look at the majority of teams that are winning, they have a stable coaching staff, stable schemes so they can develop there players. Yes we need to draft a franchise QB but without having these other things our players will not succeed

It goes far beyond Nix. Here's the complete Bills' QB draft history for the past 25 years:

Levi Brown (2010, 7th round)

Trent Edwards (2007, 3rd round)

J.P. Losman (2004, 1st round)

Todd Collins (1995, 2nd round)

Matt Rodgers (1992, 12th round)

3 legit picks in 25 years spent on the QB position. You do the math.

Ah yes. I remember when I staked the claim: drafting Willis McGahee has set this franchise back a decade.

Nope--what you've written above is the alpha and the omega.

He probably means the 3 that ended up being below average starters for us for a couple of years before we dumped them in the trash heap where they belong

You forgot to mention how Washington got not 1 but possibly 2 franchise QB's in last year's draft! And like you said, we haven't even had 1 guy since Jimbo (who at first didn't even want to playfor us)

I'd say it is a bit early to label either of Washington's QBs as "franchise" QBs just yet. And they did spend 4 picks (3 first rounders) to secure these two QBs. Very risky. RG3 looks like the real deal if he can stay healthy and Cousins looks like a solid backup. Time will tell.