Dying veteran's F-U letter to Bush and Cheney

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many, many people that would disagree with you included the author of the letter in question in this thread.

There are many, many, idiots in the world too.

There's a difference between believing and acting upon bad intelligence and fabricating it. W's administration had a lot of hawks who saw to it we went to war, regardless of cause. But they couldn't do it alone and knew it. So a story was shaped. Lots of people on both sides of the aisle went along with it, believing it to be in the best interest of the nation. There were also lots of people who went along with it believing it to be in their own personal best interest.

Edited by We Come In Peace

There are many, many, idiots in the world too.

There's a difference between believing and acting upon bad intelligence and fabricating it. W's administration had a lot of hawks who saw to it we went to war, regardless of cause. But they couldn't do it alone and knew it. So a story was shaped. Lots of people on both sides of the aisle went along with it, believing it to be in the best interest of the nation. There were also lots of people who went along with it believing it to be in their own personal best interest.

Did all the other Countries that had the same intel fabricate their intel too?

Did all the other Countries that had the same intel fabricate their intel too?

It was follow the leader.

And hundreds, if not thousands, of analysts working with the raw intel.

Yes. With senior administration officials cherry picking the data that fit the narrative they were selling.

Yes. With senior administration officials cherry picking the data that fit the narrative they were selling.

Funny. Not two posts up you made a clear distinction that the intel was fabricated rather than subject to confirmation bias. Now you're making the exact opposite statement.

Kinda makes you a total !@#$ing retard, doesn't it?

Funny. Not two posts up you made a clear distinction that the intel was fabricated rather than subject to confirmation bias. Now you're making the exact opposite statement.

I did? I don't think I did, or at least didn't intend it that way. I don't believe intelligence was fabricated in the sense it was made up from thin air while administration officials were twisting their mustaches, I DO believe that they cherry picked the intel that fit their narrative. There's a difference.

I did? I don't think I did, or at least didn't intend it that way. I don't believe intelligence was fabricated in the sense it was made up from thin air while administration officials were twisting their mustaches, I DO believe that they cherry picked the intel that fit their narrative. There's a difference.

You mean like someone cherry picking your posts to see how wrong you are on a subject. When there is so much data, it happens.

If there is data supporting something, then data showing that supporting data is no good, and you cherry pick the supporting data and leave out the other data that show the supporting data is crap....is that fabrication or confirmation bias?

That's cold blooded, homes.

Don't you know who you are talking to? I mean the guy self-allegedly fired one employee and reduced the pay of his gardener by 30%, because "elections have consequences".

He's a real stand up and principled guy.

If there is data supporting something, then data showing that supporting data is no good, and you cherry pick the supporting data and leave out the other data that show the supporting data is crap....is that fabrication or confirmation bias?

Is this a hypothetical question or are you referring to something specific?

I don't think he was trying to be cryptic...

I'd like him to answer the question. As a lawyer he's used to making prejudicial comments and then calling them to be struck from the record. I'd like him to actually go on record.

This is incorrect information. Desert Storm, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom were all voted on and funded by Congress. While not formal declarations of war, they were not waged with Executive Powers alone. Now, we can quibble over the semantics, but anything costing over $3 Trillion (and climbing) and over 4,000 American soldiers is not what the Constitution had in mind when determining war powers and is precisely why Congress was called on to vote.

The semantics in this issue are important, and people argue over them all the time. For example, I could just as easily argue that, as a state of war between Iraq and the US did not exist before the Executive gave the order to initiate combat in OIF, Congressional authorization for OIF did not in fact constitute a declaration of war (I believe that was roughly John Kerry's reasoning for voting for the authorization...he didn't support the war, but he wasn't voting for a declaration of war, merely voting to allow someone ELSE to declare war. Thus he "voted for it before he voted against it.")

Usually confirmation bias. Because generally data is not all that clear on its own - I've seen it in hard sciences, and that data tends to be MUCH more unambiguous that intelligence.

The semantics in this issue are important, and people argue over them all the time.

Certainly, especially you and I -- or is it, 'me and you'?

Usually confirmation bias. Because generally data is not all that clear on its own - I've seen it in hard sciences, and that data tends to be MUCH more unambiguous that intelligence.

Considering the size of the intelligence fu*kup, and I don't mean the political fallout or military operations but more in the sense that nearly every single piece of "hard" intel that was presented to the public during the lead up to the war turned out to be incorrect, what's more likely in your mind: (edit: and I realize this isn't an either or situation, I'm honestly curious about your opinion on it)

The entire intelligence community was duped and/or misled by Sadam's propaganda and intelligence outfits and that's what led to the failure

or

The administration, supported by a ratings driven media and fueled by an angry/grieving citizenry, pushed their own agenda for war with Iraq to the forefront of our national consciousness and forced the intelligence community to play ball or shut up?

Edited by We Come In Peace

Considering the size of the intelligence fu*kup, and I don't mean the political fallout or military operations but more in the sense that nearly every single piece of "hard" intel that was presented to the public during the lead up to the war turned out to be incorrect, what's more likely in your mind: (edit: and I realize this isn't an either or situation, I'm honestly curious about your opinion on it)

The entire intelligence community was duped and/or misled by Sadam's propaganda and intelligence outfits and that's what led to the failure

or

The administration, supported by a ratings driven media and fueled by an angry/grieving citizenry, pushed their own agenda for war with Iraq to the forefront of our national consciousness and forced the intelligence community to play ball or shut up?

When you say The entire intelligence community you really mean U.S, U.K and Israel - German and Russia intelligence never agreed, I thought French intelligence was on board but later I saw an interview where a Frenchie spook totally denied ever agreeing with U.S. intelligence assessments (truth or revisionist history who knows) - plus try to find an American intelligence officer who will take credit for that intelligence assessment, good luck, I've seen many CIA guys saying stuff like I don't know where the hell that Intelligence came from - I've seen no one taking credit for it.

or

Far more the former than the latter.

I'm not going to give detail right now...largely because I've got a couple of sources here I can dig out that explain it better than I can do off the top of my head right now, and I want to look at them. But the bottom line is that people tend to see things as they expect them to be, and don't necessarily consider alternatives once their preconceived notions are proven. In ANY discussion or discipline. Pick an area of scientific research, and I'll find you a paper based on research that suffers from confirmation bias (and don't pick economics or climatology or sociology - nothing that easy). You can't read a single page of a newspaper (with the possible exception of the classifieds) that doesn't have an article that suffers from confirmation bias. People don't like proving themselves wrong, so if you're looking for something, you tend to find what you're looking for whether it's there or not.

It's just that people don't usually start wars because of it.

Don't you know who you are talking to? I mean the guy self-allegedly fired one employee and reduced the pay of his gardener by 30%, because "elections have consequences".

He's a real stand up and principled guy.

You'll stand in the shadows of men who stand in the shadows of men like me for the rest of your life.

It stings because you know it's true.

It's worse because you rely on me at the same time, and you always will.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Please stop insulting retards

Is this a hypothetical question or are you referring to something specific?

I think he was referring to Climate Change.

Did anyone mention the "Indian Wars?"

Custer and his men got their azzes handed to them.

They didn't sign up for that either... I'm pretty sure.

Custer's also a really good example of what I was talking about above. He interpreted the info he had according to his own preconceived notions, and got his ass handed to him.

To get full circle back to the letter and soldier.... You sign up for the military two days after a terror attack to join a fight against terrorism.... And then act like you are somehow surprised that it took you into bad situations you hadn't fully contemplated? Really?

I guess he atleast gave himself 48 hours, so as not to make a stupid decision based on emotion, right.....

To get full circle back to the letter and soldier.... You sign up for the military two days after a terror attack to join a fight against terrorism.... And then act like you are somehow surprised that it took you into bad situations you hadn't fully contemplated? Really?

I guess he atleast gave himself 48 hours, so as not to make a stupid decision based on emotion, right.....

I think he would tell you that you're completely missing his point.

Far more the former than the latter.

I'm not going to give detail right now...largely because I've got a couple of sources here I can dig out that explain it better than I can do off the top of my head right now, and I want to look at them. But the bottom line is that people tend to see things as they expect them to be, and don't necessarily consider alternatives once their preconceived notions are proven. In ANY discussion or discipline. Pick an area of scientific research, and I'll find you a paper based on research that suffers from confirmation bias (and don't pick economics or climatology or sociology - nothing that easy). You can't read a single page of a newspaper (with the possible exception of the classifieds) that doesn't have an article that suffers from confirmation bias. People don't like proving themselves wrong, so if you're looking for something, you tend to find what you're looking for whether it's there or not.

It's just that people don't usually start wars because of it.

Custer's also a really good example of what I was talking about above. He interpreted the info he had according to his own preconceived notions, and got his ass handed to him.

This makes sense to me on a lot of levels. I'm not going to pretend to know the true motives of the people who led us down the path to war and confirmation bias allows a nice sidestep around that mine field. But it also leaves me with another question, is there a solution to this problem? It seems that we're living in a world now where people have their own "facts". If they don't like what they're hearing, they can turn the channel to either MSNBC or Fox or CNN or log onto a blog and get whatever "factual" reinforcement they desire. It's one thing for the mob to fall victim to this (that's kind of our job in the social contract), but it's another thing when it happens to our leaders.

As you said, people don't usually start wars over it -- but if we're living in a more polarized world, one where facts are subject to debatable and more slippery than ever before, isn't it safe to assume this won't be such a rare occurrence in the decades to come?

Please stop insulting retards

Thank you! :beer:

I empathize with him- however, it is no different that signing up for a home loan you can't afford then whining that you should be able to do or someone should make you whole... you signed up, you signed up..

Remember the scene in the movie Airplane!... LoL

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPn0WdJx-Wkw

"Shana, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!"

Bush lied and men died. Why do you bushwhackers still deny that?

Is that anything like Obama lied and Benghazi survivors are still nowhere to be found?

Or Obama introduced and signed the sequester into law and 7 Marines died (according to Harry Reid)?

Or Obama lied and Brian Terry died?

Or Obama lied and Egyptians died?

Because its simplistic and incorrect...........any other questions ?

Well... it's simplistic for sure. But is it technically incorrect? Bush did present false information in the state of the union and his proxies presented false information to both the UN and the press at large. So much so there are segments of the population that still believe the Iraq war had something to do with 9/11.

The question is whether he knowingly presented false information -- and that's something we can only speculate about for now.

Well... it's simplistic for sure. But is it technically incorrect? Bush did present false information in the state of the union and his proxies presented false information to both the UN and the press at large. So much so there are segments of the population that still believe the Iraq war had something to do with 9/11.

The question is whether he knowingly presented false information -- and that's something we can only speculate about for now.

No. that is also incorrect.

You can speculate and project (as you did in the other thread) all you wish.

but all the principles in the Iraq/WMD debate (including Bush) have written about what they thought, and their speeches at the time are all public record.

As to your reference to people "believing" that 9/11 had something to do with the Iraq war , well that is a great demonstration of ignorance.

No. that is also incorrect.

You can speculate and project (as you did in the other thread) all you wish.

but all the principles in the Iraq/WMD debate (including Bush) have written about what they thought, and their speeches at the time are all public record.

You of all people should know that you can't believe everything you read. Especially less than a decade out from the event when the principles are still alive and still trying to earn livings.

History will be able to more accurately judge given some distance.

As to your reference to people "believing" that 9/11 had something to do with the Iraq war , well that is a great demonstration of ignorance.

So you're going to tell me that there aren't any people in the US who believe the war in Iraq was tied to the 9/11 attacks? You reaaaaallly wanna say that?

You of all people should know that you can't believe everything you read. Especially less than a decade out from the event when the principles are still alive and still trying to earn livings.

History will be able to more accurately judge given some distance.

So you're going to tell me that there aren't any people in the US who believe the war in Iraq was tied to the 9/11 attacks? You reaaaaallly wanna say that?

Do you ever wonder if there are people in the US that believe Gitmo was shut down? How about if you like your health plan you'll still be able to keep it? I wonder if some people think this is the most transparent administration in history? I also wonder if some people still believe this is Bush's economy? Shall I go on?