Lost 8 Starters, Replaced 1

There are 5 starting positions that need to be addressed: QB, WR, LG, OLB, ILB.

The rest of the roster holes can easily be filled with mid-/late-round draft picks and inexpensive free agents.

I am going to give the front office up through the draft before I start panicking and whining....though admittedly after 13 years, they probably don't deserve such a grace period.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick I was a Fitz guy and wanted him back, but a change was needed here. Can you honestly say Fitz made a difference in a positive way in any game last year? I think any replacement has to be more accurate

• • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots) # 3 reciever on a real team, has an undisclosed medical problem. Not a big loss
  • • Wide receiver David Nelson Played one game elast year, coming off ACL, But I liked his game and agree this hurts
  • • Guard Andy Levitre (Tennessee Titans) Big Loss i agree
  • • Guard Chad Rinehart (San Diego Chargers) Backup
  • • Defensive end Chris Kelsay (retired) We all wanted him gone, tried hard..little impact
  • • Defensive end Shawne Merriman (retired) no impact on field
  • • Linebacker Nick Barnett Old and slow, liabilit in coverage
  • • Cornerback Terrence McGee should have been cut two years ago
  • • Safety George Wilson (Tennessee Titans) split time with Seracy

So I see one and a half losses really. I mean this team was 6-10, with a god awful defense.Did you want them to keep the same guys? Change was not only warrented, but an absolute must

And again, like the OP said, absolutely no one to replace any of them. Unless of course you are counting on the Bills stellar draft record to find their replacements.

So, as bad as these guys listed above were/are, the replacements for them were reprehensible and five times worse.

This team is run by a myriad of buffoons. Anyone that can even attempt to justify what they have done so far has their head up their arse.

Respectfully of course.

13 years and going on 14. Easily.

Edited by Lv-Bills

The Jets "used" him as a kick returner. That's pretty much it. 7 passes in 4 years. 23 catches in his last 3 years there.

What did you mean?

He had 60+ catches and about 100 rushing attempts with the jets in addition to kick return touches. That's about 30 offensive touches a season plus special teams

Your bills stats seem likewise skewed as nfl.com has 37 catches with the bills

Edited by NoSaint

The Jets "used" him as a kick returner. That's pretty much it. 7 passes in 4 years. 23 catches in his last 3 years there.

What did you mean?

this. His numbers (exception for STs) for his entire career are absolutely comical. The fact that he still gets love is absolutely criminal. He needs to go.

In all honesty, it looks like a full on rebuilding year. I really don't see how this team can win more games than last year's with the purges. It may work out in the long run but unless there are some unexpected signings next year is gonna be ugly.

Building the ream through free agency is a tough road to how in Buffalo. We are the only small market team in the AFC east. Sure, you can pay huge contracts and get players (ie..Mario) but you only ensure you will end up in cap jail at some point.

I'm really beginning to think this is pretty big factor in our lack of success. Its more difficult to lure a FA player to a small market, especially one with cold weather,and a bad football team. Mike Wallace even said he was happy to be going to a warm weather climate in Miami as an example, another big market team. (ps...if Im a dolphins fan I'm not liking that signing / contract).

End result is you can't get consistently good players to sign in FA. (Yes, our draft record really hasn't helped .) The situation snow balls since you have a team that is not a contender further limiting free agents willingness to sign in Buffalo.

They really need to score, and score big in the draft the next few years. If you can build a contender through the draft, you've created an environment where more free agents would show an interest, which makes the window larger for a successful run.

jb

He had 60+ catches and about 100 rushing attempts with the jets in addition to kick return touches. That's about 30 offensive touches a season plus special teams

Your bills stats seem likewise skewed as nfl.com has 37 catches with the bills

Didn't include Bills stats. Point the OP made was about Pettine recommending Smith be used the way the Jets used him. The Jets didn't use him for much in the last 3 of the 4 years Pettine was with the Jets. The last 3 years as a Jet saw Smith mainly returning kickoffs.

Ike - We made a gigantic splash with Mario last year. We signed a solid, young LB this year. We have some players to sign next year. We will add more players in the week or month to come. You cannot go out and buy every player on the market whose name starts with Mike or ends with Landry. In my opinion (which isn't worth #@!$), the front office is taking the conservative approach to maintain a well balanced team for years to come. Sign quality players at a reasonable price while understanding we have cornerstone players to re-sign in the offseason of 2014. If we signed a total of three free agents in the first week you might be happy unless you had to cut that same player next year to make room for Spiller or Dareus. Why not take your time, find the right players at the right price and still have Spiller, Dareus, Wood, etc. Analytics is a tough pill to swallow but I'm buying what they are selling.

They have been selling the same **** for thirteen years. The names change but the results stay the same.

They have been selling the same **** for thirteen years. The names change but the results stay the same.

Some things have changed...as recent as January 2013. New direction I say...until proven otherwise.

And everybody else is having fun signing guys.

....and cutting their other starters next year to make room for cap.

Building the ream through free agency is a tough road to how in Buffalo. We are the only small market team in the AFC east. Sure, you can pay huge contracts and get players (ie..Mario) but you only ensure you will end up in cap jail at some point.

I'm really beginning to think this is pretty big factor in our lack of success. Its more difficult to lure a FA player to a small market, especially one with cold weather,and a bad football team. Mike Wallace even said he was happy to be going to a warm weather climate in Miami as an example, another big market team. (ps...if Im a dolphins fan I'm not liking that signing / contract).

End result is you can't get consistently good players to sign in FA. (Yes, our draft record really hasn't helped .) The situation snow balls since you have a team that is not a contender further limiting free agents willingness to sign in Buffalo.

They really need to score, and score big in the draft the next few years. If you can build a contender through the draft, you've created an environment where more free agents would show an interest, which makes the window larger for a successful run.

jb

So basically "it's hard to sign fa in the nfl"

Players who have departed vs replaced.

• Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick - Rookie/Jackson
  • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots) - Rookie/FA/Graham
  • Wide receiver David Nelson - Rookie/FA/Graham
  • Guard Andy Levitre (Tennessee Titans) - Rookie/FA in house? (Marrone does have a rep for developing lineman)
  • Guard Chad Rinehart (San Diego Chargers)
  • Defensive end Chris Kelsay (retired) - Did not really have a place in the Amoeba hybrid defense. Probably wouldn't have started.
  • Defensive end Shawne Merriman (retired) - Williams/Anderson/Lawson
  • Linebacker Nick Barnett - Bradham/Lawson
  • Cornerback Terrence McGee - Brooks/Rogers
  • Safety George Wilson (Tennessee Titans) - Searcy

Is there anybody that would NOT be okay with this? I think it's better already if you ask me. The only downgrade I can see happening is possibly at OG and SS. But I think they will both be capably filled just fine.

Players who have departed vs replaced.

• Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick - Rookie/Jackson
  • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots) - Rookie/FA/Graham
  • Wide receiver David Nelson - Rookie/FA/Graham
  • Guard Andy Levitre (Tennessee Titans) - Rookie/FA in house? (Marrone does have a rep for developing lineman)
  • Guard Chad Rinehart (San Diego Chargers)
  • Defensive end Chris Kelsay (retired) - Did not really have a place in the Amoeba hybrid defense. Probably wouldn't have started.
  • Defensive end Shawne Merriman (retired) - Williams/Anderson/Lawson
  • Linebacker Nick Barnett - Bradham/Lawson
  • Cornerback Terrence McGee - Brooks/Rogers
  • Safety George Wilson (Tennessee Titans) - Searcy

Is there anybody that would NOT be okay with this? I think it's better already if you ask me. The only downgrade I can see happening is possibly at OG and SS. But I think they will both be capably filled just fine.

I'm not sure what you're looking at. I see downgrades at every single one of those positions except for possibly cornerback and OLB. Maybe some guys will surprise me and maybe they pickup a starter or two in the draft but there's no way that they are going to be better talent wise than last season. Maybe they will be better coached and win the same number of games but I think it's more likely that with less talent and a new system on offense and defense next season will go into the tank.