Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Yeah, the notion that anyone other than Kevin Kolb will be the opening day QB for the Bills is pretty silly. Wondering if Jackson is regretting signing the paltry deal he signed to stay in Buffalo, without even testing the FA market. I admit, I have some reservations about Kolb, but the move is growing on me. I just hate to see a situation, as we have in the past, where one guy is the starter based on his salary, rather than his performance.

I fully expect Kolb to be the starter on opening day (assuming he makes it through camp without getting injured). But I really don't think salary will have anything to do with it. If TJax outperforms Kolb, I think he starts. If the rookie is ready, he starts. I see a true competition with Kolb placed in the lead at the beginning but not locked in. Im interested to see how much guaranteed money he gets. He might not be on the opening day roster if the guaranteed money is not significant.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully expect Kolb to be the starter on opening day (assuming he makes it through camp without getting injured). But I really don't think salary will have anything to do with it. If TJax outperforms Kolb, I think he starts. If the rookie is ready, he starts. I see a true competition with Kolb placed in the lead at the beginning but not locked in. Im interested to see how much guaranteed money he gets. He might not be on the opening day roster if the guaranteed money is not significant.

i hate to quote rex, but i think right now its obvious that kolb will get the first snap at the OTAs... but i hope from there it is a best man wins. I dont think that either is head and shoulders above the other based on their baseline physical talents. Both have been in not so great situations and hopefully one is able to salvage the promise they once had. if i were a betting man, kolb has better odds of that but i wouldnt say hes a "gimme" at this point for starter.

i also still hope for a qb at 8. if geno somehow slides i think hes week 1 starter, but otherwise, id guess the vet takes the snaps opening week.

i hope the best man wins, too. but something tells me kolb isn't the best man. i wish i could put money down in vegas on whether or not Kolb gets hurt. it's an easy bet to take. usually when QBs become injury prone they stay that way. i'm not sure why everyone doesn't realize that if he starts he'll be hurt within a few games. he can't take a hit.

with that in mind, i'd really rather fitz than kolb. fitz had a terrible arm and was inaccurate, but he was tough as nails and played through broken ribs. let's hope Korn on the Kolb doesn't get turf toe again this year and miss ten games.

way to go nix, you signed a china doll!

i'm not sure why everyone doesn't realize that if he starts he'll be hurt within a few games. he can't take a hit.

having seen a couple cards games... he was getting flat out abused week in and week out. i wouldnt call him a china doll. some of the not so hard hits that you think took him out of games, likely had more to do with him already being injured before the hit and that smaller hit just being the last straw or proving he wasnt healthy enough to be on the field in the first place.

if we can keep him relatively clean, i dont think you will see a guy that is made of glass.

If Kolb is made of glass, TJax will come in and we'll be no worse than when Fitz was here. This is assuming we keep 3 QBs (Kolb, Jackson, Rookie). I'm not expecting miracles from Kolb - Philly and Arizona expected great things from him only to be disappointed. But I am happier with our QBs this year than last. Fitz doomed us to mediocrity. At least now there's some hope.

Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-officially-sign-QB-Kevin-Kolb/6ee5db53-7df1-4664-83e3-695014bd8483

“We wanted to add some veteran experience to the quarterback position on our roster and we think we’ve added a good one by signing Kevin," said Bills GM Buddy Nix. "He’s a player we had targeted since he became a free agent and he should be a strong candidate in the competition for the starting quarterback position.”

Terms of the contract were not disclosed per team policy.

Recently released by the Arizona Cardinals after two seasons in the desert, Kolb (6’3” 218) is a six-year veteran. The Cardinals traded a second-round pick and CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Kolb back in 2011, but after two seasons and a coaching change Arizona parted ways with the signal caller.

If the Bills paid what the Cardinals did to get him I would be sick. Since they didn't, im in for giving it a shot. If he is even similar to Fitz with half the interceptions we win 4-5 more games and prob make the playoffs.

:thumbsup:

When you look at Kevin Kolb, you're looking at the QB of the Buffalo Bills.

:doh::w00t:

Sometimes it takes putting the right athlete in the right system and with the right supporting cast to succeed. Most would agree if you took away a fella like Cam Newtons ability to run with the football, and force him to be your typical pocket passing QB, you will not be putting your star athlete in the best position you can to win football games. (just one example)

Kolb was a very smart signing in my opinion. Kolb will have good protection and what I believe is the best one two punch in football with FJ and CJ.

Myself personally, I'm real excited to see what Kevin Kolb can do in Buffalo.

(still praying we draft Nassib)

:thumbsup::beer: GO BILLS!!!! Edited by Dat '315' Dude

He's wearing his old college #4. Was curious about his college stats and ran across

He initially was going to play for Oklahoma coming out of high school and ended up rescinding that commitment when his high school coach got a job coaching for Houston. Just looking at the video, I was pretty surprised by the running plays and role outs. Kolb has some wheels. Here are his college stats.

Passing Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate Career Houston 964 1565 61.6 12964 8.3 8.5 85 31 145.1 2003* Houston CUSA FR QB 220 360 61.1 3131 8.7 9.3 25 6 153.8 2004 Houston CUSA SO QB 198 353 56.1 2766 7.8 7.7 11 6 128.8 2005* Houston CUSA JR QB 254 420 60.5 3258 7.8 7.1 19 15 133.4 2006* Houston CUSA SR QB 292 432 67.6 3809 8.8 9.8 30 4 162.7

His completion percentages look pretty good and his Y/A are good too. These are his college numbers so take them with a grain of salt. He really doesn't have much to go on for numbers in the NFL so I'm kind of interested in these. I like the signing. He could be pretty good if he's given some time to throw. We are going to find out how good our offensive line really is with him behind center. The thing that I like is that he has a pretty good background in west coast principals. He may actually flourish in Buffalo.