Doomsday - March 12, 2013

H2o

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who gives a sh*t. What exactly did the "leaders" do for the team? They lead us to multiple losing seasons. The only player we will miss his Levitre. We are building a football team not a church choir. I will take talent over locker room anyday.

Not saying that a couple rah rah guys would propel us to a Super Bowl just find it a little concerning that an already "weak" locker room appears to have lost much of its voice. Seems like most of the really successful teams have a handful of guys that speak for the group but at the same time hold everyone to some kind of standard.

I know Stevie tries, but he often inserts his foot into his mouth. Do you really want one of your team leaders to have recently admitted on a national radio show that he doesn't train as much as he could in the offseason and that he could possibly be better?

I hope Marrone and the new staff will hold people accountable, and that this wont just be a big group of paycheck collectors. Looks like we will have a long season in front of us fellas. Oh well ill still be there in sec 109.

We don't know that some of the younger guys aren't capable of being leaders.

For example, say what you want about Sheppard's on field play thus far, but he was the undisputed team leader at LSU. He was known for his passionate pre game speeches and firing up his squad.

We've also seen Dareus be pretty damn vocal already in his short time here. Wood has too.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that the younger guys are expected to defer to the veterans. Let's wait and see who emerges before we say there aren't any leaders to fill the void. There could be plenty of great leaders who just haven't had the opportunity.

Also, the fact that we will likely be seeing younger guys stepping into those roles is encouraging because we have a new staff. These younger guys won't be as set in their ways as some of those cagey vets. If Marrone and Pettine know what they're doing, some of that leadership and perspective will rub off on the new breed of leaders.

Edited by uncle flap

Does not retaining David Nelson and Levitre add or subtract from your happiness ? I for one, want talent added and mere subtraction does not give me any great pleasure. Fitz had to go I agree. But there have been a lot of questionable moves and non-moves till yesterday.

Not tendering David Nelson doesn't bother me in the least. As was pointed out numerous times, the range for his salary was approximately what the tender would have been, about $1.3 million, and what the minimum for a vet of his experience is, about $300K.

That's a million dollar difference for a guy who admitted late last week that he hasn't regained the confidence to start cutting again on his knee.

Not tendering Nelson actually gives me confidence that the Bills are gonna be coldly rational about their business. Cutting Fitz and nudging Kelsay towards retirement are also clear cues that the Bills aren't gonna do "feel good" contracts anymore.

As for Levitre, I wanted him retained and hated to see him go. I lamented the cycle of losing good players and having to fill holes instead of build depth.

But as I've stated numerous times in the Warmack discussions, I simply don't believe in drafting or paying guards big money. I understand many disagree with me and I don't care to discuss it anymore.

However, if they were gonna lose Levitre, I would hope that they would sign another solid veteran guard in free agency. At that position, I'm fine with paying a guy 40% of what Levitre signed for to get 90% of the performance or in the case of Vasquez, 75% of what Levitre signed for to get 95-100% if the performance.

There are plenty of solid guards available in free agency right now, Brandon Moore, Ramon Foster, Matt Slauson, Leroy Harris, etc.

I would like to see the Bills get a veteran guard and another linebacker or cornerback in free agency.

I get a kick out of this. Fans demand change. Change happens. Fans demand faster change. For those who missed Bills' rebuilding circa 2001, 2006 and 2009 and 2010, these things take time. You asked for it, and here it is. Change.

Jw

The issue I have, is there was no real change. Just brought in an unproven coaching staff. The main players, most of which are constants through a lot of bad years, are making decisions. They only act when there is no other choice and they need to quiet the fans/media down and buy a few years.

Big news! Russ Brandon goes from President to Super-President! Buddy Nix stays on to disassemble the team that him and Russ built for the last 3 years because we trust them to do it correctly this time.