National Driver Registry

Gugny

So I just found out that I'm on the NDR for an unpaid ticket I got in New Jersey over 20 years ago.

Has anyone been through this before? I'm on the phone with NJ DMV now. Ugh.

The thread title is misleading. I thought this was about golf.

It was going to be about golf, then I found out about the New Jersey thing, so I changed it on the fly.

Were you driving a golf cart in NJ?? In which case you have met the relevance criteria.

I don't even remember what I got pulled over for. This is the early 90s we're talking about, here. NJ DMV didn't have my name on record. Now I'm waiting for my DMV to call me back for next steps. I can't believe there's no statute of limitations. I can say with 100% confidence it wasn't alcohol/drug related. If anything, it was speeding.

New Jersey is a compact state in NDR. Usually people find out about it when they renew their driver's license and find out they can't because of unpaid tickets from out of state.

Here's the weird thing ... I renewed my license in March of 2010 (tomorrow will be 3 years, exactly, ironically enough) and I had no problem. Today, I went to get my motorcycle permit and it comes up.

I don't even remember what I got pulled over for. This is the early 90s we're talking about, here. NJ DMV didn't have my name on record. Now I'm waiting for my DMV to call me back for next steps. I can't believe there's no statute of limitations. I can say with 100% confidence it wasn't alcohol/drug related. If anything, it was speeding.

So who are we pissed at here? The National Driver Registry, the NJ DMV or you for not paying your ticket? Just wondering.

Edited by Chef Jim

So who are we pissed at here? The National Driver Registry, the NJ DMV or you for not paying your ticket? Just wondering.

I don't think anyone should be pissed at anyone. It's my fault for not paying the ticket 20+ years ago. But if you're hellbent on being pissed off, might I suggest Beerball?

Same thing happened to me 2 yrs ago when I went to renew. Had a $25 Fee that had been upaid in PA from many years ago. I was never aware of it until I went to renew my license. Cost me more than that to overnight it to them Certified Mail..

I have never seen an NRVC entry from a 20 year old traffic ticket. Either the DMV missed it when you went to renew your license or New Jersey recently entered you.

All the woman at my DMV could tell me is what my address was at the time of the infraction ... nothing else. No date, no specifics, etc. But I got out of the Navy in Sept. 1993, and I was in the 5th month of a Med. Cruise, so the latest possible date it could have occured would have been April 1993. More likely sometime in 1992, though.

I don't think anyone should be pissed at anyone. It's my fault for not paying the ticket 20+ years ago. But if you're hellbent on being pissed off, might I suggest Beerball?

Yeah! Now yer talkin'! :w00t:

Lots of states are hurtin' for cash. Red light cameras being installed everywhere. They're looking for loot. Doesn't surprise me someone in Trenton (trantuhn) came up with this wiz-bang of an idea to shake the DMV's data in order to give the shake down to whomever they can.

Edited by Nanker

Same thing happened to me 2 yrs ago when I went to renew. Had a $25 Fee that had been upaid in PA from many years ago. I was never aware of it until I went to renew my license. Cost me more than that to overnight it to them Certified Mail..

So they didn't have some ridiculous charges due to being so late?

Just happened to me...a real annoyance but i was able to get it resolved fairly painlessly...and mine was approximately the same age so it was before the added admin costs ever came into play so it was only fine and court cost. I hope its as painless for u as it was for me...cost me more time than anything.

And I'd both gotten and renewed my license in VA a few times...but when I went to get my PA...there it was

So I just found out that I'm on the NDR for an unpaid ticket I got in New Jersey over 20 years ago.

Has anyone been through this before? I'm on the phone with NJ DMV now. Ugh.

Edited by The Poojer

Hmm. I will laugh in my 40's when this comes up. The only thing I have are several unpaid parking tickets at the Univ. of Toledo, one at UNC-Charlotte, and a few at the Ohio State Univ. Maybe Bowling Green, too. I'd park in a faculty spot there when visiting people.

Same here...fine and filing fee...no big DMV fees that came into existence after the dates on the tix

This all makes me feel better. I just need it resolved by mid April. My motorcycle course is in the 3rd week and I need my permit. Fingers crossed and thank you all for the info.

I paid over the phone to Syracuse and Dewitt courts. I was expecting 10-14 days for everything to get off the registry and in DMV...it was maybe 3-5 days once I paid. Good luck!

This all makes me feel better. I just need it resolved by mid April. My motorcycle course is in the 3rd week and I need my permit. Fingers crossed and thank you all for the info.

So my DMV told me I needed to get a Driving Abstract from the NJ DMV. I called NJ DMV and spoke to the same girl with whom I spoke yesterday. She tried to find me in the system again and I did not show up. So I had to call another division and leave a message with my information. They will look for me in the registry. If they find me, then I can see what I need to do to resolve this. If I don't show up in their search, then I need to request a "Clearence Letter."

I anticipate that my name will be found. At this point, I just want to make sure it's resolved in the next four weeks.

I went through DMV hell because of NDR. I couldn't renew my license until I took care of out of state tickets. "Where do I owe ticket" "Massachusets" "That's it?" " Yes". So I paid a Mass ticket from the early 90's. I went back to DMV and showed proof that I paid. "Can I get my license" "No, you need to take care of a Rhode Island ticket from 1991" "I wish you told me that when I asked last time" :censored: So I paid the RI ticket. I went to DMV- "you still need to take care of this RI ticket". "I did" "Its not showing up in computer". So I go home and call RI- they tell me "you are all set- its marked as paid" Back to DMV "no, its still not paid in RI". On and on like this for a couple weeks. I called RI DMV every day, and dealt with the same person. After about 20 trips to DMV I offered the phone number of the RI person I had been dealing with. "no, we have our own numbers". After DMV was on hold for 20 minutes "can I get that number?". Finally after a lengthy phone call they figured out that it was marked as paid in RI, but not on the registry. Pure hell. I tried to succinctly convey my DMV hell experience

I went through DMV hell because of NDR. I couldn't renew my license until I took care of out of state tickets. "Where do I owe ticket" "Massachusets" "That's it?" " Yes". So I paid a Mass ticket from the early 90's. I went back to DMV and showed proof that I paid. "Can I get my license" "No, you need to take care of a Rhode Island ticket from 1991" "I wish you told me that when I asked last time" :censored: So I paid the RI ticket. I went to DMV- "you still need to take care of this RI ticket". "I did" "Its not showing up in computer". So I go home and call RI- they tell me "you are all set- its marked as paid" Back to DMV "no, its still not paid in RI". On and on like this for a couple weeks. I called RI DMV every day, and dealt with the same person. After about 20 trips to DMV I offered the phone number of the RI person I had been dealing with. "no, we have our own numbers". After DMV was on hold for 20 minutes "can I get that number?". Finally after a lengthy phone call they figured out that it was marked as paid in RI, but not on the registry. Pure hell. I tried to succinctly convey my DMV hell experience

Ugh. That's why I'm hoping to get something in writing (the clearance letter) asap.

Update: Finally broke through to the NJ DMV by calling different numbers until I actually spoke to an air-breather. They found me in the system. Two unpaid tickets from January 1993. One - Taillight wasn't working; two - failure to produce a document (I had no proof of insurance - primarily because I had no insurance).

These are so old, that they aren't in the NJ computer system. I spoke to the municipal court of the county where the infractions occurred. She has to put them into the system, then I'll be charged the 1996 amounts for those tickets (that's as far back as they can go).

Current day fines for those infractions are $47/each. So, I'm hoping they'll be substantially lower. I will also have to pay a $100 restoration fee, I believe.

Mine were 91-92 in NY. There was no restoration fee then...hope its the same for u

Update: Finally broke through to the NJ DMV by calling different numbers until I actually spoke to an air-breather. They found me in the system. Two unpaid tickets from January 1993. One - Taillight wasn't working; two - failure to produce a document (I had no proof of insurance - primarily because I had no insurance).

These are so old, that they aren't in the NJ computer system. I spoke to the municipal court of the county where the infractions occurred. She has to put them into the system, then I'll be charged the 1996 amounts for those tickets (that's as far back as they can go).

Current day fines for those infractions are $47/each. So, I'm hoping they'll be substantially lower. I will also have to pay a $100 restoration fee, I believe.

So the fine amounts I was looking at were actually from 2003. I got the call back from the court and the fines ended up being $44/each. I paid them online and had to pay a $2 processing fee for each, for a grand total of $92.00.

Now I need to pay the restoration fee of $100. Since I'm not in their system, technically, I can't do that online, so I need to snail mail it. But the woman I've been dealing with was kind enough to let me put it directly to her attention so it can be expedited and she's even going to call me when she gets it.

I've always blanketed people from NJ as being !@#$s ... but this lady has been awesome.

Speed is a drug. Speed kills.

Please do not wear a helmet.

Have you seen any black helicopters hovering over your house?

Queue "Gimme Shelter."

Speed is a drug. Speed kills.

Please do not wear a helmet.

I love you, too, oh round one.

Heading to DMV to get my permit. NJ DMV has reinstated my driving privileges after 20+ years of not knowing I didn't already have that privilege.

If there's a lesson to be learned ... pay your tickets, even if you think you'll never go back to the state you're in. Big bro will get ya.

Peace out!

i am glad it wasn't as big of a hassle as it could have been....like i said, i was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was for me to get it cleared up, could have been exponentially worse, but it wound up being a very minor inconvenience

Heading to DMV to get my permit. NJ DMV has reinstated my driving privileges after 20+ years of not knowing I didn't already have that privilege.

If there's a lesson to be learned ... pay your tickets, even if you think you'll never go back to the state you're in. Big bro will get ya.

Peace out!

i am glad it wasn't as big of a hassle as it could have been....like i said, i was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was for me to get it cleared up, could have been exponentially worse, but it wound up being a very minor inconvenience

If it wasn't for the time sensitivity (my motorcycle course is the weekend of 4/19 and I needed my permit to be able to take the course), this would have been completely stress-free. All in all, it wasn't too bad.

They can also put u on there if u don't turn in plates if u move out of state...or so they told me

Huh? Who do you turn plates into...? I had my car when I was in Minnesota, moved to Wisconsin, and still have the MN plates in my trunk...

I was pulled over for speeding once and given a ticket (with WI plates), and the MN officer never said anything.

pretty sure you can mail them back, and that's only what they told me, i don't know how stringent they are on that rule...maybe if your plates expire it doesn't matter, but if you get new plates while another set are current, that could be what they meant

Huh? Who do you turn plates into...? I had my car when I was in Minnesota, moved to Wisconsin, and still have the MN plates in my trunk...

I was pulled over for speeding once and given a ticket (with WI plates), and the MN officer never said anything.

pretty sure you can mail them back, and that's only what they told me, i don't know how stringent they are on that rule...maybe if your plates expire it doesn't matter, but if you get new plates while another set are current, that could be what they meant

Must be based on state. Found this on Minnesota's page at DMV.org (not official) ( http://www.dmv.org/m...e-surrender.php )

Moving from MN

You do not have to surrender your license plates to the DVS after moving out of Minnesota. You can keep as souvenirs or dispose of as you wish.