Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

I'm not advocating trading Byrd but I would rather trade him than lose him for nothing. I know it's not the same but use the NBA as the guide. The Nuggets put themselves in much better position in dealing Carmelo than the Cavs with LeBron. Ideally, both teams would have liked to have kept their star players but if its not going to happen you better not be left empty handed.

I don't get all the talk about losing Byrd for nothing. Unless something has changed that im not aware of they can always franchise him again next year

I'm tired of the revolving door and losing good players but this team is in rebuilding mode again so if the could get two high picks I'd be all for it. In saying that they hv no shot at getting a first and a second or third, just won't happen but I'd be happy with two seconds.

On another note Kirby Jackson was one of my favorite Bills. Was really good blitzing out of the slot and always seemed to make a play.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get all the talk about losing Byrd for nothing. Unless something has changed that im not aware of they can always franchise him again next year.

The thing is though that when you franchise tag a player for a second straight year, his franchise tag value increases to 120% of the first year franchise figure.

So the $6.96 million they are paying him for this year becomes $8.35 million next year.

And if they were to apply the tag for a 3rd consecutive year, it goes to 144% of the first year which would be over $10 million.

It can and has been done but teams (and the player) for different reasons prefer a long term deal.

Yeah, the 2 seconds mentioned in the article would not be enough for me. You would have to think about a 1 & 3 though.

We have no knowlege if talks have occurred on a new deal & if they have whether the Bills think they can get something done.

If any team is stupid enough to give us a first round pick for Byrd, the Bills would be insane not to jump all over it.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Look at it like this would you trade Byrd for Matt Elam, Robert Woods and about $4-$5M in cap space? That would be the 2 2nds. If he isn't going to sign long term you have to get value back. If he is going to sign then keep him.

I worked for the New Orleans Hornets during the Chris Paul saga and that's how it played out. He was presented a max contract extension and told he can sign it or he would be traded. They weren't going to be left with their pants down.

If we were to get a 1st and a 3rd or better I'd do it in a heartbeat. Do I want to lose Byrd? Absolutely not. But let's be honest. A long term deal for Byrd probably means signing him to a contract making him the highest paid Safety in the league. With a NEW young coach and a NEW defensive gameplan, I'd take what I can get for him instead of not being able to sign long term or lose him for nothing. It helps out future with young draft picks and it clears up a ton of cap room.

I agree with this. If you've got a 1 & 3 on the table for a guy who wants a levitrian contract & doesn't want to be here it's hard to turn your nose up at that. A Byrd in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and you're getting 2 guys, so that's fair, & their combined salary won't come close to his. I'm just saying, you could do a lot worse.

I agree with this. If you've got a 1 & 3 on the table for a guy who wants a levitrian contract & doesn't want to be here it's hard to turn your nose up at that. A Byrd in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and you're getting 2 guys, so that's fair, & their combined salary won't come close to his. I'm just saying, you could do a lot worse.

Brandon's version of Moneyball.

Levitrian?

A Byrd in the hand?

:thumbsup:

I don't get all the talk about losing Byrd for nothing. Unless something has changed that im not aware of they can always franchise him again next year

As already as stated by SJBF, when you franchise a player for consecutive years the % of pay goes up.

And just as simple as it would be to franchise Byrd over and over, it's just as simple for him to sit out, refuse to sign the tag, and hold out for an extended period of time.

He will be the highest paid safety in the league when his contract is done. Regardless if its with the Bills or after a trade with another team, he WILL be the highest paid safety in the league.

Dashon Goldson just received $8.25 million as a FA for 5 years. SF could have used the franchise tag on him but did not http://www.nfl.com/n...-4125m-contract

In 2012 Goldson did get the franchise tag " If Goldson receives an offer from another team, the 49ers would have the right to match the offer. If they choose not to match the offer, San Francisco would receive two first-round draft choices as compensation. The franchise tender will provide Goldson with a one-year guaranteed contract equivalent to the average of the top five highest paid players at his position each year, over the last five seasons." http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/franchise-roundup-dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-gets-franchise-tag

No other team will give up (2) 1st rd picks plus a high salary when they can just draft someone for alot less.

Edited by independent

No. Let me think about that...no.

The Bills put the tag on with such speed that I have to assume they want a little more than simply trading him away for...two second round picks? Really? They think that a two time Pro Bowl player is worth two second round picks? I wouldn't do it for a 1st and third either, I'd say at least two first round picks.

Also, as pointed out before, the Bills have a BIG hole at safety already. Whether or not Seacry is ready to take over is a big question mark. To me, this would be like saying "Yeah, I know that we let go most of the receiving corps...I think we should trade Stevie Johnson."

You should continue to drink your kool-aid :-)

A Byrd in the hand is ALWAYS worth more than two in the bush.....

Byrd is an Associated Press (AP) ALL-PRO....that makes him one of the Top 4 safeties in the league.

what is the percentage of all first round draft choices that go on to become an AP ALL PRO ??

ANSWER: Of the 319 first-round picks taken in the last 10 years:

98 made at least one Pro Bowl (31 percent)

55 made multiple Pro Bowls (17 percent)

In other words, less than a third of "can't-miss" prospects selected in the first rounds of the last 10 NFL drafts have gone to even one Pro Bowl. The percentages for the higher ALL-PRO designation are even less.

STOP TRADING PROVEN TALENT FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE TALENT !!!!

Edited by papazoid

No. Let me think about that...no.

The Bills put the tag on with such speed that I have to assume they want a little more than simply trading him away for...two second round picks? Really? They think that a two time Pro Bowl player is worth two second round picks? I wouldn't do it for a 1st and third either, I'd say at least two first round picks.

Also, as pointed out before, the Bills have a BIG hole at safety already. Whether or not Seacry is ready to take over is a big question mark. To me, this would be like saying "Yeah, I know that we let go most of the receiving corps...I think we should trade Stevie Johnson."

only it's nothing like saying "Yeah, I know that we let go of the receiving corps... I think we should trade Stevie Johnson". He's on contract and not asking to be paid as the highest player of his position in the league. There's a difference.

2 2nds or a 1st and a 3rd would help solidify this offense or defense much more than it would be to just keep Byrd. And you'd free up some more cap space.

I don't want to lose Byrd but if we're talking about paying him too Safety money vs getting 2 early round draft picks, I'm probably taking the draft picks.

When will people learn that we sucked with all these guys, we can easily suck just as bad without them. I'm sure someone will say, "yeah, if we Didnt have these guys we would be more like a 2-14 team than a 7-9 team" and to that I say, why Didnt we trade these guys a long time ago? A 2-14 season would be refreshing to me. It would mean we are in actual "rebuilding" mode. It would mean we actually had a chance at the #1 QB in the draft coming up. It would mean we have basically 2 first round picks and an early 2nd. I wish we would tank this year in fact. There I said it. It's in the open. I want a real rebuild once and for all.

Edited by mrags

I think trading Byrd would actually make sense, since the Bills are probably hesitant to make him the highest paid S in the league...I also get the sense Byrd doesn't want to be in Buffalo.

However I think it would be very difficult to trade a guy who isn't under contract since he hasn't yet signed the franchise offer (impossible?)...The return probably wouldn't worth his actual value if they could even pull it off.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The big querstion is does Byrd want to stay in Buffalo.

I think the fact that he wants a long term deal tells us that he wouldnt mind staying.

This is the big test for the front office down at OBD. They need to step up and prove to us fans that they are serious about winning.

If they dont re sign Byrd, I will lose a lot of faith in the front office.

They let Levitre walk with the idea of using the money they saved from him going towards extending Byrd.

They need to suck up whatever pride they have and pay him.

He has proven he is worth the money.

CBF

Bare with me folks, but I was thinking on this Sunday that a trade for Byrd might occur on draft day. A lot of people are saying that we could trade our 8th pick for SF's 31st, 34th, and 61 so that SF can select Vaccaro if available. Some are saying that Jarius doesn't want to be a Bill, and his franchise tag would go up next year, so I ask. San Fran is looking for the sure thing piece that gets them the Super Bowl, wouldn't it make more sense to, instead of drafting Vaccaro at 8, to trade for a sure thing in Byrd? My questions are, is Byrd worth more than those picks from San Fran? Can the Bills afford to trade him if they think they have a real shot at the playoffs THIS YEAR? On another note, and again I'm just thinking out loud here, what about a trade to the Vikings for Mario, who are indeed looking for a stud DE to compliment Allen. My thoughts are, if the Bills are thinking to the future wouldn't it make sense to trade away this year, our top two defensive talents in an attempt to get MUCH better next year? Would the Vikings covet Mario, what would they pay for him? I understand a lot of you are pulling your hair out right now with me even suggesting this, but I think if you're planning for the future and you really have no shot at the playoffs this year, which is arguable, then why not unload Mario and Jarius if the reward means picking up three first round picks, and a slew of second and thirds?

Bare with me folks, but I was thinking on this Sunday that a trade for Byrd might occur on draft day. A lot of people are saying that we could trade our 8th pick for SF's 31st, 34th, and 61 so that SF can select Vaccaro if available. Some are saying that Jarius doesn't want to be a Bill, and his franchise tag would go up next year, so I ask. San Fran is looking for the sure thing piece that gets them the Super Bowl, wouldn't it make more sense to, instead of drafting Vaccaro at 8, to trade for a sure thing in Byrd? My questions are, is Byrd worth more than those picks from San Fran? Can the Bills afford to trade him if they think they have a real shot at the playoffs THIS YEAR? On another note, and again I'm just thinking out loud here, what about a trade to the Vikings for Mario, who are indeed looking for a stud DE to compliment Allen. My thoughts are, if the Bills are thinking to the future wouldn't it make sense to trade away this year, our top two defensive talents in an attempt to get MUCH better next year? Would the Vikings covet Mario, what would they pay for him? I understand a lot of you are pulling your hair out right now with me even suggesting this, but I think if you're planning for the future and you really have no shot at the playoffs this year, which is arguable, then why not unload Mario and Jarius if the reward means picking up three first round picks, and a slew of second and thirds?

Do you know anything about how football contracts work? Trading Mario Williams is completely unrealistic.

Do you know anything about how football contracts work? Trading Mario Williams is completely unrealistic.

Ya know on second thought I didn't know that the Vikings cap situation was as bad as it is. They only have 6 million left and they need to sign rookies, so yeah bad idea. Ok scratch the Mario thought process. :)