Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

Franchise for Byrd is $6.9 million next season, again for 2014 would be 20% more or $8.28 million compared to less then $1 million for a 1st rd draft pick. It's up to the FO and coaching staff to decide. I'am just a armchair GM with no input whatsoever.

First round picks make >$1,000,000/season?

Look at the Bills last 10 first rounds picks, how many of them would you trade for Byrd at the time they were drafted? The Bills have a less than stellar track record in regards to drafting, Nix has done better than his predecessors but what is the point of trading a known commodity for a maybe?

At some point the Bills have to retain their elite talent, Byrd needs to be resigned.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with those who say this is a crazy idea. For one - as mentioned - a team would have to give up a lot, and then pay a lot on top of that; especially at a time when there are a handful of promising safeties in the draft that can be had for pennies in comparison.

Here is a question that teams would have to ask themselves if they were considering making a trade for a player like Byrd. Do we want to pay for production or take a shot on potential? Now a team like San Francisco, who has been at the threshold of a championship for 2 years running now, has to consider their window of opportunity. I would think that Andy Reid and the Eagles feel unfulfilled, making it so many times to the NFC Championship game and even once to the Super Bowl to only come up short. They actually took on TO for this very reason.

Now a team like Dallas, with a control freak for an owner, who have consistently underachieved with their current star players for the last several years would also be considered as someone who would step forward for a Safety of Byrd's caliber before they have to start replacing some of their major pieces. Dallas is close to being a team that will be in a full blown rebuilding process in the next 2 to 3 years. Remember, it was Parcells and Sean Payton, really Payton, who came up with Romo, not Jerry Jones. When they have to replace Romo I believe they will be screwed because Jones doesn't have the intelligence or the talent that it takes to come up with a franchise QB. Their time is right NOW to have a legitimate shot of winning a championship because they won't be a serious threat for quite some time once the Romo & Co (Witten, Austin etc) are put out to pasture and don't think for a minute that Old Jerrah doesn't know or realize this.

2. 2013 2nd and 2014 1st(QB trade up capital)

I'd like to sign up for this please. I love Byrd but an extra 2nd this year and a 1st next year would be huge if we don't end up finding our QB this season which might be very likely.

1. WR Tavon Austin

1. WR Cordarrelle Patterson

2. TE Zack Ertz

:thumbsup:

yes please!!!

Man, I have to keep saying this, I love Byrd, but at the price he's going to command, this would set up our offense for the next 5+ years. Patterson, Austin, Ertz along with Stevie, Chandler, CJ, and an aging bet Freddy would be great.

Then trade 3rd and 4th to get back into the 2nd for Manuel, Bray, Glennon and you'd be all set.

Then move A. Williams or Brooks to FS or take a flyer on a guy like Woodson or Jammer for a year or 2 while you rebuild properly, for the first time in, well, since Jim Kelly played.

Trading Byrd would just be dumb. We have got to stop the revolving door for good players.

the thing we don't know is whether or not byrd wants to stay with the bills. the franchise tag this year is one thing and next year, at 120%m a completely different animal. i really like byrd, seems like he is a good person as well as a good player. actually, he may be a great player. he has always had the ballhawk label, dut in the last couple of years he has really grown in run support. he is a legitimate top 5 player at his position, i believe.

but the bottom line is this: if he wants to be here then make it happen, he'll be worth a big contract. if he doesn't want to be here or wants to be the highest paid player in the league, i think you have to trade him for what you can get.

IMO it would be a dumb trade. I mean you trade Bird and then draft his replacement, how does that improve the team?

Maybe if you sign Kerry Rhodes, a guy who understands the system it would make sense.

in a way it improves the team by eliminating the guesswork, stress and worry. is he? isn't he? will he? won't he?

no! it's done, we're going this way, follow me.

trust me when i say that i want byrd to be a bill for a long time to come. but realistically, if he's not going to be a bill after next year anyway, i'd rather get some kind of compensation for him now than looking at him walk away and scratch my head as he goes.

To the fairly popular suggestion that the Niners would be interested in Byrd in a trade, keep in mind that the Niners opted not to pay one of their own star safeties, Dashon Goldson who left as a free agent and signed a 5-year, $41.25 million contract ($22 million guaranteed) with Tampa Bay.

Goldson, like Byrd is also one of the NFL's top safeties (the only safety Donte Whitner rated ahead of Byrd) and the Niners saw fit to let him walk. I'd be very skeptical that the Niners would have an interest in Byrd considering it would cost them a huge contract and two high draft picks.

The other team being bandied about, the Dallas Cowboys, are in salary cap hell partly due to an unfair penalty assessed to them by the NFL.

I understand the discussion about the trading of Byrd but I'm not sure that a trade market exists for him.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Dashon Goldson , $8.25 million a year for 5 years. Byrd is looking at that FA contract. SF could not trade him before he walked, that's why the bills need to re-sign good players before there contract ends.

Edited by independent

You don't trade a proven, young player like Byrd. Plain and simple. You just don't do it. He's elite. His replacement will be a huge question mark. I won't even take a 1st and a 2nd.

You don't trade a proven, young player like Byrd. Plain and simple. You just don't do it. He's elite. His replacement will be a huge question mark. I won't even take a 1st and a 2nd.

i am not advocating trading byrd for the sake of trading him. i am just hoping that he doesn't walk away and we are left with nothing but a gaping hole and hard feelings.

Edited by swnybillsfan

I'm not advocating trading Byrd but I would rather trade him than lose him for nothing. I know it's not the same but use the NBA as the guide. The Nuggets put themselves in much better position in dealing Carmelo than the Cavs with LeBron. Ideally, both teams would have liked to have kept their star players but if its not going to happen you better not be left empty handed.

I'm not advocating trading Byrd but I would rather trade him than lose him for nothing.

The people dismissing a Byrd trade need to understand this point and also the possibility that Byrd might not want to remain with the Bills.

Is he likely to accept a "hometown discount?" I doubt it.

Will he take the Levitre route and go highest bidder? It's certainly possible.

Do the Bills want to make him the highest-paid safety in the NFL based on a multi-year contract? That is the question.

The people dismissing a Byrd trade need to understand this point and also the possibility that Byrd might not want to remain with the Bills.

Do the Bills want to make him the highest-paid safety in the NFL based on a multi-year contract? That is the question.

well said SJBF. And that's the point. If your not willing and or able to meet the above questions then your better off trading him for as much as you can get before he becomes disgruntled and leaves in his own or holds out for nothing.

To add a thought, the best way to make a player want to stay with the team is to build a winning program.

There's a possibility that Byrd is somewhat predisposed to leaving the Bills after this season BUT that he's open-minded and taking a wait-and-see approach.

Eight months from now after a 9-7 season where the Bills went 6-2 in the second half of the season and showed substantial improvement, there would be an increased likelihood of Byrd signing a long term deal with the club, IMO.

Only in that scenario might he even entertain a hometown discount.

To add a thought, the best way to make a player want to stay with the team is to build a winning program.

There's a possibility that Byrd is somewhat predisposed to leaving the Bills after this season BUT that he's open-minded and taking a wait-and-see approach.

Eight months from now after a 9-7 season where the Bills went 6-2 in the second half of the season and showed substantial improvement, there would be an increased likelihood of Byrd signing a long term deal with the club, IMO.

Only in that scenario might he even entertain a hometown discount.

Absolutely. One of the advantages in franchising him is for him to spend a year with Pettine and in this attacking defense. He may love it, depending on how well we play and how much pressure we put on the QB, which obviously, substantially, affects the balls flying through the secondary.

I'd like to sign up for this please. I love Byrd but an extra 2nd this year and a 1st next year would be huge if we don't end up finding our QB this season which might be very likely.

yes please!!!

Man, I have to keep saying this, I love Byrd, but at the price he's going to command, this would set up our offense for the next 5+ years. Patterson, Austin, Ertz along with Stevie, Chandler, CJ, and an aging bet Freddy would be great.

Then trade 3rd and 4th to get back into the 2nd for Manuel, Bray, Glennon and you'd be all set.

Then move A. Williams or Brooks to FS or take a flyer on a guy like Woodson or Jammer for a year or 2 while you rebuild properly, for the first time in, well, since Jim Kelly played.

yeah but that makes too much sense.