Nix not sure on levitre or fitz

hooper

Makes you wonder if they regret signing Mario and Anderson now that Dave is gone and they are now hamstringing our salary cap.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/27/2906144/buffalo-bills-mark-anderson-contract-details

According to the above article, Anderson will make 2.5M this year., If we do cut him, then our cap hit will be 4.5M of the remaining pro-rated bonus. If the Bills want to save that 2.5M for another player, then they could cut him after June1st and amortize that bonus over the next two seasons. I definitely think this is manageable. Also, Anderson may actually have a good role in Pettine's defense.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were some people in the organization that were very unhappy during that recent period where Buddy started running his yap too much.

He was told to put a sock in it and has been doing a pretty solid churchmouse imitation since then.

Yes, I heard that as well.

Did Whaley have any influence on that?

From what I understand, it came from higher up than that.

It wasn't an ongoing problem and they had no issues with anything in particular he said earlier.

But there came a stretch during last season when his tendency to tell it like he sees it got a little over the top and it rubbed some folks the wrong way.

My understanding was that his frank-ness regarding his desire to draft a QB wasn't exactly met with enthusiasm.

$3M or $7M this year, either way it isn't in the upper tier of QB pay by a long-shot. I think that many here are over-board in their criticism of the "HUGE" contract that the Bills signed Fitz to. Fitz' contract places him on the lower end of pay for starting QBs - about commensurate with his production. Now, if one wants to quibble that he is still over-paid, I wouldn't argue, but the Bills had a strategy to build the rest of the team (with focus on D) and "live' with Fitz until a better option could be had. Of course, the D hasn't played to the level expected, but I do think that there is a good level of talent there to be harvested by better coaching.

While Levitre is a very good player, he is going to command $8+M per year on the open market. You can't just shell out that kind of jack without considering what else you could buy for a similar of just a bit higher price. What if they could get 2 decent starting LBs for that same price? What if they could get a very good starting RT for 25% more? Would either of those options be better than re-signing Levitre?

To be clear, I think Levitre has done everything that they've asked at a high level. He deserves to make a very good buck in FA. Whether he is the Bills' best option this year is open for debate.

Thank you. Thank you.

Best post I have seen on this subject.

Yes Fitzaster is many things. Unusually overpaid and a burden to the Cap is not one. He is paid like lower tier starting QB. A 3M roster bonus is peanuts in QB contracts.

Bills fans are just unfamiliar with modern QB contracts because they have never experienced one. Ever in the history of the Bills.

When it comes to Levitre I am on the side of the debate that would like to see him resigned and in Red White and Buffalo Bill Blue.

However it is prudent for the Bills to consider other options at LG. (Which begs the recursive argument of why draft a Guard in the early second round at all. When he lives up to his draft position then you let him walk because you do not want to pay him as a top Guard in the league? A wasted pick either way)

Edited by Why So Serious?

that was my piece. most AP stories espn posts on its websites includes a standing feature profiling their own writers. that's their perogative, and i'm fine with that. hey, they help pay my wages.

as for a question regarding the bills being handcuffed by the cap. even at $19 million in space, that is not a lot of money. take into account their rookie draft picks and two mid-range free-agent additions and half of that cap space is just about eaten up.

let's keep in mind that most teams, including the bills, like to keep space open through the summer and also through the season.

and when it comes to spending to the cap, the bills must also keep room if they intend to attempt to extend player contracts during the season.

jw

I see no reason for Fitzpatrick to restructure.

He is done here, it's just a matter of when he gets replaced. He might not even win the competition. He might not even get a fair shot to win it. The team keeps talking about getting their franchise QB (meaning they don't have one).

Fitzpatrick sees himself as a starter in this league (whether fans agree or not). From his perspective, the Bills can pay him the $$ he feels he has earned, or they can release him and he can try to sign on with a team that gives him a realistic chance to start, like Arizona (where he has a home).

If I were Fitz I would stand pat. Why would he take a paycut to end up on the bench anyway?

From the Bills perspective, they are going to need to take a hit on the cap when they part ways. Might as well get it out of the way now in a season that looks like it's going to be a tough one. Take the medicine now and go into next year with a lot of room.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Letting Fitz go will make a lot of people happy & won't bother many. See ya Fitz.

For the first time in a long time we seem to have a pretty decent Oline. It would be a shame to lose a competent lineman at at this stage. But, relatively speaking Fitz is making outrageous money for his talent so I think I would rather over pay a lineman as apposed to Fitz

Edited by Dante

No

No

It wasn't an ongoing problem and they had no issues with anything in particular he said earlier.

But there came a stretch during last season when his tendency to tell it like he sees it got a little over the top and it rubbed some folks the wrong way.

Simon, since you don't want to provide a link, care to share how you have come to this conclusion?

Well it's easy to throw stones now. What would you have done differently? If your ask me Fitz is being a bit of a prick to the only GM who thought he was worth paying.

PTR

If this is true, Nix should publicly out him. Just come out and say "we wanted Fitz to rework his contract and free up money for Levitre, but apperantly unlike QB's such as Brady, he puts himself before the team. We hope he enjoys holding a clipboard this year." For what its worth, I would not cut Fitz because we save so little against the cap, although we may gain "real cash" that could be used somehow. I'm not even close to an expert in Fitz's deal relating to the cap.

Edited by RyanC883

If I could only afford Levitre or Fitz (at present salary) I would keep Levitre. Go for a qb in 2014 or 2nd rd this, T Jax is on the payroll, use him

As far as Fitz is concerned, I don't think the determining factor in keeping him is his salary. I believe it is his lack of ability to play QB at the NFL level. I think the organization is coming to the conclusion that most of us fans have had for a long time, and that is that Fitz needs to go. If he does not restructure, he will definitely be cut. But even if he is amenable to a restructure, I think (and hope) that his days are numbered in Buffalo.

As for Levitre, I am not sure why everyone is up in arms about letting him walk. Who in their right mind would pay an above average left guard at least 8 million a season? That is crazy. He is not a roadgrader, and gets blown back occasionally in pass protection. Yes he is durable, and can get out and block in space. But I think that Marrone wants a little different type of blocker on his line. And combining that with Levitre's asking price makes him expendable.

I predict by the time training camp comes along most of us will have forgotten about Levitre. He is only a guard. He is emminently replacable by a less expensive player. Everyone stay calm.

But I think that Marrone wants a little different type of blocker on his line.

People keep repeating this without any proof of it being the case.

Ferguson and Moore from the Jets O-line are both more mobile blockers and not road graders.

Also, West Coast Offenses (which the Bills will be running) usually employ quicker, more mobile O-linemen.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

He was told to put a sock in it and has been doing a pretty solid churchmouse imitation since then.

For some reason I saw this and am thinking this is good news regarding the Levitre negotiation. People are freaking out over the lack of information and hanging on to Levitre's last statement several days back as reason to move closer to the edge. Maybe silence is a good thing and is intentional as you say.

Perhaps we will wake up the next few mornings with the successive news of Fitz being kicked to the curb and Levitre signed to a 5 yr/$40 MM w/15MM guaranteed.

No

Whaley not having a say kind of surprises and disappoints me as I thought he is slowly taking charge.

Simon, since you don't want to provide a link, care to share how you have come to this conclusion?

You new around here ? :D

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Levitre has a degree in Finance and Sociology.

Interesting feel free to speculate on how that will effect his decision to enter Free Agency.

People keep repeating this without any proof of it being the case.

Ferguson and Moore from the Jets O-line are both more mobile blockers and not road graders.

Also, West Coast Offenses (which the Bills will be running) usually employ quicker, more mobile O-linemen.

Levitre is not mobile?

He seems to pull pretty well.

He played on that fast Oregon State offense.

I wouldn't call Andy a road grader.

So I'm not sure how Andy Levitre wouldn't fit in West Coast offense.

Levitre is not mobile?

He seems to pull pretty well.

He played on that fast Oregon State offense.

I wouldn't call Andy a road grader.

So I'm not sure how Andy Levitre wouldn't fit in West Coast offense.

Paup said that he believes Marrone wants bigger, more physical blockers than Levitre.

I questioned that belief saying that like Levitre was more mobile and not a Road Grader.

I'm saying Levitre would be a good fit for the Bills offense, based on his attributes and the kind of offense the team will run.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Sorry man, the only thing you've got to go on is my word. If that's not good enough, I understand and that is fine.

But it's all I'm willing to give.

Well it's easy to throw stones now. What would you have done differently? If your ask me Fitz is being a bit of a prick to the only GM who thought he was worth paying.

PTR

OK, so if your boss came up to you and asked you to take a paycut to make room for another position in your division, you would have no problem doing so? Don't be a hypocrite.