Don Banks Post Combine Mock - Geno Smith

Bronc24

I don't see how a couple of those teams will pass on taking a QB with their first pick. We're not the only one who needs an upgrade at the position.

If KC completes trade for Alex Smith, they won't be drafting a QB. In fact, even if trade didn't go thru, I can't see them using 1st pick on any of these QBs. It would possibly benefit the Bills more if Arizona traded for A. Smith.

I don't see how a couple of those teams will pass on taking a QB with their first pick. We're not the only one who needs an upgrade at the position.

easy.. The teams in front of us have even more desperate needs at other positions AND Those players in the top 7 in front of us are all graded higher the Geno on the boards

KC will acquire Smith.

Jaguars won't reach for a QB at the #2 spot with some very big talent to be had there at DL, OL, CB

Oakland has Palmer and Tyrelle Pryor waiting in the wings whom they used a 3rd rd pick in the 2011 supplemental draft. Not to mention Oak has needs at Cb and DL.

Philly won't reach and have a 1st rd rookie QB on the roster. Re-signing Vick sends the signal they aren't going to use their 1st rd pick on a QB> they will also be in solid position for a a QB in the 2nd rd

Detroit is set at QB

Cleveland could be a possible destination for Geno, but have needs and a good chance Cleveland will have a top pick of the 2nd tier QB's in round #2

Arizona must address its OT situation

It's looking more and more like Geno to the BIlls at # 8 has a damn good chance of happening

Knowing that the Jags, Oakland, Philly, Cleveland, and Arizona might be interested in a QB in rd 2 and all wil pick before the Bills it means if the Bills wait till later they WILL HAVE TO TRADE BACK INTO THE 1st

Geno is worthy of a 1st rd pick, but grade wise #8 is about the earliest he will land

Edited by Snorom

I am not sold on Geno, but if we must use first pick on QB and he is available I reluctantly agree with selection. If we do draft Geno- lets draft Tavon in the second!

I think he has all the tools but he definitely has some faults as well. However, I just want the Bills to do something different to fix the QB position. They tried everything - trades, FAs, low draft picks. Just draft a guy high for once with talent and hope he is the guy. And since you aren't cripple with insane rookie salaries, draft another guy next year if he fails. But just do something.

tumblr_ly4aqa6F731r787a6o1_500.gif

:w00t:

Doug Marrone saw a lot of film on Geno playing against him in the Pinstripe Bowl...

Sadly, Geno's past 8 games--including the Pinstripe Bowl/Senior Bowl have raised questions about his play

His guy was pretty bad as well. Maybe he thinks he can coach Smith up better than he has been. And 75% of his starts were very good ones. Don't overlook that.

Also, Matt Barkley threw 6 tds against Cuse this year. Marrone must remember that.

Doug Marrone saw a lot of film on Geno playing against him in the Pinstripe Bowl...

Sadly, Geno's past 8 games--including the Pinstripe Bowl/Senior Bowl have raised questions about his play

Not really.. Geno had a horrible D to depend on at WVU, and he was forced into gunslinger mode just to keep WVU in games

even during those last 8 games he had a high completion % and didn't' turn the ball over.

I agree that his play durng that stretch has kept him from #1 overall, but look at QB's who have been drafred around the #8 position. Geno compares favorably over the Locker;'s Ponders and Tannenhills.

WVU was ranked 108 in total defense, behind teams like the UB

http://www.ncaa.com/...nt/team/1042/p3

Even so their passing attack and point scored was 10th overall in spite of such a horrible D

Also Geno did well in the Bowl game. better then Nassib did, but the fact is WVU defense couldn't get off the field losing by 13 minutes in time of possession

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323640183

Edited by Snorom

Not really.. Geno had a horrible D to depend on at WVU, and he was forced into gunslinger mode just to keep WVU in games

even during those last 8 games he had a high completion % and didn't' turn the ball over.

I agree that his play durng that stretch has kept him from #1 overall, but look at QB's who have been drafred around the #8 position. Geno compares favorably over the Locker;'s Ponders and Tannenhills.

Geno actually had a much better career than those 3 and it wasn't really even close.

I can see Buffalo going after Barkley before they do Geno Smith - and I'm all for it! I think Barkley is going to be, without a doubt, the best QB taken in this draft (at least, until guys with ''potential'', like Bray, have time to develop). I also agree with the posts that suggest Buffalo needs to just take the chance and draft a QB high (so long as Smith or Barkley are there), because we've seen what the past 20 years have been like without a good QB; with the drop in rookie salaries, a team in need of a QB should be drafting one high every year until it works, and even the teams with good QB's should be bringing in young prospects regularly.

I mean Geno Smith isn't the best QB prospect in the last 3 years. He isn't the worst.

Its a worth a shot.

Personally I think his ceiling is much lower Colin Kapernick but I wouldn't hate Geno Smith being taken at #8.

Atleast they are trying.

Any chance Marrone doesn't want Smith?

I mean, Syracuse beat the guy 3 times in a row. Does it make sense that Marrone says something along the lines of "If I can beat the guy 3 times, then so can other people".

Of course, this could go the other way: Marrone probably has a better personal knowledge of Smith than anybody else in the NFL, and if he likes him, peharps that means he pushes to get him?

I don't know the history/never watched the games. Anybody with better knowledge have any insight on this angle?

For what it’s worth, I saw on TV last night that the Raiders are very interested in Geno and he’s on their short list @ #3 overall, even with Palmer and Pryor on the roster.

I highly doubt the Raiders pick Geno Smith. They are a team devoid of talent and they just lost Richard Seymour. They have no 2nd round pick this year. They need to hit on their 1st and 3rd round picks badly and will probably wait to look at next year's QBs since they will no doubt be picking top 5 again. That would be a disaster scenario for Smith.

I can see Buffalo going after Barkley before they do Geno Smith - and I'm all for it! I think Barkley is going to be, without a doubt, the best QB taken in this draft (at least, until guys with ''potential'', like Bray, have time to develop). I also agree with the posts that suggest Buffalo needs to just take the chance and draft a QB high (so long as Smith or Barkley are there), because we've seen what the past 20 years have been like without a good QB; with the drop in rookie salaries, a team in need of a QB should be drafting one high every year until it works, and even the teams with good QB's should be bringing in young prospects regularly.

Saying that Barkley is going to be "without a doubt" the best QB taken in the draft is a fact less statement. USC QB's of late Palmer, Leinhert and Sanchez is something that should be a concern when looking at Barkley.

Just watch reruns of the Pinstripe Bowl plus about every other game Smith played this year after October. Kid looked horrible. No thanks, Mr. Banks.

Seriously?

Nov-Dec he had

67% completion pct.

16 TDs vs 4 INTs

7.9 YPA

He led the offense to over 30 points in 5 of the 8 games you're referring to. 49 in the game against a clearly better Oklahoma team.

When will this lunacy stop?

I'm a little biased because I like Geno...

But I think the Bills are in a VERY unique position in this Draft compared to almost any other team...Not only do they have a piss poor starter, but they are a Franchise that has ignored the QB position in the Draft since Trent Edwards in 2007 (Yes, I'm not counting Levi Brown at #209 overall)...So the Bills not only have poor starting talent, they have no developmental young depth either...

I think due to those facts, if the Bills have an opportunity to take the guy who some Scouts feel is clearly the #1 QB in the 2013 Draft, they have to take him... Geno has huge upside...He's a thrower 1st, but he has unique athletic ability for a QB...He's got all the tools you want in an NFL QB...He loves football and is a real hard worker...Despite his well documented struggles at times, he put up crazy good numbers...You simply cannot ignore some of his numbers, especially the 71.2% completions as a Sr...If Maronne and Hackett are as good as we all hope they are, I have no doubt they can turn Geno into a decent NFL QB...

As far as Drafted QB's go I agree 100% with Eli Manning when he basically said the situation you enter into (what team, the coaches, the talent around you) is the key component to success or failure in the NFL long-term...So I also realize all to well that based on this Franchises recent history, Geno is at risk to be a bust in Buffalo...It could happen no question...Some Scouts do worry that Geno hangs his head a bit too much when things are going bad...But at this point of Bills history, I think the potential rewards far outweigh the risks...

I just don't see how The Bills could pass Geno at #8...But this is a Buddy Nix run Football operation...So...We'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Seriously?

Nov-Dec he had

67% completion pct.

16 TDs vs 4 INTs

7.9 YPA

He led the offense to over 30 points in 5 of the 8 games you're referring to. 49 in the game against a clearly better Oklahoma team.

Yea I'm calling shenanigans on what he was claiming about Geno looking horrible.

Seriously?

Nov-Dec he had

67% completion pct.

16 TDs vs 4 INTs

7.9 YPA

Maybe around the same time people stop bringing up USC's QB history as if it's somehow relevant to what kind of QB Barkley will or won't be.

The only way we can possibly pass on geno is if the gameplan is to tank next season so we can draft one of the more talented QBs next year. That's most likely not the case. If he's there, he has to be a Bill, unless they like another QB more. Looking at this class, I can't see that happening. Great arm with good mobility. He's at least twice as good as fritz,

Maybe around the same time people stop bringing up USC's QB history as if it's somehow relevant to what kind of QB Barkley will or won't be.

That's how some morons think. Don't let it frustrate you. Just be happy that you have some common sense, and don't think a QBs future is dependent on where he went to college. Sad that some people can be so closed minded, but it is what it is.

That's a fair statement. I think what you can bring up about USC is that their recruiting power gives a QB weapons (and protection) that aren't at hand for a lot of college QBs, and that the polish there might indicate a lower ceiling. In other words, WYSIWYG. But you make a fair point, and these players are really individuals on their own trajectories, in the same way that Aaron Rodgers shouldn't have been unfairly branded based on the history of Tedford-groomed QBs.

• 1 month later...