Matt Scott - QB - Arizona

So now inexperience and not being good enough to play ahead of Nick Foles is viewed as a positive ahead of 3 and 4 year starters?

But wait, neither of those guys threw up on the sidelines against USC. Now it makes sense.

After being the team's co-offensive MVP in 2010, he took a red shirt year because he had an extra year of eligibility and Foles did not. He was and still is being praised for having taken one for the team so that they could get the most of the time Foles and Scott had to give.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reminds me alot of Fitzpatrick!!!

Your joking. Right? Nothing about Matt Scott reminds me of Fitzpatrick.

Scott is very athletic, accurate, has a very quick release and a stronger arm.

He is both fast and quick and decisive with the ball. He is a true dual threat.

He throws a nice spiral, usually hits his receivers in stride and has actually played

some good teams in college (Oregon, Stanford, USC to name a few) and won a bowl game in dramatic comeback fashion.

He has a normal sized head, his beard is trimmed, he is not of a fair complexion.

Now, what exactly reminds you of Fitzpatrick?

He has a much quicker release than Tebow. I see your points though about his sometimes wild and inaccurate throws. Maybe he could be coached up, unlike Tebow because it's hard to un-teach a horrible slow delivery such as Tebows'..I do like his toughness. He stands in there and takes the hit to complete a pass.

Matt Scott on a bad day is way more accurate than Tebow on a good one.

Edited by turftoe

watched 1 minute of nothing by short passes.... no thx, i'm sure TJ can at least do that, or did you not get enough of Fitz throwing those this past yr.

Watch some other videos. He can make longer throws but is very good on the intermediate ones.

Every video I saw of Matt Scott was of him being under constant duress and having to get rid of the ball quickly under heavy pressure.

The reason it appears to some that he's playing a helter skelter style is because he's generally running for his life.

Actually it seems to me that many of the top QB prospects this year had the misfortune of playing behind poor pass blocking offensive lines.

But Scott looks to ad lib and improvise very well under pressure. He has a live arm and a lightning delivery.

So far from what I've seen I love the kid.

That compact, snap release is gorgeous. It really allows him to rip it regardless of what position his feet are in. That alone will probably vault him into the 3rd-4th round. I think he would be a great project.

Every video I saw of Matt Scott was of him being under constant duress and having to get rid of the ball quickly under heavy pressure.

The reason it appears to some that he's playing a helter skelter style is because he's generally running for his life.

Actually it seems to me that many of the top QB prospects this year had the misfortune of playing behind poor pass blocking offensive lines.

But Scott looks to ad lib and improvise very well under pressure. He has a live arm and a lightning delivery.

So far from what I've seen I love the kid.

I agree with your assessment. I hope the Bills get him.

My understanding was that Wilson transferred to Wisconsin because the new coaching staff wanted to start Glennon...am I mistaken?

Yes you are. Wilson was playing baseball and was going to play pro (minor) ball. O'Brien told him he had to commit himself completely to football at NC State.... or be Glennon's backup. Wilson rightfully and politely said "blow me" and asked for his release. It was an incredibly bright decision on his part. Dumb move on O'Brien's part.

I'm finally excited about one of this year's QBs. It looks like he carried his team. There is plenty of proof of him coming through in the "clutch". I don't think there are any other QBs in this draft that meet either one of those criteria, let alone both. Then add in his arm strength, quick release, and accuracy... he is the only one without big question marks

///// Comparing System QBs \\\\\

I thought this was interesting comparing Rich Rod (Scott) vs. Dana Holgorsen (Geno).

Rich Rod had his most yards ever with Scott.

Holgorsen had his least with Geno.

Scott's numbers crushed any other of Rich Rod's QBs,

Geno's numbers were about the same as Holgorsen's other QBs. (did have lower INTs though)

[Total Offense] Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

=========

Rodriguez

=========

2001 WVU [345.7]

Brad Lewis 135 237 57.0 1339 5.6 4.5 7 9 106.6

2002 WVU [418.5]

Rasheed Marshall 139 259 53.7 1616 6.2 6.1 9 5 113.7

2003 WVU [368.9]

Rasheed Marshall 109 215 50.7 1729 8.0 7.8 15 8 133.8

2004 WVU [418.9]

Rasheed Marshall 144 242 59.5 1886 7.8 7.7 19 9 143.4

2005 WVU [388.9]

Pat White 65 114 57.0 828 7.3 6.7 8 5 132.4

2006 WVU [461.4]

Pat White 118 179 65.9 1655 9.2 8.9 13 7 159.7

2007 WVU [456.2]

Pat White 144 216 66.7 1724 8.0 8.4 14 4 151.4

2008 WVU [290.8]

Steven Threet 102 200 51.0 1105 5.5 4.9 9 7 105.3

2009 Mich [384.5]

Tate Forcier 165 281 58.7 2050 7.3 6.6 13 10 128.1

2010 Mich [488.7]

Denard Robinson 182 291 62.5 2570 8.8 8.4 18 11 149.6

2011 (didn't coach?)

2012 AZ [526.2]

Matt Scott 301 499 60.3 3620 7.3 7.1 27 14 133.5

=========

HOLGORSEN

=========

2008 Houston (OC) [562.8]

Case Keenum 397 589 67.4 5020 8.5 9.2 44 11 159.9

2009 Houston (OC) [563.4]

Case Keenum 492 700 70.3 5671 8.1 8.4 44 15 154.8

2010 Okla St (OC) [520.2]

Brandon Weeden 342 511 66.9 4277 8.4 8.6 34 13 154.1

2011 WVU [469.5]

Geno Smith 346 526 65.8 4385 8.3 8.9 31 7 152.6

2012 WVU [502.0]

Geno Smith 369 518 71.2 4205 8.1 9.2 42 6 163.9

Dude, I'm here almost everyday. I went back into the damn TSW archives. There was NO clamoring for drafting either of these two players PERIOD

By "no clamoring" I mean other than a few fans showing passionate support for the Bills drafting of either Kaepernick or Wilson.

It nice that you posted the college stats of these guys, but where was this fervor from you in April 2011 or April 2012? It's AMAZING the clarity you have now for these guys. You are basically saying "I told you so" even though you never actually really did tell us so before their respective drafts. The reality is that Matt Scott looks ever bit the NFL QB that Kaepernick and Wilson did when they were being evaluated.

That is complete and utter garbage. Pretty much everyone thought Russell Wilson was great at everything. He had no downsides or question marks except his height. He literally had it all. Great production, great mechanics, great smarts, leadership, wins, stats, cannon for an arm, could run and scramble, could read a defense, played great in two big conferences, great pedigree, great kid, professional baseball player.

That is complete and utter garbage. Pretty much everyone thought Russell Wilson was great at everything. He had no downsides or question marks except his height. He literally had it all. Great production, great mechanics, great smarts, leadership, wins, stats, cannon for an arm, could run and scramble, could read a defense, played great in two big conferences, great pedigree, great kid, professional baseball player.

You are right that the main issue the scouts had with Wilson was his height. In college he rarely had his passes tipped because he had an high overhand throwing motion and he was adept at finding the lanes to throw threw. The irony is that qbs who were half a foot taller than he was had more passes tipped and knocked down than the smaller, quicker and more intelligent qb did. Nix like a lot of other talent assessors were blinded by the measurables instead of focusing in on the production. I can understand why GMs were reluctant to take a risk on Wilson in the first or even second round, but not doing so after that was a major misjudgment.

The one thing you kept hearing attributed to NFL scouts about Russell Wilson BEFORE THE DRAFT was that if he were 4 inches taller, he'd be a Top 5 pick.

Shame on all the NFL decision makers for not believing the evaluations of their own scouts.

It was mentioned here COUNTLESS TIMES that Wilson had the tallest offensive line in college football at Wisconsin (average 6'6") and that he had zero problems with batted passes and zero problems seeing downfield.

Wilson's big problem was his height. Scott's big problem is his one year to judge him on. However with Kaepernick and Wilson's unreal fast success and with Scott's striking similarities to these two guys…Matt Scott is the best QB prospect in this class.

Yes, of course Scott is much rougher around the edges than was Wilson. He only started one year full time. But Scott's a gamer dude. He has everything Wilson had in terms of speed athleticism and arm. He also strikes me as a VERY strong competitor who hates to lose. IMO he will only need a year to smooth out his rough edges and I'm telling ay the guy will be a rock star QB for Buffalo just like Kaepernick and Wilson are for their teams. Patterson at #8 and Scott at #41 and lets roll...

Want another opinion? Search Matt Scott's name in google news and read the article "2013 NFL Draft: Matt Scott Prospect Profile" at Niners Nation (can't be posted here). The guy writes for a Superbowl team which has Kaepernick and yet still wants them to draft Scott in round three. This was his "PROS" for Scott…

Can run read option

Strong Arm

Goes through reads quickly

Pinpoint throws

Tough

BTW, I'm very glad to see some traction happening for the Bills drafting Matt Scott.