Matt Scott - QB - Arizona

"When the day was done a number of coaches were of the opinion Scott could actually sneak into the late part of round two."

http://www.draftinsi...et/blog/?p=6811

I know there are many posters here who have ignored Matt Scott being picked by the Buffalo Bills as a viable "franchise QB" option this coming draft. However after blowing up his pro day (see the links above by other posters), some of these fans who have ignored him had better start coming to realization that he will be picked ahead of Ryan Nassib.

It's funny to me how the "Ryan Nassib" thread has 39 pages and 60,000 views and this thread has a paltry 4 pages and less than 4,000 views, however Ryan Nassib is simply not a viable option for the Bills who are in pursuit of a true franchise QB. Matt Scott is that kind of a player, and until now he's been by far the most under rated player this draft season. He has the entire package, the ability to throw, AND has speed AND has athleticism, AND is very competitive.

I think guys like Barkley and Nassib are "old school" facades for what's really going on in the background. Teams want QBs like Smith, Manuel or Scott. Where they go is obviously a mystery. But there it is, someone has projected Matt Scott as possibly going in the 2nd round! This is something Bills fans should start paying close attention to.

It'll be interesting to see which quarterbacks go where.

Apparently (according to your link) Nassib also had an excellent Pro Day so his stock is unlikely to fall I think.

We're getting close fellas.

Only 48 more days till the draft!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting to see which quarterbacks go where.

Apparently (according to your link) Nassib also had an excellent Pro Day so his stock is unlikely to fall I think.

We're getting close fellas.

Only 48 more days till the draft!

Boy it sure will be interesting. Ya know, maybe I'm just OD'n on Kul-aid but damn...for some reason I've got a good feeling about our QB situation going forward. I just have that feeling we're gonna take someone in round 2....maybe even 3 and the player is gonna work out well for us. And...prior to that pic we'll land a difference maker....maybe a WR or a LB at # 8. Hope I'm right on this.

This should be good off season. And...I'm new here and I really appreciate all of the insight you guys bring. You guys know yer sh*t. I've learned a lot from all of you. Many thanks everybody.

jb

i never heard of him, but after watching the video, he looked good, nice release, a little brady-esque, maybe? if they dont reach on nassib, or glennon, etc, i would love him in the 4th.

Greg Cossel is from NFL films and watches a lot of tape. The attached link is Cossel commenting on him and other qbs. He is not impressed with Barkley.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000148892/Underrated-QBs-in-2013-NFL-Draft

Greg Cossel is from NFL films and watches a lot of tape. The attached link is Cossel commenting on him and other qbs. He is not impressed with Barkley.

http://www.nfl.com/v...-2013-NFL-Draft

After hearing his glowing review of Matt Scott (Russell Wilson, Drew Brees comparisons), it's weird that Dysert was the first one being talked about in the segment...LOL

Here is the best tape I can find on Scott, it's against USC. He has got good legs, though not nearly as good as Wilson, etc. Nothing wrong with his arm though and he runs better than the vast majority of current NFL starters. He nailed some tight windows in this game.

After hearing his glowing review of Matt Scott (Russell Wilson, Drew Brees comparisons), it's weird that Dysert was the first one being talked about in the segment...LOL

Ya know what ? Draft em both !! Or equivalent. We need a QB bad bad bad bad bad. Draft more than one is what I'm thinkin. I get corn-fused watching the film on QB's. They all look pretty darn good to me. Just find it Buffalo. Find it. Reverend Marrone I'm counting on you man !!

jb

Edited by jaybee

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline

Can confirm the Buffalo Bills will be bringing Matt Scott/QB/Arizona in for a visit...

That's great to hear.

I'm intrigued by this kid, a dark horse racing up draft boards.

It's a bit odd and quite exciting.

I'm new here and I really appreciate all of the insight you guys bring. You guys know yer sh*t. I've learned a lot from all of you. Many thanks everybody.

jb

Welcome aboard JB. Good having you.

Here is the best tape I can find on Scott, it's against USC. He has got good legs, though not nearly as good as Wilson, etc. Nothing wrong with his arm though and he runs better than the vast majority of current NFL starters. He nailed some tight windows in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81vkGTV0xxo

That was very impressive.

You could see that USC had the better athletes and had a constant pass rush on him and good coverage on the receivers.

The 4th quarter was very impressive. He made some throws into tight windows for sure and his receivers started making great catches for him, which often happens when players are inspired by their quarterback.

Talk about a quick-twitch athlete. His decision-making and reactions were always a split second faster than everyone elses.

I was very impressed.

He looks so much like former Ram Tony Banks throwing the ball.

He also has a relatively low completion percentage for being a relatively low yards per attempt guy. In that video he gets a number of passes tipped and throws quite a few bad passes.

That was Tony Banks problem in the NFL. He was eventually succeeded by Kurt Warner(after Trent Green injury) and Warner showed how a less impressive looking athlete and thrower could be a better player by being accurate and throwing a great deep ball.

He also has a relatively low completion percentage for being a relatively low yards per attempt guy. In that video he gets a number of passes tipped and throws quite a few bad passes.

That was Tony Banks problem in the NFL. He was eventually succeeded by Kurt Warner(after Trent Green injury) and Warner showed how a less impressive looking athlete and thrower could be a better player by being accurate and throwing a great deep ball.

I only watched about half of it and if I was Tony Banks I'd be offended right now.

That was a truly atrocious display of wayward deliveries.

You guys are crazy.

Scott was pretty much under constant pressure in that game and his receivers were usually well covered.

And Tony Banks? Banks was a slow ponderous player.

Scott plays like he's on amphetamines.

They couldn't be more different IMO.

I only watched about half of it and if I was Tony Banks I'd be offended right now.

I'm guessing you're referring to his footwork and unorthodox deliveries. He was a bit helter skelter but that was also due to the flow of the game. He had to be frenetic because he was playing on edge while leading his team to a 4th quarter comeback victory.

Funny how when you're great with questionable mechanics (Favre, Marino) no one questions you.

But when you're an unproven prospect you have happy feet and bad mechanics.

You guys are crazy.

Scott was pretty much under constant pressure in that game and his receivers were usually well covered.

And Tony Banks? Banks was a slow ponderous player.

Scott plays like he's on amphetamines.

They couldn't be more different IMO.

I'm guessing you're referring to his footwork and unorthodox deliveries. He was a bit helter skelter but that was also due to the flow of the game. He had to be frenetic because he was playing on edge while leading his team to a 4th quarter comeback victory.

Funny how when you're great with questionable mechanics (Favre, Marino) no one questions you.

But when you're an unproven prospect you have happy feet and bad mechanics.

I will give Scott credit for one thing; he doesn't get a whole lot of support from the team around him.

In fact I believe Trent Dilfer said something similar last year when he was breaking down the tape of Nick Foles. Basically the quote about Foles was "I have never seen a QB get so little help from his playmakers."

As far as I know, Foles and Juron Criner were the only 2 players drafted from that team so I would assume the majority of the receiving corps that hindered Foles also hindered Scott

Matt Scott at #18 Stanford, a game they lost in OT 48-45.

Again with very little time to throw. Interestingly this Rich Rod offense looks very similar to the offense the Bills ran last year. It required Scott to make very quick decisions and throw the ball quickly. To the credit of his receivers, they absorb a lot of punishment because the defense (like the Bills opponents) sit on the short routes and attack the receivers. His receivers were really selling out for the ball which is also a tribute to the QB.

Unlike Fitz, Scott has a very live arm and super quick delivery. He's accurate, can run very well and should be able to extend plays easily in the NFL.

He looks like he could play easily in a West Coast offense. I really like this kid.

Here's his Bowl game against Nevada.

They were down in this game 21-0 and then 45-28.

Scott led them to a last second victory with two TD passes in the last 1:20 of the game.

He had some problems with deep seam routes and fly routes when he didn't set his feet. These were patterns that weren't a big part of their offense but because they were trailing by a wide margin for most of this game, they tried going deep more often with mixed results.

I think with his arm strength that he should be able to really improve this part of his game.

I think Scott will be a superior red zone QB because he is a quick and decisive decision maker with a very fast delivery and good zip on his throws. He's very accurate and an excellent runner. I'm guessing the red zone percentage for Arizona must have been pretty damn good just based on these three games.

edit: Scott also seems to see the field very well, both because he appears to be able to see multiple levels and because he seems to understand where his passing lanes are on every play.

Scott has quite a bit of Johnny Manziel in his game although Scott knows when to slide while it seems like Manziel never slides.

Yeah it wasn't really good tape. He looks the part with the fluid throwing motion and quick release but the end result is a lot of inaccurate throws.

Here's his Bowl game against Nevada.

They were down in this game 21-0 and then 45-28.

Scott led them to a last second victory with two TD passes in the last 1:20 of the game.

He had some problems with deep seam routes and fly routes when he didn't set his feet. These were patterns that weren't a big part of their offense but because they were trailing by a wide margin for most of this game, they tried going deep more often with mixed results.

I think with his arm strength that he should be able to really improve this part of his game.

I think Scott will be a superior red zone QB because he is a quick and decisive decision maker with a very fast delivery and good zip on his throws. He's very accurate and an excellent runner. I'm guessing the red zone percentage for Arizona must have been pretty damn good just based on these three games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wj1ReW1YVU&feature=player_embedded

edit: Scott also seems to see the field very well, both because he appears to be able to see multiple levels and because he seems to understand where his passing lanes are on every play.

Scott has quite a bit of Johnny Manziel in his game although Scott knows when to slide while it seems like Manziel never slides.

As you accurately state, he doesn't show good deep ball accuracy. Can he improve? Maybe, maybe not. I brought up Tony Banks because he had nearly the exact same throwing motion and he produced the same kind of uneven results. In the college game Scott was able to give away some throws. In the NFL, the game is shorter and you need to be more consistent. And after years of Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick I think we have seen that you don't want a QB that can't get the ball downfield. Kurt Warner didn't have the arm of Tony Banks but he could drop the deep throws in a bucket and he threw a more catchable ball.

I live in Tucson and have seen Scott his entire career. He is really worth a shot in 3rd round. Can run, has a good arm. Decision making may be his weakness....based upon the system he was in. I saw him equal to Nick Foles.

I live in Tucson and have seen Scott his entire career. He is really worth a shot in 3rd round. Can run, has a good arm. Decision making may be his weakness....based upon the system he was in. I saw him equal to Nick Foles.

I would take a 3rd Round shot on the guy.