Should we trade for Ryan Mallett?

freester

I dont even need to read this thread to know the responses...

1. "Why would they trade him if he was any good" - because he will be a FA BEFORE Brady is done there and could lose him for nothing. In fact, Mallet will be 30 by the time Bradys contract ends, and he isnt going to want to wait until 30 to get a shot in the league. And with a weak QB class, NE could get the most value for him THIS YEAR.

2. "He's slow and a coke head" - First off, he has good foot work. Second off, he is faster than Montana, Brady, Manning, and a ton of other top lever QB's this team would kill for. Last I checked the vast majority of SB winning QB's were slow. So who cares. Second, he was RUMORED to have partying issues in college, yet has not had a single off field issue as a pro.

3. "NE got one over on us once, so why not again" - First, Bledsoe and Mallet are not even comparable...Bledsoe was a proven All Pro QB nearing the end of his career and was a good addition to this team at the time. Mallett is a young player with a very high ceiling, arguably an even stronger arm than even Bledsoe (and thats saying a lot) and was considered the best pure passer in a QB rich draft. Second, NE did not get one over on us, Bledsoe did a nice job for this team given the circumstances and his decline in ability. Third, many teams have traded for backups that were unproven and had great success...Farve, Schaub, Hasselbeck, etc. just like some teams have traded for guys that did not work out.

4. "We could have had him for a 3rd, why waste a 2nd" - That time is gone...Farve was a 2nd and was traded for a first...it happens all the time, get over it.

Bottom line is this...if you could spend a 2nd round pick on a questionable QB in this years class, or spend a 2nd round pick on what would be the highest rated QB in this draft class (Mallett) if he was in it and also has 2 years experience in an excellent culture like NE and learning behind someone like Brady, why the hell would you not do it?

Anyone who would rather see us use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy in this draft rather than use that same 2nd round pick on someone who in comparison to this class has much more potential, the biggest arm, best pure passer, and has 2 years experience behind Brady and learning in NE is just nuts.

Make this happen! I wanted him during the draft originally, but would really want him now. Trade our 2nd and then use the 1st on a WR or LB. That would be one hell of a start to the weekend.

1) No argument here

2) I think the slow thing is overhyped. he can move in the pocket. The partying stuff was more than rumors. Hes allegedly admitted to use.

From one article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/ryan-malletts-willingness-to-address-drug-use-seen-as-positive/

"One G.M. said Mallett was the first quarterback ever to admit his drug usage to him in interviews"

"Although Mallett did not produce an official positive test at Arkansas, he has been arrested for public intoxication and carries a reputation as a ‘big party guy,’ per sources who have interviewed him"

3) The bledsoe trade has nothing to do with this, i agree. To think they evaluated him as a future franchise qb and would give him to us relatively cheap does have to make you question his ability a little.

4) favre is true, but that team got a new gm between those years. i think the same guy that passed paying a premium with no new film is probably pretty rare. not a huge point of contention by any means.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. "Why would they trade him if he was any good" - because he will be a FA BEFORE Brady is done there and could lose him for nothing. In fact, Mallet will be 30 by the time Bradys contract ends, and he isnt going to want to wait until 30 to get a shot in the league. And with a weak QB class, NE could get the most value for him THIS YEAR.

2. "He's slow and a coke head" - First off, he has good foot work. Second off, he is faster than Montana, Brady, Manning, and a ton of other top lever QB's this team would kill for. Last I checked the vast majority of SB winning QB's were slow. So who cares. Second, he was RUMORED to have partying issues in college, yet has not had a single off field issue as a pro.

3. "NE got one over on us once, so why not again" - First, Bledsoe and Mallet are not even comparable...Bledsoe was a proven All Pro QB nearing the end of his career and was a good addition to this team at the time. Mallett is a young player with a very high ceiling, arguably an even stronger arm than even Bledsoe (and thats saying a lot) and was considered the best pure passer in a QB rich draft. Second, NE did not get one over on us, Bledsoe did a nice job for this team given the circumstances and his decline in ability. Third, many teams have traded for backups that were unproven and had great success...Farve, Schaub, Hasselbeck, etc. just like some teams have traded for guys that did not work out.

4. "We could have had him for a 3rd, why waste a 2nd" - That time is gone...Farve was a 2nd and was traded for a first...it happens all the time, get over it.

Bottom line is this...if you could spend a 2nd round pick on a questionable QB in this years class, or spend a 2nd round pick on what would be the highest rated QB in this draft class (Mallett) if he was in it and also has 2 years experience in an excellent culture like NE and learning behind someone like Brady, why the hell would you not do it?

Anyone who would rather see us use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy in this draft rather than use that same 2nd round pick on someone who in comparison to this class has much more potential, the biggest arm, best pure passer, and has 2 years experience behind Brady and learning in NE is just nuts.

Make this happen! I wanted him during the draft originally, but would really want him now. Trade our 2nd and then use the 1st on a WR or LB. That would be one hell of a start to the weekend.

1. and 3. Let's assume Mallett is actually a good player. Why would Belichick want to trade him within the division and face him twice a year? The answer is: he wouldn't. And just because Brady is signed for 5 more years, it doesn't mean he'll be playing that long. Most likely he has 2 more really productive years but shows signs of decline by the end of the 2nd (he'll be 38 prior to the start of the 2014 season), which also happens to be how many years Mallett has left on his contract. The better decision would be to keep him around for those 2 years to see if Brady declines and then make Mallett the starter...if he's any good. The only reason to trade Mallett now is to sucker some team into taking a QB Belichick realizes doesn't have it.

2. He may or may not be a coke head. But given how little he's shown in the NFL so far and rumors of drug use, why would you want to trade for that? College means squat and so does having been drafted by the Pats. And allegedly being the best QB in this draft means little, especially since he hasn't shown anything in a real game, even after his rookie year was behind him.

4. Not sure why people keep bringing this up. Even if the Bills missed on him in the 3rd but he's proven to be a good player (which he has not), you make a trade for whatever you feel he's worth.

I'm not sure that Mallett would be the highest rated qb in this year's draft. Would I give up a third round pick for him? I certainly would. Would I give up a first or second? No on the first round pick for sure, less so on a second.

I had read reports (rumors) that Mike Lombardi from Cleveland was communicating with BB to make a deal. They don't have a second round pick so I am guessing that they would be offering a third or future conditional pick for him.

Would the Bills be willing to pursue such a deal? I doubt it. Nix doesn't strike me as the type of person who is willing to pursue such a deal. His drafting and stand pat approach are less than imaginative and inspiring.

Trading a pick for a guy who has done and shown nothing in the NFL in 2 full seasons isn't imaginative or inspiring; it's dumb.

I don't want Mallett, but for those who do...there's no chance the Bills would do it because of this stipulation...

http://bostonherald....de_talk_for_now

"Under the new CBA, all players drafted in 2011 or later cannot restructure their contract until they complete their third season. Therefore, any team that acquires Mallett can't sign him to an extension until next year. That could take away from some of his value."

The Bills are simply not trading for their "QB of the future" with one year left on his contract and no way to extend it...LOL

It definitely hurts his value, not that he had any value to begin with. Again if Belichick had been more comfortable with him, he'd have played him more during the end of the blowouts, so as to showcase him for a trade.

First, why would we give Belichick a 2nd round pick to add to his arsenal? Second, why would Belichick give us a QB that could help us?

This is a good question. However Belichick has missed on many draft picks since Dimitrof and Pioli left.

The second question might be because Belichick just got Tommy to take an extension till 2017. After that i would not be amazed if Belichick decides to hang it up himself. Why not get a pick out of Mallet who is just going to ride the pine till his contract is up. Also this is a very weak draft class, if ever anyone would give you a 2nd rounder for a back up it is now.

It is a risk but so is taking a college qb in this draft. If Nix and his guys like Mallet from his day at Arkansas then they should do the deal. If not then pass.

I think the concersn over Mallet are more about how good he looked in a Bobby Petrino Offense. Think Brohm...

First, why would we give Belichick a 2nd round pick to add to his arsenal? Second, why would Belichick give us a QB that could help us?

+1!

Does anyone remember how we were amazed at how the Pats can wheel-n-deal on draft day? How they wind up with a boatload of picks in the top 100? How do they do it? By convincing chump teams to give up their picks for their garbage.

Die, Heretic!

:rolleyes:

Every qb that becomes available that's not named Gabbert unfortunately is better than fitz.

There's some crappy lateral moves like Cassell and Ponder

But I disagree with both of you to a degree on this one.

The accuracy factor just can't be overlooked much longer IMO.

I get that people love the good fitz who shows up 3-4 times a year....but on the other hand there's the bad fitz who hands out turnovers like candy on Halloween.

Shake it up. I'm getting old over here.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

he WAS a cokehead, now he's a qb with a rocket arm. im not gonna vouch for his greatness/suckitude but I would be intrigued by bringing him in.

For a 2nd rounder? For a 3rd rounder?

Will the unfounded Mallet infatuation NEVER end!?

Apparently not.

I don't want Mallett, but for those who do...there's no chance the Bills would do it because of this stipulation...

http://bostonherald....de_talk_for_now

"Under the new CBA, all players drafted in 2011 or later cannot restructure their contract until they complete their third season. Therefore, any team that acquires Mallett can't sign him to an extension until next year. That could take away from some of his value."

The Bills are simply not trading for their "QB of the future" with one year left on his contract and no way to extend it...LOL

Good point. Pretty relevant to the discussion actually. Thanks.

So we can trade a 2nd round pick for a slow, not smart coke head we could have drafted in the 3rd who hasn't proven a thing in the NFL? Awesome deal.

If they take Fitz and his contract in the package put me down :D . JK Fitz backers !! OOOps sorry Thread over Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

This

1. and 3. Let's assume Mallett is actually a good player. Why would Belichick want to trade him within the division and face him twice a year? The answer is: he wouldn't. And just because Brady is signed for 5 more years, it doesn't mean he'll be playing that long. Most likely he has 2 more really productive years but shows signs of decline by the end of the 2nd (he'll be 38 prior to the start of the 2014 season), which also happens to be how many years Mallett has left on his contract. The better decision would be to keep him around for those 2 years to see if Brady declines and then make Mallett the starter...if he's any good. The only reason to trade Mallett now is to sucker some team into taking a QB Belichick realizes doesn't have it.

2. He may or may not be a coke head. But given how little he's shown in the NFL so far and rumors of drug use, why would you want to trade for that? College means squat and so does having been drafted by the Pats. And allegedly being the best QB in this draft means little, especially since he hasn't shown anything in a real game, even after his rookie year was behind him.

4. Not sure why people keep bringing this up. Even if the Bills missed on him in the 3rd but he's proven to be a good player (which he has not), you make a trade for whatever you feel he's worth.

Trading a pick for a guy who has done and shown nothing in the NFL in 2 full seasons isn't imaginative or inspiring; it's dumb.

It definitely hurts his value, not that he had any value to begin with. Again if Belichick had been more comfortable with him, he'd have played him more during the end of the blowouts, so as to showcase him for a trade.

Good post! :thumbsup:

I was against drafting Mallet a few years ago, and I'm against trading for him now. There are issues with him--especially his ability to read the field quickly, and process information rapidly--which make me very cautious. I'm also not sold on his accuracy. There are guys in this draft who have a significantly better chance of becoming franchise QBs than Mallet has. The Bills need to draft one of those guys--assuming there's anyone in this QB class they like enough to draft. Trading for Mallett would be spinning their wheels.

Every qb that becomes available that's not named Gabbert unfortunately is better than fitz.

(...)

I get that people love the good fitz who shows up 3-4 times a year....but on the other hand there's the bad fitz who hands out turnovers like candy on Halloween.

You present the TBD Party Dogma you and others espouse most succinctly here.

There are two points where we must agree to disagree:

1) Every available QB not-named-Gabbert is not, in fact, better than Fitz

2) The fact that a TSW poster makes this assessment and believes it does not mean they are "Fitz lovers", any of the more vulgar terms that have applied, nor is it evidence that they don't want a better QB

We now return you to the Party Line

I was against drafting Mallet a few years ago, and I'm against trading for him now. There are issues with him--especially his ability to read the field quickly, and process information rapidly--which make me very cautious. I'm also not sold on his accuracy. There are guys in this draft who have a significantly better chance of becoming franchise QBs than Mallet has. The Bills need to draft one of those guys--assuming there's anyone in this QB class they like enough to draft. Trading for Mallett would be spinning their wheels.

Yep. We need a QB who can compete successfully with Tom Brady.

If Belichek thought Mallet could successfully compete with Tom Brady, he would never trade him - not in a zillion years - lest he be one (current Moe Lewis equivalent) hit away from the unemployment line AND in the position of having traded someone who could play at a similar level to Tom Brady.

Edited by Hopeful