Should we trade for Ryan Mallett?

freester

The sole reason in my mind why the Patriots even drafted Mallett was because he was probably the BPA on their boards at the time. Then reasoning what they got for Matt Cassell they said, why not!

Summary: A tall, lumbering, rocket-balling pocket passer who sprays live bullets, Mallett began to settle down as a senior and fits very well in a vertical passing attack, but issues still reside about his makeup and lack of maturity. Will not be able to live off his arm talent alone in the NFL, and his inaccuracy and shaky decision making are concerning.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/29/patriots-no-5-pick-scouting-report-qb-ryan-mallett

Hey, he could be another Drew Bledsoe... should the Patriots part with him, the team that acquires him better have a top O line. NFN, but who really knows how his development has been going. There must be a reason why he doesn't step in for more mop up duty.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is available for a 2nd round pick according to Greg Bedard. He has some experience and a big arm. He may be a better option than this years rookies.

if Bray goes before our second pick then we should do it.

So we can trade a 2nd round pick for a slow, not smart coke head we could have drafted in the 3rd who hasn't proven a thing in the NFL? Awesome deal.

I see you don't like talented QBs with Attitude.

For the final time...THERE IS NO REDOING MALLETT'S CONTRACT AND THE BILLS ARE NOT TRADING FOR THEIR "QB OF THE FUTURE" WITH ONE YEAR REMAINING ON HIS CONTRACT...

http://bostonherald....de_talk_for_now

This thread REALLY needs to end so we can discuss real possibilities at the QB position.

Edited by 1billsfan

Good post! :thumbsup:

I was against drafting Mallet a few years ago, and I'm against trading for him now. There are issues with him--especially his ability to read the field quickly, and process information rapidly--which make me very cautious. I'm also not sold on his accuracy. There are guys in this draft who have a significantly better chance of becoming franchise QBs than Mallet has. The Bills need to draft one of those guys--assuming there's anyone in this QB class they like enough to draft. Trading for Mallett would be spinning their wheels.

As you noted ultimately that is the fundamental issue. Are there better qb prospects in this draft than Mallett? If our talent evaluators believe not then spending a thrid round pick on him would be worth the gamble. If they conclude that they can get a better prospect in the first or second round then they wouldn't even consider making a deal.

You might not think too highly of Mallett but what I can say with confidence is that if he was on our roster he would be our starting qb. Why do I say that? Because he is immeasurably better than Fitz from an ability standpoint. Without a doubt there are other considerations when deciding who your franchise qb is going to be, such as reading defenses, maturity, work ethic etc. But at least for me having a qb who has a strong arm and is fairly accurate and can make plays down the field is a better option than having a qb who is so limited that you already know he will never be adquate.

Edited by JohnC

He is available for a 2nd round pick according to Greg Bedard. He has some experience and a big arm. He may be a better option than this years rookies.

More "I recognize him, sign him!" reactions...

The guy was drafted in the 3rd, has done absolutely nothing in the NFL, and now all of the sudden is worth a 2nd? AND he would need to be resigned? Someone's math is off...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If everyone is so hot for an ex #1 pick QB see if Jax would part with Blaine Gabbert. Wasn't he a can't-miss stud?

PTR

I know not first rounder, but I always thought Jimmy Clausen was an interesting project. Panthers could not pass up on Newton which is why Clausen is firmly on the bench. That and ofcourse he had a terrible rookie season but yet he is intriguing

If everyone is so hot for an ex #1 pick QB see if Jax would part with Blaine Gabbert. Wasn't he a can't-miss stud?

PTR

Why do you conclude that everyone is eager to draft a former #1 qb pick? That certainly isn't the case. When did most people conclude that Gabbert was a can't miss prospect? That certainly wasn't the case. You have a habit of chasing the illusionary bogeyman. For what purpose and point?

if Bray goes before our second pick then we should do it.

I see you don't like talented QBs with Attitude.

Honestly, how many good QBs have there been with "attitude" problems? One of the main things a great QB needs is composure. It's why guys like Leaf, Cutler, George, VY, etc. struggle. They can't keep their composure. Honestly, I don't know a ton about Bray but a guy who struggles with attitude issues while losing a lot of football games in college makes me worry. And Mallett has a cannon but he seems to have an awful lot of douche to him as well.

Why do you conclude that everyone is eager to draft a former #1 qb pick? That certainly isn't the case. When did most people conclude that Gabbert was a can't miss prospect? That certainly wasn't the case. You have a habit of chasing the illusionary bogeyman. For what purpose and point?

No, no one at TBD ever does that. And no one ever said we should draft Gabbert either. :rolleyes: Hey, is Jamrcus Russell still available?

PTR