Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

Another thing I have liked about this staff is that they have not come out in the press and made any ra-ra statements about their moves. They are simply making their roster quietly to how they like it. The only surprising roster moves they have not made is on Kelsay and Spencer Johnson.

I dislike their silence. I want some explanation as to why they would not tender Donald Jones and David Nelson. These are completely illogical moves, and I don't understand why the media isn't trying to push Nix to explain these moves.

If it's a new scheme thing, say so. if it's an injury thing, say so. If it's a production thing, say so. I don't think we should be left scratching our heads.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike their silence. I want some explanation as to why they would not tender Donald Jones and David Nelson. These are completely illogical moves, and I don't understand why the media isn't trying to push Nix to explain these moves.

If it's a new scheme thing, say so. if it's an injury thing, say so. If it's a production thing, say so. I don't think we should be left scratching our heads.

Colin Brown, Tarvaris Jackson, Aaron Corp, Terrence McGee, Hutch Eckerson, George Wilson, Nick Barnett, Donald Jones, David Nelson.

Who makes the decision of when to explain what decision to the public?

Perhaps....with a little patience....the explanation will become apparent.

Colin Brown, Tarvaris Jackson, Aaron Corp, Terrence McGee, Hutch Eckerson, George Wilson, Nick Barnett, Donald Jones, David Nelson.

Who makes the decision of when to explain what decision to the public?

Perhaps....with a little patience....the explanation will become apparent.

Maybe you are right. But with tendering RFAs, it's usually such a routine move. Not tendering is a shock that would appear to warrant some kind of statement.

No, what I am saying is that a big, sure handed but slow footed receiver has been successful in the style of offense that Marrone oversaw in New Orleans.

Umm...ok. You're still comparing the two. I can pick two guys with similar body measurements also; it's not that difficult. Very poor analogy, in my opinion.

I'm fine with decided to go in another direction. When fall comes, that direction needs to be headed toward more wins.

l

I'm uncertain if that was the intent, or not. I mean, it's possible that if Nelson had been playing in NO with Drew Brees tossing to him, he'd have Colston-like numbers

I think it's far more likely he'd be warming the bench in favor of a more physical, more elusive guy with better ability to beat the jam off the line and get open, but that's just me. Again, not trying to dis Nelson, he's a good young player but I'm not sure he's so exceptional that it's worth $2 million to keep him around.

PS What's Colston's 2013 salary? Thought I heard $1.2 million.

Did you really think Colston was playing for $1.2M this year? His average over the next 5 is between $7.25-$8M per year. Some of that is rolled to the back end because the Saints were cap strapped last spring, but $19.5M of his deal is guaranteed.

I think maybe you think you know a bit more about caponomics than you actually do.

Umm...ok. You're still comparing the two. I can pick two guys with similar body measurements also; it's not that difficult. Very poor analogy, in my opinion.

Your opinion comes with the caveat of usually being wrong. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Gotta disagree.

To paraphrase Marv, If you have to justify your moves with the fans, you'll soon end up sitting with them.

Marrone obviously has a plan that doesn't include these guys. What it is, we don't yet know. But it will become evident eventually (probably after FA starts or via the draft).

Maybe...just maybe Marrone has studied film and has come to the conclusion that these guys are a part of the problem with the passing game. Maybe he even thinks Fitz would be acceptable with the right guys to throw to. Ya just never know. coffee.gif

jb

I dislike their silence.

This made me laugh.

On the subject, I agree with eball and Hopeful in that Marrone probably doesn't see Nelson as a fit for his offense.

Then you factor in the ACL rehab and it's not that hard a decision to make.

Also agree that David Nelson is not comparable to Marques Colston although for the most part, Badobeelz has been a nice addition to our board.

Let's all play nice btw.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." That saying better sums up the Bills of the past 13 years. The Bills bring a team to camp, then they lead the entire league in injuries (according to a recent study).

If Hackett is running a version of the gulf coast offense, then it would seem that Nelson would be worthwhile to have on the roster for cheap($1.3M minimum tender). Marques Colston is a big lumbering, sure handed receiver and he has been a star in that offense.

Buddy Nix has indicated that he would like to see Stevie Johnson in the slot. This was Nelson's domain.

That really is all the solid evidence we have to go on. The "$1.3M is more than the average WR gets paid" ,"ACL's are career ending injuries" and even the "he's a jesus worshipper which is annoying to the clubhouse" is mostly assinine speculation.

If wanting to play Stevie in the slot is the answer, then the questions are: what about all of the nagging soft tissue injuries that Johnson fights thru? Will they be worsened by the more physical slot position AND will Stevie be ok with playing in the slot? If he is going to resist more contact after playing outside most of his career, then you still need a slot receiver, IMO.

Or maybe the new staff just decided he wasn't good enough regardless of where they line up their receivers. I'll just accept that for now and let others engage in speculation. Good point about needing depth at the position though. With the release of Jones and Nelson we're thin at best.

GO BILLS!!!

I just wanna say, I'm very proud of this thread. I birthed it and have watched it grow and mature and take on a life of its own. It doesn't even need me anymore. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

I'm happy for you and hope that the thread continues to be a source of pride and joy for you in the years that follow.

This made me laugh.

On the subject, I agree with eball and Hopeful in that Marrone probably doesn't see Nelson as a fit for his offense.

Then you factor in the ACL rehab and it's not that hard a decision to make.

Also agree that David Nelson is not comparable to Marques Colston although for the most part, Badobeelz has been a nice addition to our board.

Let's all play nice btw.

That's it, yes I am equating David Nelson to Marques Colston. Yup. The league is loaded with 6'5"-6'7" WR's who make their living in the inside of the field. And since the Bills will be running a cross between Mike Martz GSOT and Mouse Davis' R&S I can see where there isn't room for a big target who can't break a 4.4 in the 40. :thumbsup:

Um...try scratching your behind instead.

I want some explanation as to why they would not tender Donald Jones and David Nelson. These are completely illogical moves, and I don't understand why the media isn't trying to push Nix to explain these moves.

This made me chuckle. Both Jones and Nelson are below average WRs in this league. I'm glad the Bills think they can do better.

Not too sure what your point with Colston is but...

No, that was his 2012 salary. 1.2m salary....plus a 0.1m bonus....plus 2m of the 10m signing bonus money.

2013 he earns.....4.5m salary....plus a 0.1m bonus....plus 2m of the 10m signing bonus money.

Overall his contract was 7.26m ave over 5 years.

Point taken, you are correct, that is 2012 salary.

My point with Colston is there are some mighty fine players out there playing for less than $2 million in salary (plus whatever the signing bonus woulda been).

Maybe it's a mistake to release Jones and Nelson, or maybe it's an opportunity to improve our talent level for similar level of salary?

Edited by Hopeful

Point taken, you are correct, that is 2012 salary.

My point with Colston is there are some mighty fine players out there playing for less than $2 million in salary (plus whatever the signing bonus woulda been).

Maybe it's a mistake to release Jones and Nelson, or maybe it's an opportunity to improve our talent level for similar level of salary?

Patterson?