Nix "McKelvin is starter as of now"

I understand his point - Williams is not the answer immediately and who knows if Brooks is ready as starter - but is this really his job to name starters...I figured Pettine and/or Marrone should be making those calls. Too many cooks in the kitchen?? Let Marrone and Pettine evaluate the talent they have and whether they start or backup.

Nix should concentrate on playing checkers in the corner with A. Williams.

http://www.wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/15610195

Who's to say he didn't already discuss this with the coaches?

Good point. I guess I assume since he didn't say "we've all met and think Leodis is our second best CB" that he was taking this position himself. Maybe that's what he meant.

Isnt McKelvin a free agent?

Yes, that too. Maybe Leodis said "hey, if you say I have the starting job at the beginning of training camp, then I'll re-sign with you guys...if not, I'm gone"

Isnt McKelvin a free agent?

That's it, he's not setting the depth chart he's negotiating. Which is a good sign because Leo's one of if not the best return guy in football and we used a 1st round pick on him so it would suck to see him go so early in his career.

I have mentioned it a few times on this board....mckelvin has the ability....always in position....just needs a little coaching on how to look for the ball or get his hands into the play....I think him and Gilmore will be solid....I look to pettine to get all he can out of him

Yes, that too. Maybe Leodis said "hey, if you say I have the starting job at the beginning of training camp, then I'll re-sign with you guys...if not, I'm gone"

"If I had to say right now on our roster between now and March 12, it'd be Leodis,"

Great !@#$ing bargaining tool, Buddy. This is how NOT to negotiate a contract. Leodis is valuable for depth at corner and his return skills. Calling him a starter raises his value... what a dumbass.

Did you happen to think that maybe the deal isas good as done? In which case Buddy just pumped him up a bit as a motivational tool.

I really hope Leo comes back. Love the kids heart and attitude. No matter how bad things got for him, he gave it his all. He's the best returner in the league IMO. Absolutely electric on returns. Like most here have alluded to, his cover skills are solid, but his ball skills are poor. If pettines defense can put pressure on the QB like we hope, Leo could he a very good CB. Lets hope he resigns. I'd take him at 4.5 per year, as crazy as that may sound.

Great move by Nix. I would not give up on McKelvin. You can not teach speed and hip turn. He has that ability. I don't think he will ever learn to locate the ball in space but if our defense puts just a little pressure on QB's McKelvin will excel. A. Williams is destined to be a safety. Bring back McKelvin and we have one less hole to fill.

The sad part of all of this is the admission that the Bills do not have a starting caliber CB on the roster to play opposite Gilmore. All of these draft picks over the last number of years, and the best answer is McKelvin? He has consistently underperformed as a high first round draft pick and is a free agent this year.