Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee

Thanks for the insight pal.

Sure didn't work out for the Lions, Bengals or Falcons, huh?

You can say that about every team drafting any position. Is Patterson as complete as Calvin, AJ or Julio were when they came out? I don't think he's even close.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's electrifying with the ball.

The problem is, can he get himself open against top competition on a consistent basis to become an electrifying ball player?

Edited by Magox

If we go WR at #8, it better be Tavon Austin.

Patterson's best attribute is his gamebreaking ability after the catch.

That's his problem. He doesn't always catch it. The first question anyone should ask when evaluating a WR is, can he be relied on to always make the catch? Patterson isn't that guy.

Patterson's best attribute is his gamebreaking ability after the catch, and I would venture to say that Austin is better in that area. Not to mention that Austin is a better route runner, has better hands and he has more than a season worth of production.

In my opinion, the WR class is loaded with Day 2 talent that may also be better than Patterson. There is a great chance that guys like Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins or Justin Hunter (who was the #1 receiver at Tennessee, not Patterson) will be available.

Agreed. I really like Austin. I'm trying him on as the Bills pick, but there's depth at WR and, apparently, a similar kid at Hawaii. Maybe pass rusher 1st, but wouldn't be disappointed with Austin.

Patterson. 1 year wonder. Raw. Athletic. Who knows....

Have you seen Pattersons highlight videos?

Most of his TDs are slants and not long TD receptions.

His is big, fast and can make defenders miss. He's a WR with the elusiveness of Spiller.

One thing scouts point out is that he only has 1 year of college ball experience as his first 2 seasons were spent at JUCO.

But Newton only had 1 year as a pro and hes doing fine.

Its a risk/reward thing if we draft him.

CBF

There's a BIG difference between collegiate DBs and professional DBs. Can he get off the line of scrimmage? Can he separate from NFL DBs? I would take Deandre Hopkins over Patterson. Neither at #8.

I'm seeing more and more mocks with us taking Patterson, WR Tenn with our 8th pick. I don't deny the need for a #2 WR, but I'm reading way too much about this kid that scares me. I get the size and speed and you can see it on tape. But I think a top 10 first round pick should be an immediate impact player like Julio Jones or AJ Green were.

Many of the scouting reports I read say he is the best of a weak class, catches with his body, and will only go high due to lack of other options.

I have no idea about him. Anyone out there know more about the kid that is game for taking him at 8?

One yr Wonder unpolished route runner very raw steep learning curve for rookie wide outs.....oh sell you on

it?....... tremendous talent and upside Sky's the limit blah blah blah....

If this is what you are looking for, shouldn't you prefer Tavon Austin? Patterson seems more like the guy for long bombs and big redzone targets.

You guys do know that Tavon Auston is supposedly 5-8 170 lbs, and looks even smaller right? He's explosive for sure, but he's almost certainly destined to be a slot/gimmick player. Anything in the first half of round 1 on a guy like that is way too high IMO...And that's before factoring in whether he will be able to survive in the NFL at his size (Parrish couldn't).

The selling point on Patterson is that he has the speed and play making ability of Austin when he has the ball in his hands, but he's 6'3 ~215 lbs. The real question about him, and it's a big one, are his hands good enough to be a reliable NFL WR. My personal concern is that he isn't the type of guy that will go up and snatch balls out of the air...In the NFL if you can't do that you will never be a great WR IMO, regardless of how fast you are.

This kid has that kind of rare freakish physical ability, which is what is drawing him so much attention. He's obviously a high risk pick though. If they took him I wouldn't complain, but it certainly wouldn't be considered a "safe" pick. In the end I think 8 is too high for him and the Bills will go another route.

Hopkins in the 2nd would probably be a better choice for the Bills.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

not sure if hopkins will last that long..........he's the WR i would like as he has immaculate hands and runs great routes.......i think he had 15-20 catches in Clemson's bowl game

after reading this thread Patterson sounds like a nightmare.

I definitely wouldn't say nightmare, there is a reason why he is getting this attention...When you see his natural speed and running ability with the ball in his hands (combined with his 6-3 215 lbs frame), then you really understand the hype...He just doesn't appear to be "complete" as an NFL WR quite yet.

He'd almost certainly be the new KR for any team that drafts him as well, even us (McKelvin would do punts).

This probably doesn't help his case any, but Al Davis would have been all over him if he were still around.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm seeing more and more mocks with us taking Patterson, WR Tenn with our 8th pick. I don't deny the need for a #2 WR, but I'm reading way too much about this kid that scares me. I get the size and speed and you can see it on tape. But I think a top 10 first round pick should be an immediate impact player like Julio Jones or AJ Green were.

Many of the scouting reports I read say he is the best of a weak class, catches with his body, and will only go high due to lack of other options.

I have no idea about him. Anyone out there know more about the kid that is game for taking him at 8?

Just want to point out I've heard this is actually a VERY good, deep Draft at WR...Just not any AJ Green's in the bunch...Still a TON of talent from the mid-late 1st all the way through the 4th Round or so...

I don't like Patterson at #8 overall...He's not Julio Jones, who had 3 years at Alabama, and a ton of experience coming in...I think Patterson had concentration lapses in at Tennessee, and he's a raw but very athletically talented prospect...Still...I'm not certain he's going to turn into a big-time #1 Wide Out...I think in time he could be very good if everything falls into place...But no way would I use a top 10 pick on him...I just think there is too much risk with him, at this point, to be Drafted that high...I'd much rather grab Robert Woods in the 2nd... B-)

Patterson's best attribute is his gamebreaking ability after the catch, and I would venture to say that Austin is better in that area. Not to mention that Austin is a better route runner, has better hands and he has more than a season worth of production.

In my opinion, the WR class is loaded with Day 2 talent that may also be better than Patterson. There is a great chance that guys like Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins or Justin Hunter (who was the #1 receiver at Tennessee, not Patterson) will be available.

I like tavon Austin, but really do not want to see him drafted at #8. I think he's a slot guy, not a #2. I do agree that the Bills will be better of drafting a WR in round 2. The WR class is deep with talent, but really does not contain any triple A rated superstars.

No WR at 8. Plenty of quality WRs to be had between the 2 & 3 at our spot (e.g., Woods ((I hope!)), Wheaton, Patton, Hunter and more). Need to go BPA and that will be a LB which also happens to be a position of dire need (no QB talk please!). Win-win for us.

There's a BIG difference between collegiate DBs and professional DBs. Can he get off the line of scrimmage? Can he separate from NFL DBs? I would take Deandre Hopkins over Patterson. Neither at #8.

absolutely right on. the NFL DBs will eat this guy for lunch. plus his tall slender build and upright running style and he's dead meat.

The rule is that a 1st rounder generally needs to be able to start right away in the NFL. This guy played D1 for 1 year and has questions around route running. By the time we get this guy running routes correctly hes going to pick up and leave Buffalo anyway. Id rather a player with less upside but someone capable of having a higher immediate impact.

I like tavon Austin, but really do not want to see him drafted at #8. I think he's a slot guy, not a #2. I do agree that the Bills will be better of drafting a WR in round 2. The WR class is deep with talent, but really does not contain any triple A rated superstars.

Welker and Amendola are slot guys, and each was unquestionably their team's #1 WR

Austin hasn't been touched off the line or otherwise for 4 years and is the reason anyone is talking about Geno Smith. Buffalo may not have the luxury of taking him, but I think he's going to be very good. Like a faster Welker.

Austin hasn't been touched off the line or otherwise for 4 years and is the reason anyone is talking about Geno Smith. Buffalo may not have the luxury of taking him, but I think he's going to be very good. Like a faster Welker.

If Wes Welker and Desean Jackson had a child it would be Tavon Austin.