Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee

His stats don't matter. He was a receiver who wasn't featured because he was coming out of JUCO. You must look at what he did with his opportunities and translate that to the NFL game. There's no doubt this kid is ridiculously gifted and he knows it. He will have no problem adapting to the NFL. There's no comparison to Allen when it comes to who has the better NFL talent.

You may or may not be right, but production matters. The word "talent" encompasses more than just being a phenomenal open field runner.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may or may not be right, but production matters. The word "talent" encompasses more than just being a phenomenal open field runner.

It would matter if he was in school for four years and did nothing till his last year there. It's not like there were no other receivers on that team, he was low man on the totem pole. You can not teach what that guy's got. Not only that, you can tell he knows he's a future star. You can have college production, I'm picking Patterson over any WR in the draft.

True, in that highlight film, Patterson does appear to jump off the screen. The problem is that most of what he's doing in it does not require the skills of a WR. He can run in the open field as good as anybody I've seen the past few years, but he's lacking in actual WR skills. Patterson is a poor route runner and has below average hands, there's a reason why his highlight is filled with KO/Punt returns and Running plays. Body-catching the majority of passes on your highlight reel isn't a very good sign that you're NFL-ready.

Patterson is not even the best Tennessee WR in this draft. He is a project, and would no way be ready to contribute the first year, except on returns. I doubt anybody drafts a project in the top half of Round 1, even the Bills.

After watching many Tennessee games I think Patterson is way better than Hunter, and some mocks have him going to the Bills and high first round.

I hope the Bills don't get distracted by such shiny new toys. They don't have a QB and they can't stop the run. Unless ALL of that is addressed in FA, which it will not be, WR will have to wait. Remember we have the great TJ Graham from last years' draft and I think Nelson is coming back.

:worthy::lol::worthy::lol::worthy::doh:

Peter Warrick looked even better with the ball in his hands, and he also lacked the hands & route-running skills a top WR prospect should have. But he was a "playmaker", so he got drafted in the top-5. Once in the NFL, it became obvious that even elite open-field moves alone are not enough to make it in the NFL. And Warrick had MUCH more college success than Patterson. Unfortunately, there is no position in the NFL called Playmaker.

Patterson has bust written all over him if he goes in the top half of the 1st. He's going to get so much hype, that he'll be drafted way too high and be expected to produce right away. He is a project and needs a few years to develop.

Peter Warrick looked even better with the ball in his hands, and he also lacked the hands & route-running skills a top WR prospect should have. But he was a "playmaker", so he got drafted in the top-5. Once in the NFL, it became obvious that even elite open-field moves alone are not enough to make it in the NFL. And Warrick had MUCH more college success than Patterson. Unfortunately, there is no position in the NFL called Playmaker.

Patterson has bust written all over him if he goes in the top half of the 1st. He's going to get so much hype, that he'll be drafted way too high and be expected to produce right away. He is a project and needs a few years to develop.

Warrick was 5' 11" and that was 13 years ago. College coaching and passing game is so much more refined now.

His stats don't matter. He was a receiver who wasn't featured because he was coming out of JUCO. You must look at what he did with his opportunities and translate that to the NFL game. There's no doubt this kid is ridiculously gifted and he knows it. He will have no problem adapting to the NFL. There's no comparison to Allen when it comes to who has the better NFL talent.

Thank you.

You do realize you're being sarcastic as a basis to support your argument? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Adding Patterson would literally be adding another dimension to the Bills offense. The Bills adding a "shiny new toy" a few years back gave them one of the best players in the entire league right now. I would love to have the next "greatest show on earth" offense and the only thing left finding be the QB to run the darn thing.

They would never see the ball and when they did get it, there's nobody to throw the ball to your shiny new toy. That's a big investment for a guy who would be in on 5 plays a game.

If the Bills do draft Patterson in the first and a QB in the second, the team will be set at the offensive skill positions for this season. That would mean that they plugged the glaring need for ILB in free agency. The rest of the draft would most likely yield depth talent. we will know in late March if the Bills will get additional draft picks (unlikely).

True, in that highlight film, Patterson does appear to jump off the screen. The problem is that most of what he's doing in it does not require the skills of a WR. He can run in the open field as good as anybody I've seen the past few years, but he's lacking in actual WR skills. Patterson is a poor route runner and has below average hands, there's a reason why his highlight is filled with KO/Punt returns and Running plays. Body-catching the majority of passes on your highlight reel isn't a very good sign that you're NFL-ready.

Patterson is not even the best Tennessee WR in this draft. He is a project, and would no way be ready to contribute the first year, except on returns. I doubt anybody drafts a project in the top half of Round 1, even the Bills.

Thank you for one of the few posts in this thread with some actual insight into the player in question.

That's signature worthy right there. So many people get distracted by the shiny toy.

Warrick was 5' 11" and that was 13 years ago. College coaching and passing game is so much more refined now.

Yes it is, which means guys who run poor routes and have poor hands are even less useful in today's game.

Edited by KD in CT

They would never see the ball and when they did get it, there's nobody to throw the ball to your shiny new toy. That's a big investment for a guy who would be in on 5 plays a game.

The Bills obviously will be getting a QB with their 2nd or 3rd rd pick this year and even possibly a 1st rd pick next year if this year's rookie isn't cutting it. Unless Geno Smith is there at #8, the Bills should take Patterson or an impactful defensive player like Dion Jordan. You shouldn't force the draft, especially with the highly suspect QBs in this class. I'm perfectly ok with them rolling the dice on a QB in the 2nd.

IMO this guy is the odds on favorite to being the Bills' pick at #8. Dion Jordan is my second odds on favorite, but unfortunately there's probably a good chance he won't be there when the Bills pick. As for Patterson, I think the combo of him and Johnson would be very dynamic. We'd certainly have the most "Swag" WR combo in the league. They could become Swag 1 and Swag 2.

I don't buy into in the "one year wonder" stuff. Fans always go back to the Maybin pick and not only is Maybin an exception, he never had the size or body to play his NFL position. THAT was where the Bills went wrong. If you watch Patterson's highlight video and don't come away with the opinion that you're watching a future NFL WR star then there's no hope for you at evaluating NFL talent. Dude scorches on the screen and will do so at the next level. His moves are VERY Spiller like.

He has great run after the catch. He's not a RB. He has to run good routes, get open, then catch the ball in order to have the ball in his hands. After watching his "highlight" tape, have you concluded that he runs good routes and has good hands? What do his scouting reports say? There's more to being an nfl star WR than run after catch ability. To come away with an opinion that he's going to be an nfl star WR after watching a highlight tape of him making great moves and a few nice catches is a bit premature IMO. He's got loads of talent, but does he have the mind set to take him to the next level? If he's a bill, I'm ok with it, but I think there are much safer picks that have similar ceilings.

Edited by NewEra

Regardless if there is a better WR available in the draft or not, this is correct. The guy is a stud. I just don't know if drafting him as high as 8 makes sense when you might be able to get him later. But then again, the combine and all the speed, hands, and elusiveness hype begins this week. Ya never know what might happen. FWIW, I think this guy has BETTER moves and change of direction than CJ and is probably the closest thing to Barry Sanders since... Well, Barry Sanders.

I still think I'd rather have the kid that put up something like 20+ catches and a few TDs in one of his games this season. Can't remember his name tho.

Crack? Cocaine, or Meth maybe?

Either way you should cut back a little.

In 8 of his 12 games last year with Tennessee, Patterson recorded 3 or fewer receptions. I'm not doubting his physical potential, but most draft-worthy players will look dominant in a highlight reel.

Tyler Bray sucks....jussayin

Crack? Cocaine, or Meth maybe?

Either way you should cut back a little.

this kid has some serious moves. Unfortunately it means nothing considering we can't compare the 2 other than by the eyes. Heck, we could compare come drills but CJ never did them at the combine.

The Bills obviously will be getting a QB with their 2nd or 3rd rd pick this year and even possibly a 1st rd pick next year if this year's rookie isn't cutting it. Unless Geno Smith is there at #8, the Bills should take Patterson or an impactful defensive player like Dion Jordan. You shouldn't force the draft, especially with the highly suspect QBs in this class. I'm perfectly ok with them rolling the dice on a QB in the 2nd.

Can Patterson stop the run?

This guy looks dominant. And does it in SEC. Big 6'3" 200+. Fast. Looks like Julio Jones - I think he looks better than Julio did in college. His speed and cuts remind me of .... Spiller a little bit - in the way they were head and shoulders above the competition at the collegiate level. This guy is WORTH 8 overall!

But watch the video and see for your self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0

When I watch Patterson run with the ball it reminds me of Eric Dickerson. Intriguing prospect, but more of an "athlete" than a receiver at this point.

I don't disagree with your point about hands and route-running skills. Patterson is very raw and it's hard to justify using a pick that high on a player who you aren't sure can even catch the ball consistently with his hands. But Peter Warrick's problem was also a lack of speed. He couldn't get separation to use his outstanding change of direction skills and he couldn't run away from NFL db's when he did. I think Patterson will run a sub 4.5. He is also a lot bigger than PW. I think he falls somewhere in between an athlete like Matt Jones and a Peter Warrick but I agree that he is the same type of risk.