Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what NFL.com mock experts say about him.

Overview

The road to Tennessee was not very glamorous for Cordarrelle Patterson (pronounced "CORE-dare-uhl"). After a solid 2008 high school season that put him on college teams' radars, Patterson did not play football in 2009 while at North Carolina Tech. In 2010, Patterson enrolled at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, where he broke numerous school records and became the top ranked JUCO product in the nation. After choosing Tennessee, Patterson was expected to line up as the school's third receiver, but after fellow junior Da'Rick Rogers was dismissed from the team, the South Carolina native burst onto the scene immediately by beating NC State cornerback David Amerson multiple times during the 2012 season opener. From there, Patterson continued to make play after play, becoming the first NCAA player in four years to score a touchdown four different ways.

During his only season at the FBS level, Patterson accumulated a wide variety of statistics while starting all 12 games. As a receiver, the junior caught 46 passes for 778 yards and five touchdowns. As the season went along, The Vols started to use Patterson more and more from the running back position, and he tallied 208 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. The junior returned four punts for 101 yards and a touchdown. However, Patterson did most of his damage as a kick returner, compiling 671 yards and another touchdown on 24 attempts. He set an SEC single-season record with a combined kickoff and punt return average of 27.6 yards, and a school record of 1,858 all-purpose yards.

Analysis

Strengths

Easily separates on vertical routes when given a free release. Very few wasted steps on cuts. Very smooth in his breaks. Finds soft areas in zone coverage between corners and safeties. Looks to turn upfield immediately after the catch. Very good with slants, quick head fake out allows for inside release, strong step forward, body catches to prevent pass breakup while shielding corner. Flashes swiping inside arm bar away on back shoulder throws to allow for free turn. Frequently hauls in the difficult catches, especially when the defensive back is draped on him. Not afraid to hand fight all the way along the sideline on vertical routes to create a sliver of separation. Understands hot read recognition when the corner blitzes. Builds speed quickly after the catch, almost gliding when in stride. Good vision with the ball in his hands, cuts upfield when he sees a lane. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game.

Weaknesses

Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks.Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

NFL Comparison

Demaryius Thomas

Bottom Line

He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board.

Linky: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cordarrelle-patterson?id=2540145

Tim-

• 4 weeks later...

This guy looks dominant. And does it in SEC. Big 6'3" 200+. Fast. Looks like Julio Jones - I think he looks better than Julio did in college. His speed and cuts remind me of .... Spiller a little bit - in the way they were head and shoulders above the competition at the collegiate level. This guy is WORTH 8 overall!

But watch the video and see for your self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0

He's great with the ball in his hands. If he ran routes and hand hands like he runs after the catch, he'd be a superstar for sure. He doesn't. If he learns how, his upside is huge, but he really needs to improve in those categories. I think 8 is too high for him given his current all around game

He doesn't really outrun too many people in that video. He seems more quick than fast. Also, I'm pretty sure he's known for his drops, and hasn't been playing football for very long. It seems like he has incredibly high potential, but that's pretty much all it is at this point.

This guy looks dominant. And does it in SEC. Big 6'3" 200+. Fast. Looks like Julio Jones - I think he looks better than Julio did in college. His speed and cuts remind me of .... Spiller a little bit - in the way they were head and shoulders above the competition at the collegiate level. This guy is WORTH 8 overall!

But watch the video and see for your self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0

sounds like a plan, if we can get his QB in the second it will be a good draft.

I do agree that he is explosive, but that was mostly ST highlights...With the number 8 pick we need a Green or Julio type guy, not a Devin Hester type guy...But maybe playing on the other side of SJ with CJ getting attention in the backfield, he can get alot of opportunity to make plays. Time will tell what we do!

IMO this guy is the odds on favorite to being the Bills' pick at #8. Dion Jordan is my second odds on favorite, but unfortunately there's probably a good chance he won't be there when the Bills pick. As for Patterson, I think the combo of him and Johnson would be very dynamic. We'd certainly have the most "Swag" WR combo in the league. They could become Swag 1 and Swag 2.

I don't buy into in the "one year wonder" stuff. Fans always go back to the Maybin pick and not only is Maybin an exception, he never had the size or body to play his NFL position. THAT was where the Bills went wrong. If you watch Patterson's highlight video and don't come away with the opinion that you're watching a future NFL WR star then there's no hope for you at evaluating NFL talent. Dude scorches on the screen and will do so at the next level. His moves are VERY Spiller like.

This was brought up before. I'm not being a dick, but people already came out and said he's more like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I don't watch much or any college ball so I couldn't tell ya, but there were people on here that said he wasn't that impressive over a span of a season. He had chunks of plays then nothing.

The guy looks great, and he might have more upside than anyone of those other WRs in the draft, but if we can wait until RD2-4 to get him, why not go stud defender or any QB in the first before taking a shot at this kid.

If you watch Patterson's highlight video and don't come away with the opinion that you're watching a future NFL WR star then there's no hope for you at evaluating NFL talent. Dude scorches on the screen and will do so at the next level. His moves are VERY Spiller like.

Regardless if there is a better WR available in the draft or not, this is correct. The guy is a stud. I just don't know if drafting him as high as 8 makes sense when you might be able to get him later. But then again, the combine and all the speed, hands, and elusiveness hype begins this week. Ya never know what might happen. FWIW, I think this guy has BETTER moves and change of direction than CJ and is probably the closest thing to Barry Sanders since... Well, Barry Sanders.

I still think I'd rather have the kid that put up something like 20+ catches and a few TDs in one of his games this season. Can't remember his name tho.