Doug Whaley said WHAT?!

#34fan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Move along. Nothin to see here.

pretty much. a fairly obvious quote.. there is no Andrew Luck. no RG3. maybe not even a Tannehill or a Kaepernick either. that may very well mean we do NOT take one in the first round. if we do, or in the 2nd, pick one whose deficiencies you can work with or are correctable. i do see the original poster's point, i guess, but nothing to get excited about as i think Whaley is speaking a truth most already see.

things is, there may not be a do everything guy next year either. Tajh Boyd and Aaron Murray may be the 2 best, and they both lack height. but i think they're taking one, so i hope it's one with only 1 or 2 flaws (Wilson or Nassib) vs. one with too many to ever fix (Glennon).

Edited by Brainiac21

Can you clarify exactly what it is that bothers you about Whaley's comments?

I'm not following you.

I think it's the part about not drafting a QB at 8 even though certain fans insist we draft anyone just because.

More important to me: is this comment a clue that this will be Whaley's draft?

PTR

I think it's the part about not drafting a QB at 8 even though certain fans insist we draft anyone just because.

More important to me: is this comment a clue that this will be Whaley's draft?

PTR

i mean, hes the head of college scouting and AGM... id imagine he will give a lot of input and perhaps some final decisions, even if the torch hasnt been passed.

From BBMB:

Bills Assistant GM Doug Whaley, who oversees the team’s College Scouting Department and organizes the formation of the team’s draft board, said this year’s quarterback class is going to come down to skill set preference.

“In my opinion it’s basically going to come down to what you value over other things,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “All of these guys have a value and some things they do good and some things they don’t do as well. So it’s a matter of what value you put on the quarterback you want to lead your team.”

:blink: Huh?

Didn't know Whaley was in charge of this, but it sounds to me like he's ready to comprimise, which is, of course, what got us into this QB quagmire to begin with.

Here's an idea... How about we NOT do that. -At least not with a high pick.

I dunno about Whaley, but I value progress... Sure hope he's not willing to sacrifice the future just to fill a "need"

He apparently didn't learn a thing while he was in Pittsburgh ! I hope his statement was misunderstood b/c if he meant what he said & If this is our future we are in big trouble !!

From BBMB:

Bills Assistant GM Doug Whaley, who oversees the team’s College Scouting Department and organizes the formation of the team’s draft board, said this year’s quarterback class is going to come down to skill set preference.

“In my opinion it’s basically going to come down to what you value over other things,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “All of these guys have a value and some things they do good and some things they don’t do as well. So it’s a matter of what value you put on the quarterback you want to lead your team.”

Didn't know Whaley was in charge of this, but it sounds to me like he's ready to comprimise, which is, of course, what got us into this QB quagmire to begin with.

I dunno about Whaley, but I value progress... Sure hope he's not willing to sacrifice the future just to fill a "need"

No QB, no progress.

I have been saying this on TSW for years......the draft is a process.....not an event.

Everyone gets worked up about specific players at positions of need leading up to the draft, but if history has proven anything it is that whether a player from the other 21 positions is a bust or a star, there is no organizational progress without good quarterbacking.

Would I rather have a guy like Jarvis Jones, who I see making tons of plays and can easily envision him doing this in the NFL as well over a guy like Matt Barkley, who isn't as impressive of a QB prospect as Jones is as a LB prospect?

Yes. All things being equal, I want the better player.

All things aren't equal though. QB is king.

The Bills haven't drafted a QB with their first pick in any draft since 1960. Since the merger, they have spent half their first picks on DB's and RB's.

That's because they treat each draft like an isolated event.

I understand fans frustrations and with the buildup to the draft we all just want to get the best football player......but the game is disproportionately about quarterbacking.....and that being the case, any potentially decent QB has more potential value than any player at any other position.

And that is all the draft is......evaluating potential.

You can wring your hands about drafting a QB that isn't a sure thing all you want, but the truth is, the Bills could have drafted a QB in the first round of each draft during their 13 year run of failure and not be any worse off than they are today. In fact, they probably would be much better. Cornerbacks, running backs.....even defensive ends and DT's.........they come and they go and no matter how good they are.......they are a luxury pick if you don't have a quarterback.

Different teams value different QB characteristics (ability to get the ball out quickly, leadership ability, ability to throw deep, mobility, etc.) differently.

Where a team puts a guy on their draft board depends on how they value these different characteristics.

I agree with many others that no where does Whaley say the Bills will compromise. He's just saying the value of a QB depends on the value you assign each trait.

What exactly are the things he values over the "other things"? And why are we making a trade-off on such a critical position?

All I'm saying is that if the QB lanscape is that rough, then DON'T waste a high pick on it.

Clearly it's a need in '13... However, if we get it wrong, it'll be a need in '14 '15, '16, '17 etc.

So you're looking for the "perfect" QB? One that does everythiing well? Good luck with that my friend. I don't believe he exists. ALL players have strengths and weaknesses. What Whaley is saying is that they will look for a QB whose strengths fit the system. That is not compromising, that is looking for the right guy for the type of offense the coaches want to run. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's not the words that I take issue with, but the thought process they expose. Whaley oversees the college scouting department, and organizes the formation of the draft board.

After everything we've been through at the quarterback position, why would this decision come down to "a matter of what value you put on the quarterback you want to lead your team."?

How could the value of the Buffalo Bills future franchise QB be something open to interpretation? What other value could it have besides the max?

We don't need a kid with a bazooka arm who can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. We don't a statue in the pocket who stares down recievers, then airs it out to a waiting DB.

I guess i don't see any confidence that we KNOW what we're looking for when it comes down to this critical piece. There's also no recent history of us turning project kids who do "some things" "good" into playoff calibre QB's.

From BBMB:

Whaley Also said that Buddy Nix has final say !

I wish things were that cut and dried...

In this draft, I don't see the traditional runners, big arms, etc... Every QB prospect has serious holes in their game.... This years contingent of pocket passers (Nassib, Glennon) are some of the worst I've ever seen. It's not like these kids do some things good, and others not-so-good. For the most part, they're mediocre at everything.

You're trying to fuse your thoughts and Whaley's and it's not there. "Serious holes" and "Matching skill sets to your offense" aren't exactly congruent analogies.

Russell Wilson. -But that's not the point. The point is, you'll have a hard time finding even a few things that any kid in this QB class is proficient at. Tyler Wilson is the most complete, and he's a project.

I expect us to draft potential starters. -Not two, or three year clipboard stands.

So, Whaley says that all the Quarterbacks in the draft have a value, and he DOESN'T say what the value is (does he rate them as 3rd rounders? 4th rounders?). How does this contradict your point here?

Whaley never said anything contradictory to your "point" here.

As far as Russell Wilson - go check out how he performed against athletic defenses like the Rams. For everyone saying Aaron Rodgers, do you guys really think he'd be as successful in a Kaepernick-like offense as Green Bay's? He's the best QB in the league, but even he has tradeoffs you have to make.

What exactly are the things he values over the "other things"? And why are we making a trade-off on such a critical position?

All I'm saying is that if the QB lanscape is that rough, then DON'T waste a high pick on it.

Clearly it's a need in '13... However, if we get it wrong, it'll be a need in '14 '15, '16, '17 etc.

I feel like this is what we do every year. No QB is good enough besides the top guy, not worth the pick, etc. Then we sit around and B word about all the awesome QBs we missed on.

I say we just trade away a pick or three for Kirk Cousins and be done with it.

I feel like this is what we do every year. No QB is good enough besides the top guy, not worth the pick, etc. Then we sit around and B word about all the awesome QBs we missed on.

I say we just trade away a pick or three for Kirk Cousins and be done with it.

Cousins seems to me like a younger Fitz. He did well in a couple of situations so you assume the sky is the limit and find his limit is the sky. This team has been so snake bitten we see gold in the average and fear those with talent (Kapaernick & Wilson).

Would the OP be offended if the comments were about a QB he intended to pick in the 3rd round? Cause it says nothing in his quote on using the 1st round pick on this QB that has strengths and weaknesses.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't see anywhere Whaley saying that he is planning on using a high pick on a project QB, or QB with a lot of question marks.

Whaley is basically saying what every person, including polian has said about the QBs in this draft.....Let us hang whaley for stating the obvious that everyone thinks about these QBs.

I have no problem with what Whaley said. When evaluating talent, each player has strengths and weaknesses. The choice in deciding who to select is which player's strength works best in your scheme. This statement does not offer any insight, IMO, to the selection of a QB.

Edited by Nitro