Will Bills have a poor record in 2013 ?

Nix got TJ. Does that count? Everybody hates Fitz. Somebody here said it was Gailey. I sat here every game and said don't call that play again and he did. Def. sat there and killed us. Everybody knew what we were going to do. LB, WR, TE and S is what we need to help Fitz. We have him for another year so accept it. Please.

I think the Bills cut ties with Fitz unless he restructures his contract.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix put this franchise in a bind when he didn't attempt to get any credible qb prospect on the roster during his tenure. But as much as we put a lot of emphasis on the qb position Nix's biggest failings is his drafting in general. The only impact player he has drafted in three years is Spiller. I can't think of one lower round pick that turned into a meaningful contributor.

Nix has starkly demonstrated the difference of having a scout mind-set compared to a more complex GM mind-set. A scout ranks players while a GM has to put together a roster, knowing which positions to value over other positions. Someone once made the apt comparison between a checkers and a chess player.

Many people are saying that there are few good qb prospects in this draft. I don't agree with the assessment. Although there aren't qbs in this draft who can immediately step in as a starter, as there were last year, there are a number of good prospects who with some developmental time will be good qbs. The qb I am touting is Tyler Wilson. Because of the turmoil in his program last year and because of injuries he didn't play as well as he did his junior year.

My preference if it can be executed is to trade down and then select your favored qb prospect. With the added pick or picks acquired in the trade down you can still address other needs. The problem with that scenario is that we have a GM who believes in standing pat and not maneuvering around. The stodgy GM's lack of creativity has not gotten us anywhere so far. Why not get out of your tight comfort zone and try a more flexible approach that might prove to be useful?

Couldn't agree more with your notes on Buddy. The man is a locked case. Seemingly unreceptive to changes in his world. -But what OLD MAN isn't? By all rights, he shoulda been fired along with his head coach, but by the skin of his dentures, Buddy hangs on.

I also think Tyler Wilson is the most complete of all the QB prospects, Geno Smith included.

However, as you pointed out, he most likely cannot step in as the immediate starter. That's why I'm of the opinion that free Agency holds the best Option for us at QB. I have little concern about whether Matt Moore, Vince Young, or Drew Stanton, can put points on the board. I believe they can.

Tarvaris Jackson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and (*gulp*) Aaron Corp, by contrast, present serious questions as to the commitment of the HC/OC to winning actual games. They sound more like camp-fodder than prospective starters. -And perhaps that's the idea behind us having them. :ph34r:

Long story short, I think you'll get your wish... It seems more, and more likely that they grab Nassib sooner rather than later in the draft. A HUGE mistake, IMO, but that's how it appears to be shaping-up.

I think that there's alot a young OC, and rookie prospect can learn from a veteran signal caller. -especially one who's had some success. I have no problem with T-Jax getting his shot, I just think the time for that was towards the end of last season. -One more misstep to lay at the feet of Gailey.

If the Bills stay with the current QB's this team will be under .500 again. At best .500. To me after 13 years of no playoffs that is a poor record. The only good record is one that gets the Bills into the playoffs. Maybe Pettine can make this D look like the Jets D from 2009 and Fitz or T. Jackson can do just enough and the Bills get into the playoffs...that is a tall order and the Bills entire team has their work cut out for them.

Long story short, I think you'll get your wish... It seems more, and more likely that they grab Nassib sooner rather than later in the draft. A HUGE mistake, IMO, but that's how it appears to be shaping-up.

I think that there's alot a young OC, and rookie prospect can learn from a veteran signal caller. -especially one who's had some success. I have no problem with T-Jax getting his shot, I just think the time for that was towards the end of last season. -One more misstep to lay at the feet of Gailey.

Drafting Nassib is far from what I would like to see materialize in this upcoming draft.

If the Bills came out of this draft with Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, Bray or Landry Jones then I would be satisfied. At this point I am not too enamored with Nassib. My main concern is why entrust Nix with this critical decision when he has abundantly made it evident that his judgment, especially on the qb issue, has not been very keen?

Would you go back to the same surgeon who screwed up an operation to fix the problem he caused? I certainly wouldn't. The fact that old school Nix is still in his position is a reflection that this organization is still a very flawed organization. You can't create an environment of accountability when you don't hold people accountable.

Edited by JohnC

Drafting Nassib is far from what I would like to see materialize in this upcoming draft.

If the Bills came out of this draft with Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, Bray or Landry Jones then I would be satisfied. At this point I am not too enamored with Nassib. My main concern is why entrust Nix with this critical decision when he has abundantly made it evident that his judgment, especially on the qb issue, has not been very keen?

Would you go back to the same surgeon who screwed up an operation to fix the problem he caused? I certainly wouldn't. The fact that old school Nix is still in his position is a reflection that this organization is still a very flawed organization. You can't create an environment of accountability when you don't hold people accountable.

Couldnt agree more with you. Tell me the last time an orginization kept the old GM around to 'mentor' or help with the 'transition'.

It underminds Whaley if nothing else to some degree.

If we stick with TJ, Fitz and one of these average QBs in the draft then there is a good chance that we will be picking very high in the draft and Could end up 2 - 14.

I like Marrone as our HC as he was my second favorite option and absolutely love pettine, even more than Marrone. However when new coaches come in there is usually a big transition period that takes about a half to a whole season to get the players totally comfortable with the systems. This coupled with our horrible QB situation is going to get us Johny Manziel, who I liken to Tim Tebow with his Charisma, leadership and being a pure gamer but with a good arm.

So as brutal as it would be to have another losing season, it might be the best hope for this team because with out a franchise QB we will never go anywhere regardless of who is coaching. Also next year there are other Good QBs that could be viable options in AJ McCarron, Blake Bortles and Casey Pachall.

I personally hope we go after Alex Smith so that at least we have solid QB to hold the fort till we develop an elite QB but if we go with what we have we are in for another long season.

I'm not even going to waste time reading these posts as the answer is quite obvious. We will end up with a record that is sub 8-8 based on many things including past performance. First of all we are creating more holes than we already had by cutting Nick Barnett and several other players. I am not really fond of most of those players, but we already had enough holes to fill without creating several more Linebacking was already hurting and Barnett was one of our key linebackers? He was solid,not great by any stretch, but not terrible neither.

By making it a point to keep Fitzpatrick it shows me that we are still going in the same direction. I don't like the idea of keeping any of last years QB's and although there is no guarantees out there in FA and the Draft I really dislike the idea of keeping Fitz, and T. Jackson!

I could go on...but I think we are looking at 4-6 wins next season with the implementation of a new offense and defense, coaching staff, and many new players. I expect to take a step back before moving forward, but was hoping it didn't include Fitzpatrick who overthrows his downfield passes, and throws at the ground more often than not on those short 5 or 10 yard dump offs. Yuck!!!

My prediction: 5-11

Wins

Home Wins Home Losses
Miami	 Ravens
Jets	 Falcons
Pats	 Panthers
Bengals	
KC	
Home Wins Home Losses
Jets	 Miami
Browns	 Pats
Jags	 Pitt
Saints
Bucs

It's Marone's job to cast this team in his image.

He's got a lot of work to do, and I don't know that his supporting staff is quite up to it.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

You forgot to note your sarcasm. I'll do it for you:

/sarcasm

Ha! I meant for it to be open to interpretation.

Of course I don't think Alex Smith actually became more talented, but a new coach and scheme was able to get the most out of him. So a guy who had nearly been ran out of town was able to flourish under different circumstances. Perhaps that could be Tarvaris, or even Fitz for that matter. I don't think it's likely, but it's not unheard of.

Ha! I meant for it to be open to interpretation.

Of course I don't think Alex Smith actually became more talented, but a new coach and scheme was able to get the most out of him. So a guy who had nearly been ran out of town was able to flourish under different circumstances. Perhaps that could be Tarvaris, or even Fitz for that matter. I don't think it's likely, but it's not unheard of.

I don't know about Tarvaris but I think what we saw in 2012 was actually Fitz flourishing.....that's perhaps as flourishy as he gets.